Mystic Eyes (魔眼, Ma gan?) grant the power to interfere with the outer world. There also exists similar form of ability called Mystic Face (魔貌, Ma bō?), one of which is utilized by Diarmuid Ua Duibhne.
Acquisition of Mystic Eyes happens when there is some sort of mutation in the Magic Circuits located in the area around one’s eyes. Mutations like that can be done artificially through a process similar to forging a Magic Crest. However, only Mystic Eyes of the Binding, Charm and Whisper types can be produced like this. On the other hand, while inborn Mystic Eyes are rare, there are known cases of it happening and they are said to be powerful enough to intervene in destiny itself. Mystic Eyes usually work like Single Action spells and are activated through the use of magical energy. The proof of a first-class magus since it grants great power while being easy to conceal.
Fujino Asagami is a special case since her Mystic Eyes were the result of her family’s psychic ability evolving to a point that it is in par with Magecraft. Still, this raises the possibility that other Mystic Eyes are also just a powerful type of psychic ability. In the case of effects like petrification, recognition of the nature of the Mystic Eyes weakens the effect they have on targets. It is not enough to render them ineffective, but surprise attacks are not as effective, making the rate at which the effect progresses slower. The target still has to be on their guard, else the effect will be magnified.
It is possible to suppress the power of Mystic Eyes with a magical construct called Mystic Eye Killers (魔眼殺し, Ma gan goroshi?). They are commonly made into glasses because Mystic Eyes are a power derived from the oculus. They are able to block more unique ones like Death Perception and Petrification, allowing someone to live a normal life without affecting themselves and those around them with the abilities of their eyes. Those of Shiki Tohno prove to be not enough for his eyes on occasion, causing him to see death even when wearing them..
The Lehrman family magecraft allows them to use cut gemstones as artificial mystic eyes.
Known common types of Mystic EyesEdit
- Binding (束縛, Sokubaku?): casts a suggestion spell that cripples the target upon eye contact. In Fate route Shirou guesses that Ilya acquired some sort of Binding using a Magecraft because this is the most common Mystic Eye, while in Heaven's Feel route he says that nobody can gain it artificially.
- Charm (魅惑, Miwaku?): It distorts the target's perception so they sees the caster as someone of great sex appeal. Diarmuid Ua Duibhne's Mystic Face skill worked under same concepts.
- Compulsion (強制, Kyōsei?): Faker has eyes of this type.
- Contract (契約, Keiyaku?)
- Enchantment (魅了, Miryō?): The eyes possessed by vampires, capable of high-level hypnosis. Arcueid and Nrvnqsr have eyes classified as Gold under the Noble Colors system. Alice Kuonji and Touko Aozaki possess left eyes of this type in Mahou Tsukai no Yoru. Suzuka Gozen's eyes are classified as 'Enchantment' with a small text 'Charm'.
- Flame (炎焼, Enshō?):
- Illusion (幻覚, Genkaku?)
- Jinx (凶運, Kyōun?)
- Whisper (暗示, Anji?): Allows for hypnotic suggestions. The eyes of Ciel.
Special Mystic EyesEdit
Besides the ones mentioned above, there are cases of Mystic Eyes truly unique in power. Among them include:
- The unnamed eyes possessed by Balor, the ancient Celtic god of darkness and great-grandfather of Cú Chulainn. It is the predecessor of Shiki Tohno's Eyes of Death Perception. It could actualize the death of the target by just glaring at him.
- The (unnamed) supreme Mystic Eyes that Brunestud of the Crimson Moon had. They were designated as Rainbow under the Noble Colors system.
- The unnamed eyes possessed by Roa. Similar to Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (see below), and originally falsely considered as ones, they are fundamentally different in effect. Though Roa believed they were a result of his numerous contacts with death due to his reincarnation ability, they in fact originated from his host, SHIKI Tohno. They allowed Roa to see and destroy the life of other living beings.
- The unnamed eyes possessed by Reines El-Melloi Archisorte. When her eyes come into contact with Magical Energy, they turn red and cause a burning sensation, akin to an allergic reaction.
- Cybele, Mystic Eyes of Petrification, are possessed by Medusa.
- Mystic Eyes of Death Perception are extremely unique Eyes possessed by Shiki Tohno and Shiki Ryougi.
- Distortion (歪曲, Waikyoku?): Creates an axis of revolution in a certain area of space. Allows one to change the trajectory of flying objects, even those with great supernatural power. The eyes of Fujino Asagami.
