Nagao Kagetora (長尾景虎?), Class Name Lancer of Eight Flowers (八華のランサー, Hakka no Ransā?), is the Lancer-class Servant summoned by Satsuki Yumizuka in the Imperial Capital Holy Grail Strange Story Memoirs of Koha-Ace. She is also summoned by Ritsuka Fujimaru in the Grand Orders of Fate/Grand Order.
- 1 Profile
- 2 Role
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Development
- 5 References
Better known as Uesugi Kenshin (上杉謙信?). Praised as a peerless warrior in Japan when it comes to battles, the Sengoku Daimyo of Echigo later known as the God of War, Nagao Kagetora. A self-proclaimed avatar of Bishamonten who fought all their lives with righteousness, in the turmoil of the Warring States.
"One does not bear arms for personal gain. When you are in the right, all shall aid in your cause!"
Uniting the nation of Echigo plagued by continuous internal strife, and dispatched her army countless times after receiving aid from other nations. As such, innumerable battles unfolded between her and the likes of Takeda or Hōjō. Constantly standing at the forefront of the battlefield, she has lost not even a single clash in her career spanning more than 70 battles, leading her army with her overwhelming charisma and tactical genius.
Having changed names multiple times, she went variously as Nagao Kagetora, Uesugi Masatora, and finally took on the name of Uesugi Kenshin. The most famous name of all, Kenshin, is actually a Buddhist dharma name from his later life.
"Eh? The name Kenshin is more famous than Kagetora!?"
Kagetora was constantly troubled. On the battlefield, well, which would be better between a sword and a spear, which weapon would be the best … Guns? Can't aim those so it'd be impossible. And then on a certain day, she encountered an inhuman figure of Bishamonten wielding eight swords, the "Eight-bladed Bishamonten", and a revelation dawned upon her. And as such, she realized everything would be solved by simply bringing both sword and spear!
The next day, brandishing the eight weapons known as the armament of the eightfold blossom, was the figure of the God of War from Echigo, wreaking havoc energetically. Thus, the strongest invincible Warring States general "Full Armor Kagetora-chan" was born.
"Fortune to the heavens, Armour upon my chest, Feats from my steps!" As a self-proclaimed Avatar of Bishamonten, Kagetora has tried to protect people under the human rationality outlined as "righteousness". Nonetheless, having been born with excessive strength as a person herself, Kagetora during her lifetime has never managed to comprehend the exceedingly frail entities known as humans.
Without understanding human emotions like sadness or anger in the slightest, Kagetora wears a smile as her only compromise with her surroundings. As the recipients of her unapproachable behavior and words, Kagetora's retainers fear her, yet that fear morphed and took form as fanatical faith. And as a result, an even more inhuman way of life, reminiscent of gods and buddhas, has been forced upon Kagetora.
To that Kagetora, the brief scenes of life and death interspersed among the lethal conflicts she took part in, were the only times she felt human at all.
After having lived her life so detached from the mundane, she attained her divine seat as the God of War, and was venerated accordingly. By now, there would be no way of ascertaining whether that had been her intention.
—— Bishamonten is here.
Destroy All Nobunagas: GUDAGUDA Final Honnōji 2019
Being the avatar of Bishamonten, Nagao Kagetora is known far and wide as the strongest general in the Warring States period. Oda Nobunaga states that Kagetora is crazy strong. Demon King Nobunaga also states that Kagetora does herself a disservice by describing herself as merely the avatar of Bishamonten. She claims that there is something far greater than Bishamonten in her. Something both human and inhuman, something deviant from Humanity itself.
Kagetora's main armaments are eight weapons called the Provision of the Eight Flowers. Houshoutsukige. She also has access to a famous horse that was forcibly summoned by Kagetora to ride on. Having come to be known as a God of War, Kagetora's reflexes are remarkable. She doesn't even bat an eye at Mori Nagayoshi's surprise attack. However, Mori blames his Heroic Spirit Restraint Armor Type A for this, claiming that it slows him down and that as long as she doesn't stand still, he can't hit her. Nagao Kagetora easily splits open Mori Nagayoshi's head with her spear, however, it fails to kill him due to the regeneration provided by the armor. Mori used this to his advantage and took her off guard with Boneless Man cutting through her armor like tissue paper. With Kagetora wounded, the two of them fight seemingly evenly until Oda Nobunaga intervenes.
