Assassin (アサシン, Asashin?) is an Assassin-class Servant summoned by Ritsuka Fujimaru in the Grand Orders of Fate/Grand Order. He was Grand Assassin (グランドアサシン, Gurando Asashin?) until he removed himself of his rank of "Grand" during the battle with Tiamat.
Assassin's True Name is "Old Man of the Mountain" ("山の翁", Yama no Okina?), the first to hold the title of Hassan-i-Sabbah, the founder of the Hashashin where he is considered to be both the first and the last "Old Man." He is given the nickname of King Hassan (キングハサン, Kingu Hasan?) by Ritsuka Fujimaru, to which he takes a liking. Even so, his actual identity was unknown even to the eighteen individuals who came to inherit his titles. Proof that he in fact existed is nowhere to be found—except in the certainty that if ever he who takes the seat of Hassan-i-Sabbah strays from his path, there shall come an executioner to part him from his head.
There was within the sect of the Hashashin not a single witness who could attest to the existence of the original Hassan; all of those who encountered him met their end. He who forged the name of "the Old Man of the Mountain" elected to live as an observer who would enact judgment upon the rot and the deviations of the sect. Even though the sect persisted in righteous accordance to the doctrine of Allah, it was inevitable that those avowed to carry it forth would come to sin in the eyes of Man. Thus, for the preservers the doctrine to lose themselves to the desires of man was to the Old Man of the Mountain all the more a sacrilege against Allah.
Namely, the corruption of the sect’s leader, the current Old Man of the Mountain, would mean the decay of the sect. Whether that leader suffered from a corrupt spirit or declining skills, such a person must not bear the name of the Old Man of the Mountain. To decline was to die. He took their heads in forgiveness of their sin, and passed down hope to the next Old Man of the Mountain.
He chose to fight head-on with a greatsword rather than hidden weapons, in honor of his solemn duty to assassinate assassins. To lay eyes upon his skull mask meant that one’s life was over. After bringing the hammer down upon fools who strayed from the doctrine of the order, the skull-masked swordsman would erase anyone who had witnessed him from the world.
It is said that he, who sent many Assassins to oblivion, remained in the shadows until the destruction of the assassin order. The skull-masked swordsman was a living legend, the abyss of assassins, whom no one has ever witnessed.
In the 6th Singularity, it is given that he resides within the Holy Shrine of Azrael (アズライールの聖廟, Azurai-ru no Seibyou?), a mausoleum situated in a mountainous region somewhere to the north of Jerusalem.
His main outfit consists of a thick purple and black helmet with a skull shaped visor, hiding his face behind it at almost all times and showing nothing but empty blue pupils. He wears a bulky purple and black cuirass with a skull on it, with eerie blue flames pouring out of the eyes. His plackart is designed to represent the ribs of a skeleton. He has large, durable faulds protecting his hips from damage, with a design that represents a skeletal hand wrapping around his waist. He has black and purple cuisses with glowing blue lines running through them, and spiked poleyns on his knees. He has extremely durable graves protecting his shins, and thick sabatons protecting the boots he wears. He has large, skull shaped pauldrons on his shoulders with infernal blue flames coming from the eye sockets, black rerebraces, purple vambraces with large spikes and blue lines running through them, and purple spiked gauntlets. On his back is a seemingly ancient mantle, with a cape that looks just as old and worn.
The Old Man of the Mountain comes off as quite the stern and straight-forward individual. He possesses extremely low tolerance for impoliteness, as he almost immediately annihilated the protagonist's group upon their uninvited visit to his temple.
However, he is far from being heartless, simply a man with unshakable faith and strict code of conduct. He was willing to hear his visitor's plea for aid and accept it, but only on the condition that one of the Hassans be willing to die for it.
In his view, for a Hassan to plea for aid, even from their own kind is a grave dishonor to their name and faith, as they are those who must rely on their own individual strengths to preserve through trials and slay their targets. Any Hassan who grows weak and/or becomes reliant on the strengths of others must be dealt with by his blade.
Due to his fiendish outward appearance and fierce manner of fighting, he's pictured with a ruthless nature, but the individual in question is just silent, with a noble disposition that strictly adheres to the Lord's teachings.
Well-versed in both the law of men and the law of God, he perceives "the suspension of life activities" and "the end of life" as different things.
By God's will, the soul is brought salvation at the end of one's life.
