Caenis is the name of Caeneus (カイネウス, Kaineusu?) before she wished to become a man. A warrior and tyrant found within Greek mythology. As a member of the Argonauts, Caenis went on many an adventure with the crew. It is said Caenis was once a woman and later became a man.
In the past, Caenis was undoubtedly a true woman, renowned as one of the most beautiful maidens in Thessaly. At one point after turning down numerous courters, Caenis lost her chastity to the sea god Poseidon (Neptune). Satisfied, the sea god offered to grant her all of her wishes, to which Caenis asked to no longer be a woman so she may never be violated ever again. Caenis then became an invincible man, according to legend.
It is unknown if Caenis actually became a man due to some tales left behind. In one story, Caenis is said to have become a bird with golden wings after dying and disappeared into the skies, but another tale says the corpse of a woman was left behind. Either way, the subsequent Caenis/Caeneus became a mighty warrior and showed the world a powerful tyrant that could rule the lands.
At the end of life, Caenis turned into a magnificent bird with golden wings. In Caenis’ current appearance, that same tale has intertwined into a Noble Phantasm. However, there is a chance of the special trait of being able to change appearance at will going out of control. This tale may be the source of why Caenis has a female body and also why Caenis’ body has animal characteristics.
Although she currently has the physique of a woman with a more masculine face, different characters refer to her with both types of gender pronouns. Kirschtaria and Kadoc Zemlupus use male pronouns, while Ophelia Phamrsolone uses a male pronoun but corrects herself to a female one.
As Caenis’ ascension progresses further and further, the Noble Phantasm which consists of Poseidon’s protection and blessing becomes more and more present; Caenis notably gains bunny-like ears for unknown reasons. From this Caenis becomes closer and closer to regaining the form held when once alive. In other words an unparalleled existence with a magnificent suit of armor that reminds one of Poseidon.
In addition to whether Caenis literally became physically male in human history or not, Caenis’s gender on a personal level is unclear. On one hand, she seemed frankly disappointed by not being summoned into her male Saint Graph. However, her dialogue with Da Vinci indicates she does not relate to the idea of transitioning in gender to make one happier with their overall self, or found it strange.
Though holding enough anger to have aptitude as an Avenger, Caenis rarely feels anger in such a way. When in a good mood, Caenis will smile brightly and even if not in a good mood, she will go along with any sort of idle banter. Caenis also has a sweet tooth, so she’ll be beyond pleased if the subject is brought up. However, once Caenis’ inner rage has been set ablaze, it is beyond uncontrollable, even becoming willing to kill Master, and at times entering a frenzy that rivals that of a Berserker.
The reason why Caenis, who despises every deity, served obediently, wasn’t only due to Wodime’s exceptional charisma. Wodime told Caenis in detail the truth of his intent to turn all humans into gods and reorganize the Age of Gods. In short, the gods of old would all lose their way of being. Including the target of Caenis’ fury, the sea god Poseidon. Caenis, therefore, greatly supported Wodime and vowed to display the protections and blessings of the sea god endowed in her body as a Noble Phantasm to their fullest.
Not unlike Mordred, Caenis has a brash demeanor, a short temper, and a sharp tongue. However, her background is more brutal, and she expresses it with various types of physical threats and possibly sexual threats. She is also brutally honest at times, believing Musashi must be a bad person because they’re so similar to each other.
Reflecting the vices of bronze-age Greek heroes, it seems at first that Caenis is a “might makes right” tyrant character. Being a victim of tyranny and the gods, while also bestowing tyranny and using the powers of Poseidon, Caenis is empowered by everything that has harmed her, and it may account for her emotional and dangerous tendencies.
Caenis, however, also adheres to principles of Xenia, the essential Greek value of hospitality. There is also a hidden frail side to her that is still in pain from her past trauma with Poseidon, and likely the closest thing to her original feminine character.
- Kirschtaria Wodime
- Caenis seemed to deeply respect Kirschtaria as her Master and his greater vision, and was quite loyal to him. Even after be summoned by Ritsuka, she has to remind herself that Kirishtaria is no longer her Master.
- They have a lot in common and so get along great, often being training partners.
