The departments that compose it as well as the workshops of its members (which are mainly underground facilities) are located in the British Museum. It is only a venerable museum to normal people of course, but at the deepest part, there is a special area called the "Bottom of the Bridge" where the Association confines many sealing designated magi deemed to be "dangerous because their talents were too outstanding." Also, apparently the Gazamy the "Evil Spook", treated as the number one disaster in the Association, is locked up at the bottom of the London tower. However, some affiliated buildings and institutions are known to be located elsewhere. An example of those would be the Norwich Student Dormitory, where the first meeting between Luviagelita and Rin took place. The receptionist Octavia Leyland recounts the fight that resulted in this particular case as the worst incident in the story of the building.
From the outside, Clock Tower appears to be an appealing and welcoming place, but the truth is not so bright. Actually, the inner workings of the place are ruled by the power struggles between several factions of Magi. In Heaven's Feel True Ending, Rin described her trial in London as being more a parade than anything else: although it had over 300 participants, the majority of them were Magi who wanted to gain favor with the higher ranks.
The Clock Tower is built atop Spirit Grave Albion, the corpse of a mountain-sized dragon that did not venture to the Reverse Side of the World with the coming of the Age of Man, and later died trying to dig down to the Reverse Side. Built like a labyrinth, Spirit Grave Albion is the source of many supplies for the maguses of the Clock Tower, and also home to magical beasts. The deeper you go the stranger things get, as you grow closer to the Reverse Side of the World. At the bottom of Spirit Grave Albion is Kalion Observatory, the oldest room of the Clock Tower and where Sealing Designations are decided.
Clock Tower is currently under the control of a pseudo-aristocratic elite called the Lords. Each Lord holds great political power within the Association just by himself, and there is also those who associate themselves to other talented Magi or an important Magi lineage in a sponsor-sponsored relationship so to increase their influence.
Maybe due this elitist background, preconceived and discriminatory behavior is somewhat widespread inside Clock Tower. Rune and Witchcraft Thaumaturgy are not very popular in the main branch, the latter not being taught as an academia at all. The Enforcers are looked down upon by the upper ranks. Discrimination against Asians is common, which might be a factor on why so few of them are members of the Association.
Admission of new members also involves exams to test one's knowledge of Magecraft, but is possible to bypass this through letters of recommendation or if one is the successor of a distinct lineage of magi. Said "outstanding" individuals receive special treatment such as individual rooms in the dormitory or the right to bring along a couple of apprentices. The apprentices won't have to pay for enrollment or go through the examinations themselves, but they won't be seen as members of the Association either. The organization handling patents relating to magic is also the Clock Tower, and the current finances of the Tohsaka family is being by covered by the patent royalties that are being transferred to their account.
The Clock Tower has three major factions:
- Barthomeloi - Aristocratic faction.
- Trambelio (トランベリオ, Toranberio?) - Democratic faction
- Meluastea (メルアステア, Meruasutea?, Meluastella) - Neutral faction
The streets are made of bricks and stone. The buildings from the 12th Century are well-preserved, creating a juxtaposition of the Medieval and the modern. The town consists of over 40 student dormitories (called Colleges), over a hundred research buildings, as well as the business districts that supplied the residents.
The Clock Tower divides the city based on faculty and department, divided into 12 domains of mysticism. The architecture varied depending on the district, the city reflecting the specialties of each faculty. The Twelve Faculties are ruled by the Twelve Lords. The majority of the magi study General Fundamentals and then enter the Faculty that was associated with the lineage. Magi might also enroll in other Faculties as associates to help further his studies in his own Faculty.
The twelve departments of mysticism include:
- General Fundamentals (全体基礎, Zentai Kiso?) is the majority of the magi study in for about 5 years which include common magical knowledge, sympathetic magecraft, contagious magecraft, leyline studies, and mana studies. It is designated as (I) and the department of Mystile (ミスティール, Misutīru?).