As long as they don't go against the teachings, this individual will be the ally of a righteous person. However, since he absolutely won't show any mercy or consideration, he'll spread fear and dread in battle as if he was the Grim Reaper itself. It is rare for him to say anything, however his intention will be clearly conveyed. When mad, the (skull's) eyes will shine. When sad, the eyes will shine. Even when pleased, the eyes will shine. No matter what, the eyes will shine.
He holds no interest in the other Heroic Spirits and he does not convey his views, thoughts and desires to others. However, towards the other Hassans, he becomes a strict Senpai to the point of being relentless.
「Cursed Arm. What didst thou seek to grasp, to the extent of obtaining that devil's arm? Thine own foolishness? Very well, hand over thy head.」
「Serenity. What hast thou protected with that body soaked with poison? A loneliness that could not even protect a flower blooming in the wilds? Such idiocy. Hand over thy head.」
「Hundred Faces. What hast thou accumulated with thy countless knowledge? A desire to contend thy hundred souls for a single truth? How shallow. Now, hand over thy head.」
No matter what you do, your head will be lopped off.
Hassans of the successive generations
As the Founder, he scolds the Old Men who did a poor job. It goes without saying that scolding = death.
The teachings might be different, but from her belief and obligation towards death he feels something virtuous.
If Chaldea were to be involved with the "Land of Death" once again, if she was also present, there would be no role for him to play, is what he thinks.
The teachings are different, but her decorum towards the "deceased", the attitude of a ruler, is something to which he can nod in approval.
If Chaldea were to be involved with the "Land of Death" once again and she was all alone by herself at that time, the burden might be bit too much for her...is the concern he feels for her.
"O Smoking Mirror. Killing for the sake of killing. Existing to die. If that is thine faith, I am unable to dispute it."
Camelot: The Holy Domain of the Round TableEdit
The Old Man of the Mountain resides in the Holy Shrine of Azrael in the "Camelot" Singularity. He remains neutral when the Lion King and her knights invade the Holy Land and establish the Holy City. However, when Ozymandias plans an attack against the Hashashin that protect the mountain villages, The Old Man of the Mountain sneaks into Ozymandias' territory and manages to cut off his head and disappear afterward. Although Ozymandias survives, he does refrain from attacking the Hashashin.
Approaching the confrontation against the Lion King's forces, Chaldea and the Hashashin attempt to request aid from the Old Man of the Mountain, in order to combat Gawain, traveling to his shrine. Upon approaching the shrine, the Old Man of the Mountain puts forth trials to test the characters of the group, by taking control of Hassan of Serenity who the group manages to defeat. The Old Man of the Mountain thus agrees to aid them, but also telling them that requesting his aid was equivalent in meaning to forfeiting the life of the Hassan of the current generation, Hassan of the Cursed Arm. However, he relents from enacting his customary cost on account of the circumstances of the Singularity. He also sends the group to search the Atlas Institute in the desert to uncover secrets of the Singularity.
During the final battle against the Holy City, the Old Man of the Mountain does appear, concealing the forces of Chaldea and confronting Gawain. He uses his powers to cover the Sun with sand, weakening Gawain. They fight each other for some time until the Old Man of the Mountain releases the Sun, as it is no longer necessary. Gawain attempts to use this opportunity to attack him, but the Old Man of the Mountain still deflects him. He then retreats, claiming that his blade only shall point toward those who err against the will of Heavens, much to Gawain's dismay.
Babylonia: The Absolute Frontline in the War Against the Demonic BeastsEdit
Initially taking the appearance of an old, bearded vagrant and assuming the name of Ziusudra (the hero of the Sumerian flood myth), he awaits the protagonist in the city of Uruk—apparently to again test the protagonist's character. Subsequently, during the protagonists' exploratory mission to the abandoned city of Cuthah, he intervenes when the protagonist's soul is drawn into the Underworld by Ereshkigal.
« You who cannot die -- cannot be said to have ever lived. »
|(the Old Man of the Mountain, to Tiamat)|
In the finale of the Singularity, the protagonists are able to temporarily trap Tiamat within the Underworld by the assistance of Ereshkigal and Ishtar—aiming to utilize the Anti-Divinity property of the territory of the Underworld to weaken her. In the midst of Tiamat's attempt to escape to the surface, the Old Man of the Mountain intervenes by slicing off Tiamat's wings and imposing the Concept of Mortality upon her—stating to the protagonists that he has removed himself of the title of "Grand Assassin" for the opportunity to strike against an Evil of Man. He participates as a guest in the second-to-final confrontation with Tiamat.