- Fairy Eyes: Glam Sight (妖精眼, Yōsei gan?): The eyes of Norma Goodfellow, which enables her to easily perceive and adapt to any information that can't be normally processed by the brain e.g. high-speed movements. Wills Pelham Codrington also possesses a pair of Fairy Eyes, which allows him to perceive Fairies which are normally invisible to Humans and Magi and give him a connection to the fairy world.
- Empyrean Eye (天眼, Ten gan?), also known as Heavenly Eye,: The eyes of Miyamoto Musashi, which is the ability that permits the resolution of a desired result as 'inevitable', by way of committing the entirety of the user's existence to the act of achieving the outcome.
- Viy Viy Viy: Galloping Stare of the All-Seeing Ghastly Eyeballs (疾走・精霊眼球, Shissō seirei gankyū?): The eyes of Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova's familiar Viy, which can see through everything and distort even the principle of causality to create a weak point.
- Mystic Eye of Reversion: The right eye of Ophelia Phamrsolone. A Jewel-ranked Mystic Eye which has the power to reverse strengths and weaknesses by observing a target's possibilities and then forcibly culling them - restricting the advancement of events to a single course.
- Mystic Eyes of Usurpation (簒奪の魔眼, Sandatsu no Magan?): The eyes of Doctor Heartless that can usurp at will the vision of any eyes, regardless if it's from a human or a Divine Spirit.
- Mystic Eyes of Premonition: (未来視の魔眼, Miraishi no Magan) The eyes of Trisha Fellows that can allow her visions of the future.
- Mystic Eyes of Seeing Emotions: (感情視の魔眼, Kanjoshi no Magan) The right eye of Yvette L. Lehrman which allows her to see human emotions.
- Mystic Eyes of Retrocognition (過去視の魔眼, Kakoshi no Magan?): The eyes of Callebaut Frampton, which allows him to see the past when making contact with certain items. When he brushed hands with Gray, he saw visions of not only her past but also of King Arthur, informing him of her nature.
Pure Eyes (淨眼, Jō gan?), also called Eyes of Purity, are the ability to see that which normally cannot be seen. They are similar to Mystic Eyes in that both are inheritable, however while Mystic Eyes are traits of the body, something like inheriting the traits of a parent's body, Pure Eyes are like inheriting fate and destiny, the offspring continuing the parent's will and quest. They are a more common occurrence than Mystic Eyes and can only be inherited by "humans" with high spiritual power. They can be said to reflect the parent's karma in the offspring, and they are an ability saints may often possess.
The Nanaya were able to consistently acquire Pure Eyes by having incestuous relationships. Kiri Nanaya displays the ability to read intentions and emotions through color, and Shiki Tohno can see that which is not supposed to be seen, such as Akiha Tohno's Origami. Both his and Shiki Ryougi's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception can be called a hybrid power, combining both Pure Eyes and Mystic Eyes.
As seen by Kiri Nanaya's Pure Eyes, various colors are associated with certain beings.
- Blue (青, Ao?) - Color of those under Shinto. Judging by Kiri Nanaya's Pure Eyes, there are those in the Demon Hunter Organization who follow its beliefs. Pure Eyes have also this color.
- Silver (銀, Gin?) - Color of those under Shinto. They have yet to appear in any kind of form, but according to Kiri Nanaya there are a few of them in the Demon Hunter Organization.
- Gold (金, Kin?) - Color representative of the demonic. Arcueid Brunestud's eyes turns into this color. Also, Nero's eyes were depicted as golden.
- Red (赤, Aka?) - Color representative of the demonic. Judging by Kiri Nanaya's Pure Eyes, those who fall under the classification of 'demon' will likely be inclined towards this color. Similar beings are also likely to possess this color.
 Tsukihime Dokuhon PlusPeriod - TSUKIHIME Dictionary: Mystic Eyes [Unusual talent], p.188
Mystic Eyes [Unusual talent]
Typically, single-action sorceries possessed by magi.
They are created by changing the eyeballs, which by nature are passive receptors of information from the external world, into tools for actively influencing the external world. Humans within the user's field of vision will have sorcery cast on them without question, and should they happen to make direct eye contact the effect will be dramatically increased. In short, they are a fearsome sorcery trait – not only are they something that must not be seen, but simply being seen by them means you have fallen into your opponent's trap. Because of their conceal ability and capability, they are considered the mark of a first-class magus. Though, artificial mystic eyes are limited to effects on the level of charm or suggestion.
