Servants are spirits made into special familiars of the highest rank, referred to as Ghost Liners by the Mage's Association, that are bound to the Master. Typically Heroic Spirits under most systems, they can also sometimes be Divine Spirits, Phantoms, Wraiths, and living people depending on various circumstances. Pure Heroic Spirits, the "main body" in the Throne of Heroes, can only be summoned by the World, and summoning even one is considered to be a miraculous occurrence. Differing from the normal definition of familiars that can be likened to minor mascots unable to be stronger than their masters, Heroic Spirits are the most powerful of beings with which even the five magicians would never be able to forge a contract with. Rather than it being a hard process to summon them or the fact that they far surpass magi, it is their intrinsic nature in that they are beings beyond magecraft. Magi can perform rituals to borrow their power to mimic them, but cannot summon actual Heroic Spirits themselves.
Even the Holy Grail lacks the power to summon a true Heroic Spirit, so the process is facilitated by summoning them into one of seven vessels prepared beforehand. The Greater Grail makes a copy using information from the "main body" of the Heroic Spirit, an "emanation", that returns to them as information, in the form of a soul, upon the death of the Servant. Disconnected from the "main body", they are able to know of the actions of the Servant through records, as if reading a book.
Similarly as to how daemons require a form invented by humans in order to take shape, Heroic Spirits need a form to exist in the world. The vessels, classes, act as their temporary name and method of existing. Acting like a "passport to the present", the vessel prepares them for their role as a familiar in advance, allows them to take on that role to help them take form, and brings them forth into the world. Each class identifies only the core skills of the Heroic Spirit because replication of all their abilities is impossible. Their main traits align with the class and are given form, matching the principal nature of the class. Only heroes matching the attributes of the classes are brought forth, allowing them to be summoned into any reflecting their abilities.
Although too powerful to be controlled by humans, they are bound by three Command Spells, representing the Masters' "right to rule" over them, with obedience towards the Command Spells being the "absolute condition required for materialization." Due to the prospect of having a wish granted by the Holy Grail, it also serves as an incentive to cooperate with the Master, as well as requiring them for energy upkeep and acting as their anchor to the world. Killing them will normally go against their purpose, but the Command Spells protect the Master from those who would kill them to seek out one who would be more suitable.
The Ritual: Heroic Spirit Summon (儀式・英霊召喚, Gishiki: Eirei Shōkan?) is a ritual by the planet to summon "humanity's strongest seven Heroic Spirits," Grand Servants, to fight against "a single powerful enemy," such as the Beasts. Ritual: Holy Grail War (儀式・聖杯戦争, Gishiki: Seihai Sensō?) is a derivative of that ritual, alterering the spell to be used by humans for the sake of wishing on a Holy Grail. It took the concept of "seven powers against one" and turned it into "seven Heroic Spirits fighting one another." In comparison to the Grand Servants, the resulting Servants are described as "cheap, convenient, multi-purpose familiars" by Andersen.
Although Servants are beings of Ether that do not get energy from oxygen, they are given forms similar to air-breathing lifeforms, allowing them to "carry out pulmonary respiration as a land type endoskeleton life form." Though they do not require oxygen to function, the lack of air from suffocation can halt their magical energy cycle. Though they can likely endure more than a human, they will eventually reach their limit if enough time passes.
While some Servants exercise for recreation, their body of Ether is unaffected aside from generating sweat. If a Servant's body part is severed, it can remain in the world so long as the Servant's Spiritual Core is intact. If it is given another source of magical energy before the Servant fades away, it can remain in the world afterward.
Heroic Spirits will most often take the form that represents their golden age at the prime of their lives, but effects like those of a strong curse or a personal attachment to the form can change that to even their selves from just before death. Certain wounds, conditions, and illnesses may remain should they be "something indispensable" for their origin, such as Nero Claudius's migraines as the skill Migraine, Okita Souji's tuberculosis as the Skill Weak Constitution, and Benienma's severed tongue. Once a Servant has been summoned in a Holy Grail War, it is possible for them to retain items from the war, such as Cú Chulainn's makeshift spear from the Second Tokyo Holy Grail War or Artoria's lion plush given to her by Shirou Emiya. If a Servant is summoned or altered in an abnormal way, that self is recorded. Amakusa Shirou says that his summoning in the Ruler-class is a right he gained after his Master forced him into the class, but summoning him without an urgent matter would be almost impossible.
