In Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, most the story is written in fragments from the various perspectives of each of the different Masters, Servants and Magi who are either participants or observers in the First Holy Grail War. Each of the novels normally focus around one or a couple of different protagonists. For example:
- Volume 1 - "The Little Lady Arc" - In this first novel, the novel focuses primarily on the sisterly bonds between Ayaka Sajyou and Manaka Sajyou.
- Volume 2 - "Best Friend Arc" - In the second novel, the novel focuses primarily on Misaya Reiroukan and her relationship with her father's Servant, Caster.
- Volume 3 - "Beautiful Mind Arc" - In the third novel, the novel focuses primarily on the Master-Servant relationships between characters like Tatsumi Kitano and Berserker; Shizuri Isemi and Rider; Assassin and her original master, Seiji Jinga, and her new Master, Manaka Sajyou.
- Volume 4 - "Dear My Hero Arc" - In the fourth novel, the novel focuses primarily on the Master-Servant relationships between the characters Elsa Saijou and Archer, and, Nigel Sayward and Lancer.
- Volume 5 - "Knight of Fate Arc" - In the fifth novel, the novel focuses primarily on the perspectives and Master-Servant relationship between Manaka Sajyou and Saber.
Additionally, the Fate/Labyrinth novel is meant to serve as a tie-in between Volume 4 and Volume 5 of the novels. Moreover, Bonus Acts are attached to the novels which focus more on the minor characters e.g. Tamaki Kitano or specific characters e.g. Caster to add a lot more depth to their characters.
The story of Fragments of Sky Silver is set in the city of Tokyo in 1991 where the First Tokyo Holy Grail is being initiated. The main areas of Tokyo that are covered by the novels are the districts of Akihabara, Setagaya and Yokohama with one of major battles being carried out on top of Tokyo Bay.
The story begins with a young Ayaka Sajyou who wakes up to a normal morning breakfast with her father and older sister, Manaka, unaware that a battle of frightening proportions has now begun in Tokyo. This battle is the Holy Grail War, the first of a series of mutual slaughters where seven Magi and seven Servants team up together to fight in a battle royale to win the Holy Grail, a mystical omnipotent wish-granting device to have their own wishes granted.
One of the Masters participating in this fight is Ayaka's own older sister 'Manaka' who has summoned Saber (Arthur Pendragon), one of the most excellent knight classes.
As each of the Seven Masters summon their Servants and fight, more of the mysteries surrounding the Holy Grail are revealed, culminating in a epic battle that will test loyalties, forge new alliances, and makes one question, who is the real Master in this Holy Grail War?
Characters in Fragments of Sky Silver
Masters and Servants
Manaka Sajyou - Voiced by Aki Toyosaki (Drama CDs).
- An innocent little girl who is barely 12 at the time of the Grail War. She is the master of Saber and holds the Master's Degree of the first-ranked magus, Seraphim. She is the older sister of Ayaka Sajyou, the main protagonist from Fate/Prototype.
Saber - Voiced by Takahiro Sakurai (Drama CDs).
- The fabled King of Knights. A blonde swordsman who is summoned to be Manaka's servant in the 1991 Tokyo Holy Grail War. His wish is to save his homeland. He is the main protagonist in both Fragments and Fate/Prototype
Tatsumi Kitano - Voiced by Atsushi Tamaru (Drama CDs).
- Berserker's Master. An ordinary boy who grew up in Setagaya knowing nothing about magic. He winds up getting involved in the Holy Grail War by accident, and seeks to stop the Holy Grail War.
Berserker - Voiced by Mamoru Miyano (Drama CDs).
- An English scientist and doctor who serves as Tatsumi's Servant. His noble phantasm takes the form of a miracle drug.
Elsa Saijou - Voiced by Aya Suzaki (Drama CDs).
- Archer's Master. A half Japanese / half German magus from Germany. Professionally, she works as a professional camerawoman who frequently travels to conflict zones.
Archer - Voiced by Satoshi Tsuruoka (Drama CDs).
- A loyal middle-aged archer who hails from one of the ancient former regions of the middle-east. He is Elsa Saijou's Servant.
Nigel Sayward - Voiced by Tomohisa Hashizume (Drama CDs).
- Lancer's Master. A magus associated with the Clocktower who was about to be sealed before he was chosen to fight in the Holy Grail War. His wish is to reach the Root.
Lancer - Voiced by Mamiko Noto (Drama CDs).
- A beautiful and mysterious lance-wielding maiden who acts as Nigel Sayward's servant.
Shizuri Isemi - Voiced by Motoi Koyanagi (Drama CDs).
- Rider's Master. An unorthodox magus who combines science and magic in the hopes of prolonging the Isemi Clan's dying magical bloodline.
Rider - Voiced by Takehito Koyasu (Drama CDs).