Anastasia: Permafrost Empire
Caenis is a Servant under Kirschataria Wodime, implied to have earned her cooperation by defeating her. Kirischtaria sends her to observe the "Anastasia" Lostbelt, in case Kadoc is unable to handle the situation with Chaldea.
Caenis later meets with Kadoc and Anastasia, provokingly questioning if Kadoc is able to handle the burden of raising the Lostbelt. Kadoc, however, is confident in his abilities, believing that he and Anastasia will be the victors in the end. Caenis is convinced by Kadoc's answer, promising to tell Kirischtaria that he is doing fine and also noting that the King of the Russian Lostbelt is truly a top-class monster on par with the chief deity under Kirschtaria. Caenis also asks about Chaldea, with Kadoc saying that they have appeared and he will deal with them. Caenis then leaves, presumably returning to Kirischtaria.
Götterdämmerung: The Eternal Flame Century
Caenis appears in Scáthach-Skadi after the latter ceased the fight between Ritsuka's party and Sigurd. Frustrated she hasn't killed anoyone in the last few months, she decides to kill Ritsuka, impressed that they killed Ivan the Terrible. Napoleon Bonaparte defends them and he is defended by Sigurd as Skadi doesn't permit killing. Caenis is ready to fight Sigurd when she realizes his true identity. She then delivers Kirschtaria's message. Following the message, she threatens to kill Skadi when she nearly recounts Poseidon raping her. Ophelia demands she return straight to Kirschtaria, having heard a number of Heroic Spirits from Proper History had appeared in that Lostbelt's ocean with Poseidon gone. Caenis agrees to return to the Atlantic Lostbelt, saying she needs to check in on Artemis. She expects Ritsuka and Mash to succeed and have grown stronger when they next meet.
As Surtr heads for the northern mountains with Ophelia on his shoulder, Caenis expresses disgust and disappointment that someone like Ophelia is a Crypter. Annoyed by the whole situation, she prepares to return to the Atlantic Lostbelt. She finds it unbelievable that Skadi allowed Surtr to resurrect, but Koyanskaya say Skadi's inability to conceive of his resurrection is why the Lostbelt was pruned. Though Koyanskaya doubts Skadi would have do anything about him even if she knew of his relation to Sigurd. Caenis wonders if Skadi is the type to let nature run its course of if she pities Ophelia. Koyanskaya comments that Skadi's way of thinking limits the Lostbelt's potential. She then leaves, expecting to Caenis again in the Atlantic Lostbelt. Caenis comments that Koyanskya thinking herself as irreplacable just means she'll die sooner than she realizes. She tells the absent Koyanskaya not to assume every Lostbelt is on her side, calling her "pet."
Atlantis: Ocean in the Age of Titans
Olympus: Interstellar Mountain City
Back when Caenis was a member of the Argonauts, there was nothing special about her. Jason states she wasn't stronger than anyone else. However, having been favored by Poseidon to an unusually great extent, her Saint Graph was created with a drastically enhanced Spiritual rank. Since the vessel of a Heroic Spirit is incapable of containing her, Caenis manifests as a Divine Spirit. Due to this, her Saint Graph is super high quality, making her a really high-end Servant.
Kirschtaria Wodime claims that if Ophelia Phamrsolone dared offend her, Caenis would destroy her Lostbelt, king and all. Ophelia doubts it, and although it is beyond her capabilities to keep a Divine Spirit such as Caenis in check, she states that the power of her Lostbelt King is easily a match for a Divine Spirit's. On top of that, she also claims to have the strongest knight to ever live at her disposal, and she says that she can't imagine either of them having anything to fear, even from Caenis. Jingle Abel Meuniere and Super Orion state that Dioscuri are Divine Spirit Servants even stronger than Caenis. Caenis was also defeated in combat fair and square by Kirschtaria Wodime.
Having the backup of Poseidon grants Caenis access to his Authority over the sea. This allows her to navigate it and cross any border, Lostbelt or not. It was his gift that let her move freely between Lostbelts. Furthermore, because Poseidon was the same kind of ship god as Demeter, and he used to be as much a god of land as Gaia was, Caenis can use his Authority over the land too. This allows her to easily neutralize Demeter Klironomia making the Olympian Soldiers immortal, and subsequently kill them with one strike. However, when used against Demeter herself, she isn't capable of completely nullifying her regeneration, but just slow it down instead.