Skills like Mad Enhancement, Mental Pollution, and Innocent Monster can influence their forms and personalities when summoned as Servants, changing them drastically depending on how they were perceived in life or after death. The preference of the Master and suitability for certain Servant classes may also affect them. It also may be the case that how history recorded them became distorted, such as Astolfo appearing feminine when history calls him the "most handsome" of his peers, Alexander the Great being very tall when history recorded him as shorter than average, and those of an opposite gender from their legends.
- Artist Servants - Mozart's opinion is that artist Servants can only be summoned in two states, their selves as children and their selves as young adults. He declares they can appear in no other age, stating that their peak represents the height of their "genius." For those summoned as children, he states, "The ones who appear as children grew up to be decent, dignified adults. That's why they manifest as 'children,' when they were called geniuses. Child prodigies who didn't care about the problems they caused." As the talents of an artist originates from their instinct, they are summoned at the point said instincts were their strongest, their state as "pure geniuses." For young adults, Mozart states, "Those ones are weirdos and scum, who would never change until the day they die!" Romani Archaman states that such a declaration is convincing coming from Mozart.
- Elizabeth Báthory - Elizabeth is summoned as the unwed daughter of house Báthory, and Innocent Monster brings out the qualities of her dragon blood.
- Hans Christian Andersen - Summoned in the form of a young boy for an unknown reason, he attributes it to either being the point where he was "most overflowing with sensitivity" or possibly the preference of his Master, Kiara Sessyoin. Innocent Monster causes him to take on a number of attributes from his stories.
- Jack the Ripper - Having never been revealed to the public, this form of Jack the Ripper can take on the forms of any of the multitude of theories behind the murders.
- King Arthur - King Arthur is a special case in that she is not yet deceased as of her summoning. Taken directly from when she makes the Contract with the World, she is different from regular true Heroic Spirits.
- Li Shuwen - Normally older after having discovered in life that his true strength was that of his convictions, his Master wishing for a stealthy Servant brings forth his younger self with traits more suited to his Assassin class.
- Medusa - While she appears in the human state from before her descent as a monster, she is just the Gorgon in human form. Sides of herself can become those of a monster at any time, mirrored by her Monstrous Strength Skill.
- Nursery Rhyme - Takes on the form of its Master's projected feelings.
- The Hundred-Faced Hassan - While a single being in life, his Noble Phantasm Zabaniya: Delusional Illusion has separated him into many different entities that wish to have a unified personality.
- Vlad III - Strongly influenced by both his heroic deeds in Romania and the attribution of Dracula to his legend, he has been shown in two different states. Innocent Monster greatly applies the status of Dracula to him, while being summoned in Romania greatly emphasizes his heroic aspects.
Servants are beings able to switch between a Spiritual Body and Material Body at will. While in spiritual form, they cannot be easily detected by enemies due to being invisible to the naked eye and most forms of scrying, or be affected by physical interference. They can travel where they please without being impeded by walls, but they also cannot carry anything in that state. Their senses are limited to spiritual sensations, so they must materialize in order to fully experience normal senses when sharing a visual link with their Master. Their upkeep cost is low when not materialized, so many Masters prefer them to stay in spirit form when they are not fighting or doing other tasks that require them to be in physical form to lower the cost on themselves. Depending on the disposition of the Servant or a special case like Saber, such an order may be impossible. It is also hard for them to affect a Material Body in that state, so they must materialize to properly engage in combat.