- An Egyptian Pharaoh who is summoned at the behest of the Isemi Clan. He is Shizuri Isemi's servant and one of the strongest servants in the war.
Lord Reiroukan - Voiced by Eiji Itō (Drama CDs).
- Only introduced in Fate/Prototype Material. He is Caster's Master and the father of Misaya Reiroukan. He is always referred to as "The Current Head of the Reiroukan Family" in the novels.
Caster - Voiced by Shinichiro Miki (Drama CDs).
- An alchemist who was summoned to serve as the Reiroukan Master's Servant. He bonds with Misaya Reiroukan over the course of the Holy Grail War.
Seiji Jinga - Voiced by Atsushi Imaruoka (Drama CDs).
- A middle-aged master who comes from a magus lineage. He is Assassin's Master.
Assassin - Voiced by Sayaka Senbongi (Drama CDs).
- Seiji Jinga's Servant. Being an assassin, she is a master of assassinations and poisons capable of concealing her presence. She becomes the basis for the Miss Mary rumors.
Ayaka Sajyou - Voiced by Kana Hanazawa (Drama CDs).
- She is the previous version of Shirou Emiya and the main character in Fate/Prototype. In Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, Ayaka appears as her 8-year-old self and is a bystander for most of the first war. She appears to be a very insecure person, but heavily admires her older sister, Manaka Sajyou. In the 1999 Holy Grail War, she later becomes a Master under The Seventh Degree, Princes.
Hiroki Sajyou - Voiced by Hiroki Tōchi (Drama CDs).
- He is a magus and the father of Manaka and Ayaka. In Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, he shows regret at not being a better father to Ayaka and Manaka.
Misaya Reiroukan - Voiced by Rui Tanabe (Young Girl, Drama CDs).
- She is the previous version of Rin Tohsaka and a protagonist in Fate/Prototype. In Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, Misaya appears as her 8 to 9-year old self. She is often described throughout the novels as a girl with ruler qualities and has an abundant talent for magic. She later becomes a Master in the 1999 war under The Second Degree, Cherubim.
- Misaya's mother who was evacuated to the Reiroukan's villa in Izu with the rest of the Reiroukan family servants prior to the start of the Holy Grail War.
Aro Isemi - Voiced by Megumi Ogata (Drama CDs)
- In Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, Aro is a young boy whose body is entirely sustained by medical machinery in a room located deep within the Isemi's hideout at the base of Mt. Okutama. He later meets Ozymandias and gives him a reason to fight in the Holy Grail War. In Fate/Prototype, Aro becomes a Master under the 3rd Degree, Thrones.
- She is the younger sister of Tatsumi Kitano, one of the Masters in the 1991 Holy Grail War. She appears in the bonus acts.
- In the ancient past, Nefertari was one of Rider/Ozymandias' wives. She appears in flashbacks in Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver.
- In the ancient past, Moses was Rider/Ozymandias' best friend and brother growing up. He appears in Rider's flashbacks in Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver.
- A vicious Roman general who once fought against Saber, during the time of the Roman Empire's conquest of Britain. He appears in one of Saber's flashbacks in Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver.
The series began being serialized as Drama CDs, with the first CD being released on the 25th of October, 2017.
For the drama CDs, most of the characters will be voiced by the same seiyuus as from the Fate/Prototype OVA and Fate/Grand Order. Here is the list of the current cast:
- Saber (King Arthur) - Takahiro Sakurai
- Manaka Sajyou - Aki Toyosaki
- Archer (Arash) - Satoshi Tsuruoka
- Elsa Saijyou - Aya Suzaki
- Lancer (Brynhildr) - Mamiko Noto
- Nigel Sayward - Tomohisa Hashizume
- Rider (Ozymandias) - Takehito Koyasu
- Shizuri Isemi - Motoi Koyanagi
- Caster (Paracelsus) - Shinichiro Miki
- Lord Reiroukan - Eiji Itō
- Berserker (Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde) - Mamoru Miyano
- Tatsumi Kitano - Atsushi Tamaru
- Assassin (Hassan of Serenity) - Sayaka Senbongi
- Seiji Jinga - Atsushi Imaruoka
- Hiroki Sajyou - Hiroki Tochi
- Ayaka Sajyou - Kana Hanazawa
- Misaya Reiroukan (Young Girl) - Rui Tanabe
- Aro Isemi - Megumi Ogata
- Tamaki Kitano - Aimi Tanaka
- Narrator - Kanehira Yamamoto
The name comes from the colors of Saber's armor. While Sakurai has discussed some elements of the story with Nasu, he is not a primary supervisor like with other Fate stories. She created the six new original Servants herself, seeking out advice on some elements.
- Fragments of Sky Silver Act 1 translation
- Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver - Official Drama CD Website