Fate/Strange Fake (フェイト/ストレンジフェイク, Feito/ Sutorenji Feiku?) is an ongoing light novel (and manga adaptation) created by Ryohgo Narita, started in 2015 and illustrated by Shidzuki Morii. It expands on the setting of an April Fool's joke published by Narita on his website in 2008 and its short story adaptation in Type-Moon Ace 2 magazine in 2009.
The plot centers around a Grail War faultily copied from the Third Holy Grail War in Fuyuki. After the end of the third Grail War, an organization from the United States that has magi separate from the London-based Mage Association as members took data from Fuyuki's Grail War and planned their own ritual. After seventy years, they used the city Snowfield as the Sacred Land for their own Grail War. They were unable to successfully copy every aspect of the ritual, which led to it acting only as an imitation that has lost the Saber class and allowed for the summoning of strange Servants due to the definition of "hero" being blurred.
The Mage's Association has sent Rohngall and his pupil, Faldeus, to investigate the city and the status of the war. Faldeus, a spy from the US organization, has Rohngall sniped upon arrival, despite knowing that Rohngall was simply a puppet. He announces that their Holy Grail War has been in development and that it is real, which causes an uproar at the Clock Tower, and wishes to "advertise" the project to the Association.
False Holy Grail War
- Tine Chelc
- The master of False Archer.
- The master of False Lancer.
- Tsubaki Kuruoka
- The master of False Rider
- Orlando Reeve
- The master of False Caster.
- Jester Karture
- The master of False Assassin.
- Flat Escardos
- The master of False Berserker.
True Holy Grail War
- Ayaka Sajyou (Player in the prototype version)
- The master of Saber.
- Bazdilot Cordelion
- The master of True Archer.
- The master of Watcher. He himself is meant to become True Lancer.
- Doris Lusendra
- The master of True Rider
- Francesca Prelati
- The master of True Caster.
- Faldeus Dioland
- The master of True Assassin.
- Haruri Borzak
- The Master of True Berserker
False Holy Grail War
- False Archer
- The King of Heroes, Gilgamesh.
- False Lancer
- The Chains of Heaven, Enkidu.
- False Rider
- The Embodiment of Disease, Pale Rider.
- False Caster
- The Author of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas.
- False Assassin
- The 19th Hassan-i-Sabbah Candidate.
- False Berserker
- The Serial-Killer, Jack the Ripper
True Holy Grail War
- The Lionheart, Richard I. Ayaka's Servant.
- True Archer
- The Distorted Hero, Alcides
- True Rider
- The Queen of Amazons, Hippolyta
- True Assassin
- True Caster
- The Trickster, François Prelati
- True Berserker
- Humbaba, the beast of the Cedar Forest
- A unique Servant, that is supposed to guide Sigma into becoming True Lancer.
- Clan Calatin
- Group of police officers serving under Orlando
- Einzbern Homunculus that is later possessed by an outside force
- Hansa Cervantes
- A priest and a member of the church.
- John Wingard
- Clan Calatin member
- Lord El-Melloi II
- Lord El-Melloi II is highly regarded in the Clock tower and he is the professor of Flat. He once participated in the Fourth Holy Grail War.
- Clock Tower magus sent to spy on the American ritual
- Saint Germain
- Man who met Saber during his lifetime.
- Vera Levitt
- Orlando's secretary and Clan Calatin member
- Subordinate of Faldeus
- Amelia Levitt
- Tsubaki Kuruoka's doctor
- Avi Dikhail, Carl Lexarm, Hyouma Sagara, Silvelt Kotcheff, and Zugzwang
- Independent magi attempting to defeat Flat Escardos and False Berserker. They were all killed by Assassin of Black in the Fate/Apocrypha world, reacting with unknown fear when Berserker takes on her appearance.
- Ayaka Sajyou
- Student of Lord El-Melloi II for a month. Identical to the Ayaka in Snowfield aside from her hair color, but they are not the same person.
- He is a magus working for the US government. Granted Command Spells by the Grail, he was planning to summon King Arthur, but summoned Saber instead. Killed during the summoning, Ayaka usurps the contract.
- Caubac Alcatraz
- Dead Apostle who knows Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg, helping Zelretch pick Ayaka.
- Charles Nodier
- Contemporary of Alexandre Dumas
- A clerk of the Clock Tower
- Delmio Cervantes
- Adoptive father of Hansa
- Bishop of the church who discovered Hansa
- Drugstore employee
- Unnamed man who meets Ayaka and Saber
- Fezgram vor Sembren, Nazica Pentel, Org Rum, Radia Pentel, Roland Berzinsky Verner Caesarmund
- Students of Lord El-Melloi II
- Gray, Svin Glascheit
- Students of Lord El-Melloi II and friends of Flat
- Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg
- Magician observing the world of the novel, looking into viable solutions for the world line.
- Master of Archer
- The original master of Archer.
- Mr. and Mrs. Kuruoka
- The parents of Tubaki Kuruoka.
- Hansa's followers
- Rocco Belfeban
- Rohngall's disciple
- Unnamed disciple seen with Rohngall when meeting with Lord El-Melloi II
- Anti-magus assault team commanded by Faldeus
- Wolf's creator
- The creator of the chimera wolf.
Fate/strange fake was originally placed on Narita's homepage on April 1, 2008 under the title of "Fake/states night." It was presented as a prologue and introduction for a role playing style game as an April Fool's joke. The text was later edited and released in the form of a novel with the Type-Moon Ace 2 magazine. It was a stand-alone novel with illustrations by Shidzuki Morii and an afterword by the author. It had an epilogue describing the Player character.
Years later, it was announced that both a novel and manga series would be officially published, and a brief trailer was made. The first novel was given an additional three chapters and released for sale in 2015. The epilogue with the Player character was removed in place of Ayaka Sajyou.
- Volume 1 translations - 2008 version full translation, Gilgamesh vs Enkidu, Extra chapter 2 (2015 version)
- Volume 2 translations - Interlude, Noble Phantasms vs Dead Apostles, Jester vs Hanza (1, 2, 3), Gilgamesh vs Archer (1 2 3)
- Fake/states night site
- All the Volume translations - HumbertoZero's Randomness