Profile[edit | edit source]
Identity[edit | edit source]
A Servant originating from the Scandinavian Lostbelt. A "completely different person" compared to the Scáthach from the common history of man, recognized as the only god in the Lostbelt, whose nature is closer to being a queen. In this work, Scáthach and Skadi are not perfectly equal in existences, but they mutually influence each other and the term "mixed up" is used. She, who, existed in the Lostbelt as "Scáthach-Skaði", has a particularly high mixing rate with Skaði, hence she has many attributes of the Bride of Gods.
Skaði (Skadi)[edit | edit source]
The Nordic Jötun who originated from the Celtic hero Scáthach, the mountain goddess───many of Skaði's characteristics are revealed. This side of Skadi should rather be expressed as "the Skadi with some of Scáthach's nature" than dark Scáthach.
Skadi's name derives from Old Norse and means "one who scars". According to Prose Edda's "Sayings of Grímnir", she was the daughter of "the Abominable Jötun Þjazi", and lived in the old palace in Realm of Þrymheimr along with her father. After being married to the Nordic Gods, she was named "the Beautiful Bride of the Gods". Skadi is also called Öndurguð (Ski God) as well as Öndurdís (Ski Goddess). She was a master of hunting in the mountains and was also told to be a master of skiing.
According to the Norwegian manuscript "Heimskringla", Skadi had divorced with the Vanir Njörðr and remarried with Odin. Although she is unmarried in this work, it should be noted to the degree that it would be deeply engraved in posterity.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Personality[edit | edit source]
In this current world, she does not have the face of a mentor capable of raising a warrior. She is not a master of martial arts, either. Unlike the Lancer Scáthach who was more approachable, "Did I step on something", "Oh, what a young one (human)", and "Should I welcome you, or should I kill you" are just what makes up the properties of nature (gods). “Blow a breath. Be like a blizzard. And living beings will die.” “Smile. Be like the eternal spring. And life will sprout gorgeously.” Both, are equivalent to her.
The Formidable Queen. The Goddess of Ice and Snow. However... While ruling over the Lostbelt, she felt sorrow in her heart as "someone left behind", but she hid it away. She was a goddess beloved by the other gods and continued to be a suitor, but after the gods perished at the climax of Ragnarök, she became "the last Scandinavian God of the Lostbelt". Therefore─── Actually, she is proportionately tough. Actually, she is proportionately pure. Actually, she is proportionately warm. If one deepens their relationship with her, they will begin to see a face unlike a queen... they will see her true personality. She was neither a god nor a ruler. Even if her title "the Mother of Scandinavia" falls off, she is still a girl.
Her "Chaotic" alignment is self-proclaimed. When she ruled over the Scandinavian Lostbelt, her original purpose was for social order, but it is now different when she was reborn as a Heroic Spirit, or so it is said.
Role[edit | edit source]
Fate/Grand Order[edit | edit source]
Götterdämmerung: The Eternal Ice-Flame Century[edit | edit source]
Scáthach-Skadi became the King of the Lostbelt, establishing human villages and protecting them with the help of the Valkyrie. However, in order to keep the giants at bay, all humans were forced to reproduce at the age of fifteen and be sacrificed to the giants at the age of twenty-five. Though this arrangement was necessary to protect the humans, it still brought grief to Scáthach-Skadi. She ruled the Lostbelt for three thousand years until modern day 2018.
When Chaldea arrives in the lostbelt, Scáthach-Skadi chooses to love them and tells Ophelia to leave them alone for now. Later, when Chaldea attacks her palace for the second time, Scáthach-Skadi chooses to team up with them due to the threat of Surtr. They then fight together to defeat him.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
The Skaði appearing in the Norse Lostbelt is not a Servant nor a Divine Spirit; a god that lost their true body and fused with nature, but an actual full living goddess. Rather than dying in Ragnarök like the other gods, Odin fused her with the Celtic warrior Scáthach, a woman with whom she shared a fateful bond. Thus, she remained intact for thousands of years, ever since the Age of Gods up to the present day. Being a superior class of deity, Ophelia Phamrsolone states that the power of Scáthach-Skaði is easily a match for a Divine Spirit and that she can't imagine her having anything to fear, even from Caenis. Upon being notified by Kirschtaria that Caenis would visit her Lostbelt, Ophelia expressed concern that Scáthach-Skaði would destroy Caenis Saint Graph if they were to clash. Originally, it would be impossible for her to manifest as a Servant due to her not being a Heroic Spirit of the Human Order, however, she's able to be summoned by Chaldea as a pseudo-Divine Spirit.
Even while using a large portion of her power to suppress the flames of Surtr, Scáthach-Skaði possesses a vast amount of Magical Energy that is capable of filling up her entire castle. Upon meeting her, Mash stated that she was unable to even begin to grasp the amount of magical energy, thus being unable to determine how strong Skaði was. Her energy was so concentrated that Mash felt like she was about to pass out, further adding that it could instantly kill any normal creature. It even reminded her of the Seventh Singularity and the massive magical energy in the atmosphere there. Just seeing her standing is enough to claim she's on par with "Sigurd". In fact, although "Sigurd" may be the strongest being in all of Scandinavia, Ophelia claims Skaði is the exception. Even after Ophelia released one of his limiters, allowing Surtr to manifest Sigurd's stage 2, there was no doubt in Da Vinci's mind that Skaði was more dangerous than him and thus the unquestioned ruler of the Lostbelt. It wasn't until his final limiter was removed and Surtr got access to Sigurd's full capabilities as a Heroic Spirit that his demonic sword became more powerful than anything they had seen before in that Lostbelt. Skaði is powerful enough to boost Sigurd's Bölverk Gram to block Surtr's flames, a feat that he could have never accomplished on his own. She can also use the earth's leylines to boost Ritsuka's party with her blessings, allowing them to damage Surtr more effectively.