King Hassan is the only Heroic Spirit in existence that qualifies to be summoned as Grand Assassin. As a Grand Servant, he stands at the pinnacle of all Heroic Spirits. Differing from his successors, the Old Man of the Mountain terminates his targets not by imposing physical harm, but by severing 'fate' itself by way of an ability similar to the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. He usually exercises his abilities through the use of a sword. In terms of skill in swordplay, he is said to be more than a match for the knights of Camelot; able to duel with Gawain while holding the advantage for an hour. When fighting him inside the sandstorm he had created, King Hassan is able to parry Gawain's attack with his coat. Once the "tolling of the bell passed", Hassan stopped the Sandstorm and deflected a strike from Excalibur Galatine now powered by the Sun claiming "that light couldn't even awaken one who is asleep". After performing said feat, Gawain would go on to speculate that King Hassan may have been even powerful enough to defeat the Lion King by himself. He has also been shown to be capable of eliminating abstract concepts such as Ereshkigal's alliance with the goddesses opposed to Babylonia.
In order to join Chaldea in the final confrontation against Tiamat and serve as Ritsuka Fujimaru's Servant, he was forced to throw away the right to be a Grand since they only exist for the sake of saving all mankind. Still, even after discarding that position, the strength of his Saint Graph wasn't downgraded to that of a regular servant until he granted Tiamat the concept of death, downgrading her own Saint Graph and stripping her of her wings in the process. An impressive feat, considering Tiamat's "Dragonic Corpus" form nullifies attacks ranked A++ or lower, and that it had previously taken the combined efforts of Quetzalcoatl's Xiuhcoatl and Gorgon's Pandemonium Cetus to cut off one horn of Tiamat's weaker "Titan" form.
Even after becoming a normal Assassin Class Servant, he is still a formidable opponent. In the anime adaptation, he is able to slay the New Eleven Offspring birthed by Tiamat with ease, even though they easily defeated Ishtar. He is also able to bite their heads off despite the average Laḫmu's body being hard as diamond. He also shows immunity to Nega-Genesis, able to enter the Bounded Field to aid Ritsuka even though it can instantly destroy Servants by denying all established forms of life.
- Magic Resistance (B Rank): Invalidates spells with a chant below three verses. Even if targeted by High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals, it is difficult for them to be wounded.
- Presence Concealment (A Rank): Erases one’s own presence. It is the vestige of an ability he learned long ago. The swordsman bears a powerful curse which makes his presence known those whom he will kill next, even if he achieves a perfect success on a check to conceal himself. In short, the opponent breaks out in cold sweat, perceiving a premonition of the death that is to be their fate.
- Independent Action (B Rank): Although it was originally an Archer-class specific skill, King Hassan, who attained a faith pure to the extent of shaving off his meat and scraping out his internal organs, is capable of acting at his own discretion by pure will alone.
- At The Boundary (A Rank) is a Skill for those who walk within the Valley, are as one with Death, and are familiar with its ways. He is resistant to death's instantaneous imposition, and as well as the effects of charm. The sword of this individual who continues to walk within the boundary of the Valley is said to add an instant death effect to every attack. Although the probability is low, it presents a danger of dying instantly, no matter how formidable the enemy might be. Those in the Valley are familiar with Death and are one with it, acquiring resistance to instant death and fear. When taking the form of a Servant, the rank is lowered to A since he is leaving the boundary by himself. Instant death immunity, charm immunity, and the addition of instant death effect to normal attacks.
- Battle Continuation (EX Rank) is the ability to resume combat. Allows for survival unless dealt a decisively fatal blow, continuing to fight even when sustaining a wound that leaves one on the verge of death. This swordsman who is no longer certain whether he is alive or dead, even if he receives a fatal wound or loses half of his body, for example, will keep snapping at the enemy as if he was in perfectly good health.
- Natural Body (C(A) Rank) is the possession of a perfect body as a living being since birth. It is possible to increase the rank of the parameter of one's physical strength. A muscular shape even without training, what's more, the body shape won't change no matter how much calorie is ingested...is how it was supposed to be, however, this swordsman has ended up remodeling his body, influenced by his own religious faith. Therefore, the rank is substantially lowered.
- Protection of the Faith (A+++ Rank) is a Skill possessed only by those who have sacrificed themselves for a religious view. Despite being called divine protection, it is not a blessing from a higher existence. It is nothing but the absoluteness of one’s body and mind that was born from their beliefs. ....If it is too high, it causes abnormalities in the personality.