- Individual Fundamentals (個体基礎, Kotai Kiso?) is designated as (II) and the faculty of Solonea (ソロネア, Soronea?).
- Spiritual Evocation (降霊, Kōrei?) designated as (III) and the faculty of the Eulyphis (ユリフィス, Yurifisu?) family. Originally the house of Lord Eulyphis manages this faculty until Lord Sophia-Ri took over. Currently Sola-Ui Nuada-Re Sophia-Ri's father is the head of the faculty and his son Bram Nuada-Re Sophia-Ri is his successor of the position. It studies the Magecraft of summoning spiritual beings that work through a spiritual medium such as spiritual surgery (霊媒術, reibaijutsu?), spiritual possession. Rocco Belfaban is the head of the Department of Summoning. Merem Solomon's power to create his Great Demon Beasts also falls along these lines.
- Mineralogy (鉱石, Kōseki?), also known as Geology, designated as (IV) and the faculty of Kishur (キシュア, Kishua?). It is the study of mystical properties of mineral substances such as jewels.
- Zoology (動物, Dōbutsu?) is designated as (V) and the faculty of Chimera (キメラ, Kimera?).
- Anthropology (伝承, Denshō?), also known as Lore, is designated as (VI) and the faculty of Brishisan (ブリシサン, Burishisan?). Since the founding of the Clock Tower, the Lore Department has been known to be the department with the least number of students. They deal with relics that aren't of this world and report directly to the head of the Clock Tower.
- Botany (植物, Shokubutsu?) is designated as (VII) and the faculty of Yumina (ユミナ?). It is known as the department for witchcraft.
- Celestial body (天体, Tentai?) designated as (VIII) and the faculty of the Animusphere family. It was generalized as Astronomy Faculty but it included divisions such as Astrology, Planetology, and Divinity. Aoko Aozaki once studied in this faculty.
- Creation (創造, Sōzō?) is designated as (IX) and the faculty of the Valuay (バリユエ, Bariyue?) family. Lord Valueleta is the head of the Creation department. Most magi within the faculty consider themselves to be artists in some sense. The Iselma family is one example, as they pursue the creation of 'the most beautiful person'.
- Curse (呪詛, Juso?) is designated as (X) and the faculty of Jigmarie (ジグマリエ, Jigumarie?).
- Archaeology (考古学, Kōkogaku?) is designated as (XI) and the faculty of Astaire (アステア, Asutea?). It is the Department of Universal Research, broadly studies all worldwide and historical matters. The Eleventh Faculty known as Rocks Road earned their name as the weakness, there's nothing on the streets. Rocks Road was an area distant from the power struggles of the Association, so such danger did not exist. They are a group of pure academics who studied archaeology and nothing else. They were not the kind to arrest trespasser and cause quarrel. Sir Flauros research building was a mansion larger than 200-tsubo, it looked like a small castle. Lev Uvall is the director of this research building. This is the department where Touko Aozaki, Souren Araya and Cornelius Alba once worked together.
- Modern Magecraft Theories (現代魔術論, Gendai Majutsu-ron?) is designated as (XII) and the faculty of Norwich (ノリッジ?). It is the most recent faculty, established between at the start of the 20th century. It aims at summarising the thaumaturgy of the past centuries as a broader, shallower, more general magecraft that is "easier to use", and adapted to modern society. Currently Lord El-Melloi II is the head of the department.
- Although Policies (法政, Hōsei?) ia the 13th item and ia open to those who wish to pursue politics, it is more of a social science rather than a discipline in the pursue to mysticism. As a result, it is not included in the Twelve Faculties. Barthomeloi Lorelei is its leader, and Hishiri Adashino and Goldolf Musik are part of this faculty.
- The person of highest position in the Clock Tower, "The Director" has been the same person for the two thousand years since the founding of the Association, and because of this is thought to be something more than human.