Skaði is capable of ascending her very existence with the same method Chaldea's summoning system employs to enhance Heroic Spirits. Despite unlocking her full capabilities in the form of her final ascension against Mash in their final confrontation, Mash defeats both Ortlinde and her due to them not having recovered any magical energy after their battle with Surtr. Whereas Mash had completely healed, she was extremely weakened. Furthermore, even though she could have used a death rune to instantly kill Mash, her pride could not permit it.
Skills[edit | edit source]
Class Skills[edit | edit source]
- Territory Creation (EX Rank): As a queen, she's able to reproduce her castle anywhere she goes. To modern magecraft, this extraordinary ability would be equal to Temple-level, but Skadi herself claims that she's 'not very good' at creating territory. If so, one must wonder how incredible the God of Magic Odin's abilities would be. Once Ragnarök concluded, Skadi turned the vast majority of her power toward extinguishing the flames that threatened to consume the world and all life on it. Through her Authority she blanketed Scandinavia with her snow and ice, laden with magical energy. Thus creating safe heavens that the surviving giants could not touch in order to give humans an opportunity to live their lives. Every bit of snow and ice blanketing her Lostbelt is part of her and extends her authority. Thus, nothing can elude her. She knows, sees and hears everything that takes place within her domain. She can use her Ice and Snow to disrupt the Shadow Borders equipment and optically and magically camouflage objects as large as the Fantasy Tree Sombrero.
- Item Construction (A Rank): As a queen, she's able to create many things with her mana. She can create anything from miraculous medicines to equipment to tree seeds, but they all seem to be created with a low temperature. Her items will be cold to the touch. Thanks to Ymir's blood, other than her shadow, ice and snow-based abilities, Scathach-Skadi has also displayed the ability to use the three surviving Valkyries as a base to mass-produce a hundred envoys infused with her own magical energy. This, alongside her Authority over giants, allowed her to keep both giants and humans in check for thousands of years.
- Divine Core of the Goddess (A Rank): A skill that symbolizes her status as a goddess. A composite skill that includes Divinity. Due to Scathach-Skadi possessing both god and giant attributes, she has been classified as A-rank instead of EX. Being the daughter of the giant Pjazi, she possesses his former Authority to control giants. By putting them masks infused with her Magical Energy, she can make them attack or sleep with a single command. However, even she cannot suppress their instincts. The giants who survived the Ragnarök consume heat in any form they can. Thus, they can't serve as a proper, disciplined army. As familiars go, Surtr regards them as third-rate at best. Although they may have lived through Ragnarök up to the present day, they are only pitiful shadows of their former selves. They were once beings on par with the gods.
Personal Skills[edit | edit source]
- Primordial Rune (—): The ability to freely control norse runes. Unlike the runes commonly used by modern magi, these are the original runes created by the great god Odin. Their power transcends human understanding. According to Norse Mythology, Odin made most of the world from Ymir, with the exception of the runes, which he discovered after offering up his own life. He saw that the shape of the runes contained the depth of the world itself, as such the runes can be called pathways to the truth that Odin discovered. With these runes, she can employ numerous spells including a divine curse capable of rendering both Napoleon and Mash inert without them being able to lift a single finger. Like Surtr she can also inscribe a primordial rune of death, which is said to bring inescapable death to any living being. Skadi can also use her runes to hold Sigurd's and Brynhildr's Spirit Core's together after they had been damaged, however, the bonds are fragile. Thus, the cores will inevitably crumble should they spend all their magical energy in battle. She can also use her Primordial Runes to simultaneously summon a large number of Divine Iron Shields, strong enough to aid, alongside the rest of Ritsuka's party, Berserker Heracles to momentarily hold back Surtr's Loptr Laegjarn. Skaði's runes also allowed them to fly within a hundred-meter range next to Surtr's head to attack him.
- Freezing Blizzard (B Rank): A skill that represents her attribute as the goddess of the icy mountains, Skadi. The manifestation of the cold winds of the north that freeze all of creation. Normally this ability is part of her goddess Authority, so if she uses it at A rank or above, Queen Scathach's spiritual core will completely shatter. Due to this, the use of this skill is limited to B rank.
- Wisdom of the Great God (B+ Rank): Due to being known as 'the beautiful bride of the gods', Skadi's body possesses the blessings and protection of the Norse gods. A skill based on the wisdom obtained by the Great Odin when he gave up one of his eyes. It's similar but differs from Scathach's 'Wisdom of Dún Scáith' skill.
Noble Phantasm[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
Hirokazu Koyama is the character illustrator for Scáthach-Skadi.
References[edit | edit source]
- Fate/Grand Order material VII - Scáthach-Skadi, Profile translated by BananaShiki
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Section 14 Bringing Twilight Here Once Again (Middle)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Section 5 Castle of Snow and Ice (Beginning)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Anastasia: Prologue Intro 1
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Gotterdammerung: Section 4 Lord of Creation (End)
- Fate/Grand Order - Skadi's voice lines, Bond level 1
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Gotterdammerung: Section 6 Castle of Snow and Ice (End)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Gotterdammerung: Section 2 Assault of the Demonic Sword (End)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Section 12 You, Who Was Like the Spring Sunshine
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Section 16 Beyond the Gaze
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Section 17 Go, Beyond the Twilight
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Gotterdammerung: Section 3 Lord of Creation (Beginning)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Section 15 Bringing Twilight Here Once Again (End)