- Uncrowned Martial Arts (-): Skill with arms that was not recognized due to various reasons. The rank of his sword, spear, bow, Riding, and Divinity-related skills is one rank lower each, and the attributes are displayed as the exact opposite of what they are. His parameters are also mentioned to be one rank higher than displayed. On the occasion that his True Name is revealed, this skill is terminated.
- Evening Bell (EX Rank): The signals the announcement of funereal proceedings and the visitation of Death. This unique skill manifests as a result of having become one with the rites of passing. The swordsman of the Evening Bell is without agency in his choice of opponents. He brings salvation to those who have lost sight of their mortality in the place of God.
- The evening bell that informs people of funerals and resounds the call of Death. A unique Skill that manifested as a result of having become one with these rites of passing. This swordsman does not pick those he kills of his own free will; he brings salvation to those who "lost sight of their moment of death" in place of the Lord of Heaven. Everything is by the will of Heaven, therefore, those who end up meeting with this swordsman will know of the end of their fate.
« …Canst thou hear this bell? It tolls for thy destiny’s end. Accept it, and unbind thy soul, for this is thy last chance as a human to slumber in peace »
The Old Man of the Mountain's currently revealed Noble Phantasm is Azrael which consists of decapitation with an ordinary large sword. It is ingrained with the faith that this individual continued to believe in, and spent a lifetime wielding. For those who lose their lives to this sword, they say there is fear, but no pain, there is dread, but no suffering, there is repentance, but no regrets. He, who walked the boundary of the tranquil valley, is said to inflict instant death with every strike of this sword. The chance of this effect is low, but it can deliver instant death to even the most powerful of foes. He, who dwells in the tranquil valley, is familiar with Death. He has become one with it, gaining resistance to instant death and charm effects.
Comment from IllustratorEdit
When it comes to his outward appearance, first was the impression of a "Knight Hassan" so the first draft gave off the feeling a knight in full armor equipped with the mask the other Hassans wear, but he received a revision to strengthen the elements of "Grim Reaper" and "skull", resulting in his current appearance. Anyway, I am delighted that I could cram all the elements I like into him. (Ryota-H)
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 Fate/Grand Order - Old Man of the Mountain, Translation by chaldeum
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 Fate/Grand Order material V King Hassan translation by Konchew
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order Camelot Chapter 15
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order Camelot Chapter 10
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order Camelot Chapter 11
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Fate/Grand Order Camelot Chapter 17
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Fate/Grand Order Babylonia: Section 21 Absolute Demonic Front Mesopotamia (II)
- ↑ Nasu and Takeuchi Q&A leak.
- ↑ Nasu: Personally, I feel that joining Chaldea means that you must throw away the right to being a Grand that exists for the sake of saving all mankind. Still, even after discarding that position, the strength of King Hassan’s Saint Graph itself is still Grand-class. It doesn’t mean that once he loses his Grand position and becomes a normal Assassin, his Saint Graph would immediately lose power. So, by using all the might in that superb Saint Graph, the strike that “granted the concept of death” could be performed. And afterwards, King Hassan’s Saint Graph became that of a normal Servant’s.
 Fate/Grand Order - Tiamat (Beast II) Profile [T]
Tiamat - Beast II
Illustrator and Voice actor
Illustrator: Kotetsu Yamanaka
Voice Actor: Aoi Yūki
Noble Phantasm: -
One of the creator deities of Mesopotamian myth.
The gods were born from the union of the freshwater Abzu and the saltwater Tiamat. Then, the gods rebelled against their father, and seized authority over the world from him.
Tiamat quietly approved of her children’s actions. It was proof that her love for her children outweighed her love for her husband.
However, the gods then turned their blades on Tiamat. Tiamat wailed and raged, birthing eleven new Magical Beasts to oppose the gods.
At the end of the war, Tiamat and the Eleven Beasts were destroyed.
The gods split Tiamat’s corpse in two, and used them to form the heavens and earth. It is said that this ritual created the world of humans.
Unlock: Primal Planet, Admiring the Sky
Height/Weight: 160 cm ~ 74000000 km²(3)・??kg
Source: Ancient Mesopotamian Mythology
Alignment: Chaotic Evil Gender: Female
The black mud is also included in Tiamat’s height. However, the mud is made of imaginary numbers, so her weight is unquantifiable.
Meanwhile, Tiamat’s volume is infinite. In other words, she is a four-dimensional pocket.
Unlock: Primal Planet, Admiring the Sky
Tiamat is the womb that was cast aside after the world was created.