Even with the support of armorless Mori Nagayoshi, Kagetora is unable to harm Shibata Katsuie empowered by Demon King Nobunaga's Magical Energy. In fact, Mori notes that he seems to be getting stronger with every step. Kagetora states she would need her Noble Phantasm to stop him. Despite being the avatar of Bishamonten, not even Kagetora can move freely when exposed to God of Makuzu's limitless Magical Energy unless it lets her.
- Magic Resistance (Rank C): Nullifies Magecraft spells that were invoked in two verses or below. Cannot defend against large-scale Magecraft such as Great Magecrafts and Ritual Spells.
- Riding (Rank C): Although she is in the Lancer Class, Kagetora possesses the Riding Skill. She also possesses aptitude for the Rider Class, and if the situation where she was summoned into that Class comes about, she would have a Rank A Riding Skill.
- Divinity (Rank C): After her death, that way of life of hers which was detached from normalcy got others to identify Kagetora to the point of calling her a God of War. Although Summer Nobbu's Nobunaga THE Rock 'n' Roll doesn't affect Li Shuwen, Oda Kipposhi, and Mori Nagayoshi as much, since she is the avatar of Bishamonten, this Anti-Divine Bounded Field limits Kagetora's movements specifically. Although Kagetora can't move very well inside it, she claims that she could never claim to be Echigo's god of war if she let something like this slow her down.
- Fate is in Heaven (Rank A): Kenshin, who has faith in Bishamonten’s divine protection, can receive an advantageous check for every action she performs on the battlefield. “In any case, my Luck in battle is awesome. As one would expect, I’m the Avatar of Bishamonten, don’t you think?”
- Armor is on the Chest (Rank A): A Defense Skill against projectiles. It is said that while she was alive, Kenshin even leisurely slurped on sake before the enemies’ eyes as bullets flew about, all the bullets going past and avoiding her, and that anecdote became this Skill. Her self-confidence developed into a phenomenon similar to event manipulation, resulting in even the bullets’ trajectory to curve around her, and if said person does not believe she will be hit, then the bullets will never, ever hit her. But if the shooting is loaded with such vigour to the degree that said person will believe she will be hit, then it is possible to break through this divine protection. “Though I’m uncertain whether or not there is such a fellow.” This allowed Kagetora to evade Oda Nobunaga's bullets. Even her full power Three Line Formation didn't get a single hit on a wounded Kagetora.
- Accomplishment is in the Feet (Rank A): A faculty that shows the tactical intuition of Kagetora, who was extolled to be Japan’s peerless in war. Kagetora experienced more than 70 engagements in her lifetime and triumphed in just about most of them, but she is somewhat poor at castle sieges. “Aah, dammit! Come out and fight!”
Kagetora's Noble Phantasm is Bishamonten's Eight Phases Wheel Charge Formation, an ability that summons her guardian Biten. Thanks to them, she has accumulated countless blades to vanquish enemies of the Buddha. Oryou was surprised by how strong she is, making her question if she is even Human. Kagetora initially believed that she could have beaten Shibata Katsuie empowered by Demon King Nobunaga's Magical Energy with this attack. However, when he became so powerful Oryou claims even her might have a hard time against him, Kagetora regrets not having used her Noble Phantasm earlier on while she had the chance. At this point, Kagetora is fairly certain she could at least hold him back, but she knows she can't defeat him. She says that even if Li Shuwen, Summer Nobbu, Oda Kipposhi, Mori Nagayoshi, and herself all worked together, they wouldn't be able to defeat him, and that all they can do is wear him down so that he runs out of mana faster. Although Kagetora's Noble Phantasm was powerful enough to overpower God of Makuzu, he regenerated short after thanks to the High Priest Makuzu's Holy Grail.
Creation and Conception
- Fate/Grand Order material IX - Nagao Kagetora's profile translated by Kinalvin at Reddit
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Part One: Sudden Rise! Chaldea Clan's Ambition
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Clash! Decisive Imperial Capital Battle!
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Part Two, Section Two: Attack! Kakare Shibate!
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Outbreak Event: Defend! Kakare Shibata!
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Enthusiastic Singing! Okehazama FES 2021
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Assignment Event: Messenger of Ezo
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Part Three: Descent! Demon King Nobunaga!
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Part Four, Section One: Paradise of the West
- Fate/Grand Order - All-Out Nobunaga Assault - GUDAGUDA Final Honnoji 2021: Part Four, Section Two: Eternal Unburning Nirvana, Makuzu
- Fate/type Redline - Chapter 2