- Barthomeloi Lorelei
- Also known as "The Queen" of London's Clock Tower and the Vice Director of the Mage's Association.
- Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi
- Instructor in the Department of Spiritual Evocation. Killed in the Fourth Holy Grail War.
- Inorai Valualeta Atroholm
- She is the head of the Creation department.
- Lord El-Melloi II
- Instructor. Formerly a student to Kayneth and later succeeded him as Lord El-Melloi II. He has produced many excellent disciples. He is the head of the Department of Modern Magecraft Theories.
- Marisbury Animusphere
- The head of the Astronomy faculty. He is the founder and Director of the Chaldea Security Organization.
- Rocco Belfaban
- Rocco is the head of the Department of Summoning (召喚科学, Shōkan Kagaku?) who held the position for over fifty years in the Mage's Association.
- Bram Nuada-Re Sophia-Ri
- One of the first-class instructors and the successor of the head of the Department of Spiritual Evocation.
- Darnic Prestone Yggdmillennia
- A second-class lecturer. Later defected the Mage's Association and created the Yggdmillennia clan.
- Feend vor Sembren
- A first-class instructor of the Clock Tower and a Master of Red faction team in the Great Holy Grail War.
- Hishiri Adashino
- A member of the Policies department.
- Mr Flauros
- He was the director of a small research building in the Department of Archaeology (Rocks Road).
- Lord (君主, Kunshu?)
- Twelve Department Heads of the twelve faculties
- Monarchs (君主, Kunshu?)
- The three major families that hold sway over the Clock Tower, Barthomeloi, Trambelio, and Valualeta, and around twenty families of relatives. They are objects of fear within the Clock Tower, and they are even well-known in normal society. The one with the shortest family history is of five hundred years, while the longest has a history of over two thousand years. The families have been plotting for a very long time.
 Kara no Kyoukai Special Pamphlet - Encyclopedia: Mage's Association [Others], p.039-040 [T]
Mage Association [Others]
A self-defense organization formed by practitioners of magegraft, transcending nationality and genre. (Of course, this is in name only.)
Its mission is to manage, conceal, and develop magecraft.
It reserves the use of force to protect itself from entities that threaten its existence (the Church, other mage organizations, and individuals who hunt what they consider taboo). In order to promote the development (or regression?) of magecraft, the Association set up research institutions and established laws that forbid the criminal use of magecraft.
The headquarter of the Association is in London, England. It is also called the Clock Tower.
The Association is divided into three departments. Besides the Clock Tower, there are also the "Giant's Cellar" in the Atlas mountains in Egypt, and the "Sea of Astray", the integrated association in Northern Europe. The "Sea of Astray" was the original Association that predated the Clock Tower, and had ceased communication with the Association since the Clock Tower became the headquarter.
Also, the Association deems the Magic Foundation of the Middle East and the philosophies of magecraft from the continent* as incompatible with its teachings. Conversely, the other two schools also reject the Association.
Furthermore, as Alba stated in the story, the mage organizations in Japan did not join the Association.
 Character material - Prelude I: The Mages' Association [Organization], p.021
The Mages' Association [Organization]
A self-preservation agency formed by practitioners of magecraft, regardless of nationality or race (of course, in name only).
Its directive was to control, conceal, and further develop magecraft.
The Association had the martial power to protect itself from those who threaten its existence. It also possessed facilities for the further development of magecraft. The Association enforced a set of laws that prevented the criminal use of magecraft.
At the moment, the centre of the Association resided in London.
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order - Lostbelt: Permafrost Empire Anastasia - Section 1 translation
- ↑ Lord El-Melloi II Case Files Volume 8
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
 Fate/complete material III: World material - Theory of Magic - The two great forces in the Thaumaturgy world: Mage's Association, p.051
“Clock Tower”, the Highest Institute of Magic
The Clock Tower, the core of the Association and in fact what could also be said to be the Association itself, is based in the British museum of London. Magi from all over the world gather and devote themselves day and night to the study of magic, while at the same time, are busily tripping over and being tripped over by other factions and competing for power and budget. The organization is anything but harmonious and has a complicated bizarre structure, but the magical research there is without doubt the leading edge.
