Caster's True Name is Thomas Alva Edison (トーマス・アルバ・エジソン, Tōmasu Aruba Ejison?), the King of Inventors (発明王, Hatsumei-Ō?) and lifelong rival and nemesis of Nikola Tesla. Born in the 19th century, he was an American inventor whose vast number of achievements are such that they need not be said. He was one who, rather than coming up with inventions on his own, was "extremely proficient at reconstructing the work of other pioneers into easily proliferated forms." He was extremely dedicated to his work, sleeping only three to four hours per day and otherwise fully exerting himself in work at all times. He held cordial relationships with many other inventors, such as Alexander Graham Bell and Charles Babbage, but his rivalry with Tesla was the one exception.
Due to his unique summoning, Caster's body is different from how he was in life, and his proportions differ from historical records.
Although granted a lion's head due to the summoning, Caster's intellect is undiminished, allowing those familiar with him to realize "ah, this is indeed Edison" after a bit of conversation. He has a very straightforward personality, and it is said there are not many points of caution for the Master when dealing with him as a Servant. He does unconsciously repeat the work habits he had in life, so careful attention is recommended to the Master so as to keep him from sleep deprivation or overwork.
Due to his rivalry in life with Tesla, they will have all relations inevitably break down into a fistfight upon both manifesting as Servants.
E Pluribus Unum: The Grand Battle of Legends in North AmericaEdit
Edison was summoned in the "E Pluburis Unum" Singularity. To combat the Celtic army of Queen Medb, all the American presidents from throughout America's history improve his abilities with a Mystic Code in order to give the United States a fighting chance against a magic army born of the Holy Grail, although their combined ambitious natures accidentally cause Edison to become more dictatorial. Edison gathered the survivors of the initial Celtic onslaught and founded the United Western States, anointing himself as Presi-King of the United Western States. Edison created the Mechanized Infantry, an army of robots based on those designed by Charles Babbage, albeit electricity-powered rather than steam-powered, to combat the Celtic Horde. Edison also befriended Heroic Spirits Helena Blavatsky and Karna to get their help in seizing the Holy Grail from Medb in order to finally beat the Celts in this East-West War, as well as the use the Grail's powers to create an eternal and invincible American Empire.
The Protagonist's party is captured by Edison's robot soldiers led by Blavatsky, and are and brought to his castle, where Edison tries to convince them to join his army as Servants of the United Western States. The party refuses his offer, causing Edison to imprison them. However, they escape, thanks to the help of Geronimo, a member of the Resistance that opposes both Medb's kingdom and Edison's regime. The Protagonist's party later face Edison again, infiltrating his castle and defeating him. Edison is then convinced by Florence Nightingale to fight for Chaldea's cause, becoming the Protagonist's new Servant. They split the forces of the Mechanized Infantry into two armies that attack the Celtic base, with Edison being one of the leaders of the northern army. The northern army confronts the Celtic warriors, with Edison helping in the battle. When Nikola Tesla arrives to help the northern army, Edison is annoyed by his presence and fights with him after the threat of the Celts is neutralized.
Salomon: The Grand Time TempleEdit
Edison is one of the "E Pluribus Unum" Singularity Servants that arrive to aid the Protagonist.
As a person born in the 19th Century, Edison boasts worldwide fame, however, his capacity as a Servant is somewhat inferior due to being one of the most recent Heroic Spirits. In order to compensate for that in this summoning, all the Presidents of the United States of America throughout history granted him a Mystic Code that "would reinforce the concept of 'Edison'." With the exception of luck, all of his abilities have been augmented, making for a strange distribution of his parameters and Class Skills where they are either E or EX. Caster also has a superhuman elixir that, if imbibed, can turn him into Thomas Mazda Edison; however, in exchange, Caster will lose his humanity. His Noble Phantasm is World Faith Domination. Although its power output is lower than Nikola Tesla's System Keraunos, by slowly but continuously overloading it, he is able to sync it with Tesla's in order to momentarily seal Clan Calatin. If he completely overload's it, its power would be greatly increased, however, doing so would result in his death.
- Territory Creation (EX (D) Rank): Creates the lab of the great Edison, king of inventors. Those who work under Edison as a servant are forced to work non-stop 24 hours a day.
- Item Construction (EX (D) Rank): Edison is famous for the invention of many items that remain used today. Some say he only improved on the inventions of others, but his achievements still remain undeniable. As a servant, Edison can upgrade the weapons and NPs of other servants. The success rises the lower the divine mystery level of the target is. However, NPs that are derived from achievements (like God Hand) cannot be upgraded.
- Single-Mindedness (B Rank): The ability to immerse oneself in something, exhibiting a superhuman degree of focus. It was said that Edison slept for an average of only three hours.
- Mass Production (A Rank): The ideal form of the world (America) that Edison's inventions led to. He can mass produce a nearly infinite number of soldiers to act as his subordinates. There seems to be some sort of balance being kept, but its being done by someone or something that is not around him. The resources being consumed are from a place unrelated to America, so he has no qualms with exploiting it fully.
- Conceptual Improvement (A+ Rank): The special right and unfair advantage of improving any tool, from any given time or place. A bow becomes stronger, a sword becomes sharper, an axe becomes heavier. By combining this skill with Mass Production, he is even capable of mass-producing weapons that demonstrate the same destructive power of a low grade Noble Phantasm. The amount by which something can be improved depends on the rank of the skill. At A+, he is able to bestow conceptual improvements on almost anything outside of Divine Constructs.
- Shapeshift (C Rank): Though he has transformed to have the head of a lion, his intelligence and charisma remain unaffected. However, due to his body being filled to the edge of bursting, he is unable to control it well, causing his parameters themselves to be quite low.
pako is the character designer for Thomas Edison.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fate/Grand Order Profile of Thomas Edison, translated by Master of Chaos at Beast's Lair.
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order - E Pluribus Unum: Section 21 North American Myth War (Ending)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Fate/Grand Order material III: translated section on Thomas Edison's Skills.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Fate/Grand Order material III: section on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Thomas Edison, Charles Babbage and Paracelsus von Hohenheim Personal Skills, translated by TwilightsCall at Beast's Lair.