Her armaments are a large-tipped Spear and a Shield. She can slam her shield into her opponent in a punching motion to damage them. Due to possessing the Authority of Poseidon, she's able to attack with torrents of water from her spear and simply by shouting.
Caenis is strong enough to block Napoleon's blasts with just one hand without feeling any pain. Caenis states that she has had to take a lot of "weak" Noble Phantasms to the face in the past, but that Sherlock Holmes' Elementary, My Dear is by far the most irritating. Mash Kyrielight and him are able to hold their own against her until she leaves. Holmes states he was only able to handle Caenis's spear thanks to his experience against Demonic Swords.
Super Orion and Mandricardo are fast enough to react and block a surprise attack from Caenis. Despite being exhausted after the fight with Aphrodite, Caenis was able to react to the Dioscuri twins, who move at near-light speed. Senji Muramasa was able to sneak behind Caenis and touch her spear without her noticing.
During the events of the Atlantic Lostbelt, Prometheus-Hephaestus modified Caenis' Saint Graph so that it could better synchronize with Poseidon's Authority, raising her Spiritual rank. With Caenis' unparalleled spear and Mash Kyrielight's invincible shield, Miyamoto Musashi states that the three of them should be able to take both Dioscuri down simultaneously. Being pushed back, Castor resorts to moving faster than light to catch Ritsuka Fujimaru. After he breaks free, Macarios and Adele finish them off with a special Spell. Caenis was later shown to be capable of defeating Ashiya Douman's clone body. Limbo is shocked he couldn't defend against her "pitiful" techniques, only to then realize that Caenis is not only protected by Poseidon, but she also wields her own lightning and gold. Limbo says she was hiding her true strength. Caenis was unnable to react to Chaos's beams moving faster than light.
After Kirschtaria Wodime dies, Caenis unlocks her final Ascension. In this form, her Saint Graph pattern doesn't match the one in Chaldea's records at all. While Caenis did have some Divinity mixed in previously, Goredolf Musik states that in this form every pore in her Saint Graph emanates a divine aura, almost like a pure Divine Spirit. Sherlock Holmes says that she has quite clearly become a god in her own right. He says that it would be no exaggeration to call her a direct proxy of Poseidon himself. She is defeated by Holmes and Mash Kyrielight.
- Magic Resistance (C Rank): Caenis states that Aphrodite's song punches through her Lancer Saint Graph's Magic Resistance like it's nothing.
- Mad Enhancement (EX Rank): The tyrannical hero, Caenis possesses a special Madness Enhancement in her current manifestation. Normally, she retains her senses, but if her anger passes a certain point, she turns into a storm of spears that one can not reason with at all. Not only is she capable of murdering even her Master, she actually has the tendency to proactively terminate her manifestation by killing her Master.
- Divine Core of the Sea God (B Rank): The Heroic Spirit Caenis didn't originally have a Divine Core, but the sea god Poseidon gave that Saint Graph a special grace. As a rare exception, Caenis, who was summoned as a Servant, possesses a pseudo-Divine Core, and possesses a Spirit Origin not as a Heroic Spirit but as a Divine Spirit.
- Monstrous Strength (B+ Rank): No information available.
- Spear of Pillaging (B Rank): No information available.
- Favor of the Sea God (A Rank): The absolute defense brought with immortality. Conceptual defense. It would originally be a constantly active-type Noble Phantasm, but in this work it's manifested as a skill. Thanks to this boost granted by the Sea God, she feels powerful enough to go around calling herself a Divine Spirit. Poseidon Blessing turned a Skill.
Caenis' first Noble Phantasms is Poseidon Blessing. A conceptual defense that makes it impossible to so much as scratch Caenis at the sea, or rather, on the Greek god's own ocean. Caenis' unbeatable defense makes her immortal, and not even the combined efforts of Super Orion, Mandricardo, Mash Kyrielight, Mochizuki Chiyome, and Jason are able to match her. As she progresses through her Ascensions, this Noble Phantasm embodying the Sea God's protection/blessing becomes increasingly pronounced, and Caenis attains a form that leans closer to her self from her living days. In other words, it is the form of the brilliant and unparalleled existence clad in magnificent armor reminiscent of the great Sea God Poseidon's figure────the form of the "Immortal Warrior". Holding one of Poseidon Spiritual Cores is enough to nullify the effects of this Noble Phantasm, and it allowed Orion to defeat Caenis without further aid.