Below the building, there is the magi’s research area which includes studies and archives. It is only a venerable museum to normal people of course, but at the deepest part, there is a special area (prison?) called the “Bottom of the Bridge” where the Association confines many sealing designated magi deemed to be “dangerous because their talents were too outstanding.” Also, apparently the Gazamy the “Evil Spook”, treated as the number one disaster in the Association, is locked up at the bottom of the London tower.
The person of highest position in the Clock Tower, the “Director” has been the same person for the 2000 years since the founding of the organization, and because of this is thought to be something more than human.
The organization handling patents relating to magic is also the Clock Tower, and the current finances of the Tohsaka family is being by covered by the patent royalties that are being transferred to their account.
Ranks of Magi
A magus is given a “rank” that matches his ability. The highest is said to be Crown (Grand), but details on it are unknown. Note that Lord El-melloi II, lecturer at the Clock Tower who has produced many Grands among his pupils, is stuck in the mediocre “fourth rank” for some reason.
Separate from the normal ranks, color-based titles are given to those that have become special.
The highest are red, blue, and yellow based on the three primary colors. After that, there are the combined colors of orange, purple, green, black, and so on. The further down you go, the less your rank is. Note that there is no rule about only one person for each color. The Association will, without any stinginess, award a color to you if you’re a magus of great stature or one with an unusual talent.
Sealing Designation Enforcers
If you receive a “sealing designation”, you will be confined and even your magic research will be gone, not to mention your freedom. Thus, the person given that designation will of course desperately resist that and won’t stop fighting. To forcefully retrieve magi who were qualified enough to be given a sealing designation, the Association dispatches “Enforcers.” There are around 30 of them total, and Bazett is one of them.
Lords, consuming their time in power struggles
In the Magic Association, no rather, the Clock Tower, there are a number of families that hold sway. They are called Lords and are the objects of fear. There are three major families of Lords and about 20 families of relatives. These families are well-known even in normal society. The history of one family is at shortest 500 years and the longest is over 2000 years. They have been plotting and plotting since a staggeringly long past.
The Sea of Estray, together with the Atlas Institute, is an organization called the original form of the Magic Association.
Among the founders of the Magic Association, there had been many heretical magi who were exiled from the Sea of Estray and the Atlas Institute and had no place left to go.
The base of the Sea of Estray is in Northern Europe. This base, with the nickname of the Moving Stone Coffin, is itself a moving mountain range. Normally it is wandering at sea as its name suggests, but sometimes it comes up on dry land.
It seems they research mainly body alteration, but the specifics are unknown.
*What is an alchemist?
One who studies the flow of matter. That is what an alchemist is. The alchemists of the Clock Tower created products like the homunculi of the Einzbern by merging with western magery.
However, the ultimate goal of the alchemists of the Atlas Institute is set even closer to the original ideology, as the "transformation of events". The often spoke-up "transformation of base metal to gold" in alchemy is, to the members of the Atlas Institute, mere "transformation of matter" and is nothing more than a primitive art far removed from their ideals. Their alchemy is an advancement of the metallurgy of ancient Egypt, the root of the discipline, and has not been influenced by western magery like the alchemy that the Clock Tower magi handle.
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic • Fifth Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Daemon • Demon • Divine Spirit • Doll • Dragon • Familiar • Golem • Homunculus • Humans • Magician • Magus • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Parameter Rules • Servant • Servant classes • Skill|
|Church • Chaldea Security Organization • Demon Hunter Organization • Mage's Association • The Twenty-seven Dead Apostle Ancestors|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • World • Magic Circuit • Magical Energy • Soul • Magic Crest|