The most powerful mystic eyes are those which are possessed from birth. Things like Shiki's mystic eyes that can see the death of things, or mystic eyes that can turn someone to stone with a glance, are "psychic abilities" that cannot be reenacted even with sorcery.
Mystic eyes can be ranked by color. Normal mystic eyes shine red or green. Strong ones glow a luminous gold. And eyes that fall in the realm of gods glimmer with multiple colors, like jewels or rainbows.
By the way, though Akiha's "Origami" bears a striking resemblance to mystic eyes, it is actually a kind of curse. And despite Shiki's eyes being called the "mystic eyes" of death perception, strictly speaking they are a psychic ability – specifically, the "pure eyes" possessed by saints and holy men.
 Fate/side material - Encyclopedia: Mystic Eyes [Magecraft], p.072 [T]
Mystic Eyes [Magecraft]
Typically, single-action sorceries possessed by magi.
They are created by changing the eyeballs, which by nature are passive receptors of information from the external world, into tools for actively influencing the external world.
People within the user's field of vision will have sorcery cast on them without question, and should they happen to make direct eye contact the effect will be dramatically increased.
In short, they are a fearsome sorcery trait – not only are they something that must not be seen, but simply being seen by them means you have fallen into your opponent's trap.
Because of their conceal ability and capability, they are considered the mark of a first-class magus.
Though, artificial mystic eyes are limited to effects on the level of charm or suggestion.
The most powerful mystic eyes are those which are possessed from birth.
Things like Rider's mystic eyes of petrification, or mystic eyes that can see the death of things, are "psychic abilities" that cannot be reenacted even with sorcery.
- ↑ Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel route Day 10 - No / Future plans
 Kara no Kyoukai Special Pamphlet - Encyclopedia: Mystic Eyes Killers [Ornaments], p.038 [T]
Mystic Eyes Killers [Ornaments]
A magical construct capable of suppressing the power of Mystic Eyes.
Since Mystic Eyes are a power derived from the oculus, Mystic Eyes Killers are commonly made into glasses. The glasses Touko wore are also Mystic Eyes Kilers.
The protagonist of Tsukihime, Tohno Shiki, acquired Mystic Eyes Killers crafted by Touko from someone. They relieved him of the unbearable sight of Death, and allowed him to live normally again.
This also reflected just how self-abusive Ryougi Shiki was, declining the Mystic Eyes Killers. No... it was more an episode that reflected her heart of clear water.
As a side note, Touko poured an obscene amount of money into constructing Ryougi Shiki's Mystic Eyes Killers, but Shiki shoved them back saying "Why should I do it to please you?"
The reason Shiki declined the Mystic Eyes Killer was the same as when she refused to wear the uniform of Reien Girls' Academy.
『月姫』の主人公、遠野志貴《とおの し き 》は視えてしまう死に耐えられず、人づてで橙子謹製の魔眼殺しを譲ってもらい、なんとか生活していけるようになった。
- ↑ Fate/stay night Fate route Day 11 - Refusal and escape
- ↑ Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel route Day 9 - Truth about Sakura
- ↑ Fate/Grand Order - Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova, Profile
 TYPE-MOON Fes. Official Pamphlet 10th Anniversary Q & A Booklet:
Q: Are Ryougi's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception a type of Eyes of Clarity?
Q: Are Ryougi's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception a type of Eyes of Clarity?
A: Yes. The Ryougis and Nanayas were good friends! (A long time ago)
Although the two types of eyes are inheritable, if you consider regular Mystic Eyes as traits that modify the body..... something like the inheritance of the traits of the parents' body...... then Eyes of Clarity are the inheritance of fate and destiny......the offspring continues the parents' will and their quest.
Even though Eyes of Clarity are the parents' karma reflected in the offspring, they can only be inherited by "humans" with high spiritual potential.
In other words, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception are a type of hybrid power. The cheating powers of both Shikis ought to have a limit!
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic • Fifth Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Daemon • Demon • Divine Spirit • Doll • Dragon • Familiar • Golem • Homunculus • Humans • Magician • Magus • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Parameter Rules • Servant • Servant classes • Skill|
|Church • Chaldea Security Organization • Demon Hunter Organization • Mage's Association • The Twenty-seven Dead Apostle Ancestors|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • World • Magic Circuit • Magical Energy • Soul • Magic Crest|