She is the Maternal Sea who was used as the soil to give birth to life, but once the Earth’s environment settled and ecosystems were established, Tiamat was deemed unnecessary and driven out into the world of imaginary numbers. (The Inner World. Lifeless imaginary number space, not a parallel universe.)
Because the Earth’s ecosystems were established, Tiamat, who randomly designs life, was no longer needed.
The goddess became nothing more than an obstacle to the process by which life forms acquired the intelligence determined by the planet.
Since then, Tiamat has been waiting in the world of imaginary numbers for her chance to return to Earth.
Unlock: Primal Planet, Admiring the Sky
- Authority of the Beast: A
This can be considered an anti-humanity Skill.
It is an ability that is especially effective against Heroic Spirits, Divine Spirits, and all things born from the mother’s body.
This Skill is not possessed solely by the Second Beast, but also by all Magical Beasts she gives birth to.
- Independent Manifestation: B
The Skill to manifest independently in the current world.
Seven days after manifestation, the Indian Ocean will be smothered black.
Once Tiamat manifests, she unceasingly gives birth to Magical Beasts, and sets out to devour humanity.
However, the body of the Second Beast is the ocean itself, so it cannot move onto land. Instead, it is her children’s role to mop up the human race.
Furthermore, this Skill is an expression of the holder’s presence across all of space-time, rendering her immune to attacks by methods such as time travel paradoxes, and canceling out all instant death attacks as well.
- Self-Modification: EX
Tiamat can remold her own Saint Graph using the black Sea of Life.
Her body can grow from its standard Saint Graph (Femme Fatale) into that of a dragon over 60 meters in length.
Once Tiamat becomes a dragon, attacks against her of A++ rank or lower are nullified.
Unlock: Primal Planet, Admiring the Sky
- Sea of Life: EX
The Second Beast itself is the sea which gives rise to life.
It cycles the True Ether of primordial Earth, so its mana supply within this sea is infinite.
All who are caught and drowned in the black mud are randomly assigned the following Skills: Self-Modification, Life Transformation, Life Fusion, and Individual Multiplication.
Once these organisms exit the sea to make landfall, they are forced into a cellular-level geis — a nitrogenous base contract (amino-geis) — and automatically become enemies of humankind.
- Nega-Genesis: A
A Skill of the same type as Nega-Messiah, which is possessed by the Sixth Beast.
It is a conceptual bounded field which completely overturns modern evolutionary theory and the predictions of Earth’s genesis.
Thanks to this ability, the Second Beast has acquired a strong resistance to the Noble Phantasms of Servants created by correct human history.
- Monstrous Strength: A++
One’s ability as a monster. This Skill raises the user’s Strength.
It is at about the highest possible level. This is why Tiamat’s Strength is that of a titan when she makes the black mud into her body and manifests in her draconic form.
Unlock: Primal Planet, Admiring the Sky
With the collapse of the cornerstone of anthropic principle, Tiamat managed to return to this world with the power of the Holy Grail. And yet, she was in middle of a slumber.
Setting aside wherever it was caused by Merlin’s magecraft, she awoke from that sleep due to the attack from Chaldea and set out to eradicate mankind in accordance with her instincts.
While there is resentment・hatred・sadness for being discarded as someone who had already served her purpose, this is also a deed of indulging in the “joy” of once again repainting the Earth’s ecosystem and having everything come back to the mother.
Her Class was determined by this true nature described above.
The goddess of genesis and the likes are nothing but fake names.
Deserted by humans, this is one of the most rejected great disasters in human history.
Its name is Beast II.
One of the seven human vices, the beast carrying the principle of "regression."
Unlock: Primal Planet, Admiring the Sky
It is impossible to confirm if Tiamat possesses anything resembling a personality.
Perhaps she lost her intellect, or perhaps she never had one to begin with. Either is acceptable.
The only meaning to her existence is to create, raise, and love her children. Thus, she set out to make war against humanity for declaring that it has no need for her.
It is the functioning of an extremely primitive system: “If I do not exterminate modern humanity, I will be killed.”
•Motivations・Attitude towards the Master
One of seven billion. An obvious target to be obliterated.
While the Second Beast is a repulsive invader to humanity, humans are terrifying aliens (extraterrestrials) to the Second Beast.
ティアマト - ビーストⅡ
- Authority of the Beast: A
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order - Babylonia: Section 20 Absolute Demonic Front Mesopotamia (I)
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order Babylonia Anime Episode 20