Caenis second Noble Phantasm is Lapithai Caeneus. An Anti-Army Noble Phantasm that sublimates her own existence itself as a Noble Phantasm. Performing a transformation into the "bird with golden wings" that they transformed into upon death, and dealing damage to the enemy army by assaulting them while soaring. Although it was able to shake Demeter's massive core, it wasn't enough to bring her down, only to make her lurch.
Caenis' final Noble Phantasm is Poseidon Maelstrom. A powerful attack that pulverizes the target with a massive ocean current. As a restricted reproduction of just a small portion of the sea god Poseidon's Authority over the Ocean, its original area of effect is believed to reach the gigantic scale of an Anti-Country Noble Phantasm, if not even higher. Caenis used it to blow away over twenty autonomous weapons and Olympian Soldiers using flight Spells. Caenis was shocked she actually succeeded destroying all of them, and she states she believed it was going to take at least two or three shots.
Forms and Alternate versions
By changing into a swimsuit, Caenis has acquired a Rider Saint Graph. He has been hired in the position of a temporary security officer by Goredolf Musik. While he will earnestly fulfil his duties as a temporary security officer for Chaldea in the summer, he still intends to enjoy himself in his own way in the meantime. It’s not uncommon for Lancer Spirit Origins to approach the beachside alone, but the Spirit Origin of this time has taken up a surfboard and entered the sea while saying “I’m headed off for a bit!”
- Riding (EX Rank): Caenis’ mount is a water Dragon――― A legendary great sea snake (Sea Serpent), which is a subspecies of the Dragon species. While it may be a subspecies, he can ride members of the Dragon species freely, so his Riding skill has received this nonstandard rank.
- Divine Core of the Sea God (B Rank)
- Beach Crisis (Poseidon) (EX Rank): A Summer Spirit Origin Skill not dissimilar to Beach Flower or Beach Crisis. People who are attracted to the shape of the young maiden’s perfected and beautiful body will suffer the Curses of the Sea God. “Why do you have this skill, even though your exposure is no different from usual!?” Fergus said as he was cursed.
- Kaiou-ryuu (B Rank): An original combat style jointly developed with Yagyu Tajima Mori. It specializes in waterside combat. Caenis says, “This sort of thing is all fun and games.” It isn’t something made by hard work, nor is it something that will remain in later times. Let’s try it a little, let’s try it, let’s try out this practical joke. One summer’s dream.
- Summertime Combat (B+ Rank): A skill embodying the knowledge gained from his time as a temporary security officer for Chaldea in the summer. Enhanced combat performance. Particularly, additional bonuses will be added when fighting on the waterside.
Creation and Conception
Azusa is the character designer for Lancer.
- Fate/Grand Order - Caenis profile translated by Konchew
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Anastasia: Permafrost Empire - Prologue
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Anastasia: Permafrost Empire - Section 12: Imminent Slaughter
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century - Section 6: Castle of Snow and Ice (End)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century - Section 14: Bringing Twilight Here Once Again (Middle)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Atlantis: Ancient Ocean of the Dreadnought Gods, Section 1: Crisis After Crisis
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Atlantis: Ancient Ocean of the Dreadnought Gods - Section 11: Glimmers Like a Meteor
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 4: Thou Art the Harvest that Reaps the Stars (I)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 7: Thou Art the Harvest that Reaps the Stars (IV)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 12: Thou Art the Ardor that Corrupts the Stars (IV)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 14: Souls To Be Equals in Due Course (I)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 15: Souls To Be Equals in Due Course (II)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 17: Souls To Be Equals in Due Course (IV)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 19: I Am the Thunder that Smites Stars (II)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 23: The Day to Bring Down Gods
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 26: One Day, At the Beyond
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century - Section 4: Lord of Creation (End)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Olympus: Interstellar Mountainous City - Section 22: Void
- Fate/Grand Order - Summer Caenis profile translated by Justiciar_Jyggalag at Reddit