While they may bleed and take damage to their organs, their true being resides in a Spiritual Core (霊核, Reikaku?) they obtain upon first materializing. Their Material Body envelopes it, and damage must be inflicted to it in order for them to be defeated. It gradually diminishes under magical energy expenditure and while sustaining bodily damage, and their expenditure will escalate under such conditions. If it is damaged through powerful magical energy, curses, or Noble Phantasms, it will be destroyed, meaning that the Servant can no longer stay materialized. The heart and head are directly connected to it, so they are a Servant's greatest weaknesses. Sustaining damage will significantly weaken it, with some Servants having it instantly destroyed and some with Skills like Battle Continuation being able to at least temporarily sustain themselves.
While they have Material Bodies like humans, the composition is drastically different. They are of a much higher magnitude, so it is normally impossible for portions to be transplanted onto a human. Shirou Emiya is able to obtain Archer's arm due to them being the same person. Normally the recipient would die of shock, but being even closer than twins allows the surgery to succeed, although Shirou needs to wear the Shroud of Martin to supress the negative effects Archer's arm would have on his body. It is still too much for him even in that case, so being connected to it slowly kills him. Sieg, a homunculus, obtains Siegfried's heart, gaining the ability to transform and have a longer lifespan, yet his body is consumed by memories of Siegfried until it is no longer the same, ending up transforming into a dragon.
Servants must maintain a certain amount of energy to remain materialized and fight, and they must have an anchor to the world, their Master or another physical being in order to remain in the world. Their current strength is reflected by their current stores of energy, so they will lose strength as they lose energy. The Grail itself provides most of the upkeep for Servants during the duration of the Holy Grail War, so Masters, granted Magical Paths to supply energy, do not need to provide vast amounts of energy normally. More energy intensive Servants like A-rank Servants and Berserker-class Servants can still pose a great threat should they not have the ability to provide their upkeep, even draining them to death in the case of Berserkers. Those who are cognizant are able to throttle the energy they intake, keeping their output to a minimum or using only their own stores when their Masters are unable to provide their full cost.
If the Servant is without a Master, has issues with the Magical Paths, or has a Master unable to supply energy, they must supplement themselves elsewhere. As Human Spirits, they have the ability to consume the souls and minds of people and convert them into energy. Their basic abilities do not change from such nourishment, but they become tougher as their magical energy capacity increases. They can also intake semen or blood for energy depending on their method of processing it. Places like Ryuudou Temple can naturally allow them to subside longer, and draining directly from leylines is possible for some. With a full stock of energy, they can subside for a time even with the constant cost of upkeep, and they regain some energy from their own magic circuits daily. Remaining in spiritual form can decrease their upkeep, and while in material form, dematerializing weapons and armor can help cut it somewhat. Food can be converted to supply some energy, and sleeping can stop the consumption. This only helps when no action is taken due to even a single battle using upwards of twenty times as much energy as simply existing, so such methods are only stop-gaps compared to taking in souls.
Servants do not need to eat food, but food can be converted into magical energy to slightly offset energy consumption. Many Servants, especially those who are royalty, choose to do so for recreational purposes. In the case of a Servant possessing a human body directly like Jeanne D'arc, she needs to eat due to the high amount of calories she burns as a Servant affecting the body's energy, but the human body will not die from starvation. Servants can become intoxicated from alcohol consumption.
Servants do not need to sleep, but they can sleep in their physical body as a means of reducing energy consumption if they cannot or refuse to return to spiritual form. For Artoria Pendragon who cannot receive energy or return to spiritual form in the Fifth Fuyuki Holy Grail War, sleeping combined with her natural regeneration of magical energy give her a small surplus of energy if she doesn't battle. They do not posses the function to dream like humans, but the Master and Servant connection can allow some Master and Servant pairs to see past memories of each other in the form of dreams.
Even having a full supply will not help a Servant should they lose their anchor to the world with the loss of their Master, so they must quickly seek out another contract. While normally not much of a burden, their energy noticeably drains by the second without one. Depending on the amount of energy and upkeep cost, they may only be able to stay materialized for a brief time. Saber can manage only two hours, while Caster can last two days with a full supply of energy. Those with Independent Action are able to subside without Master support far longer than others, allowing them a better chance to seek out another contract. Much like the class container, their anchor is a "passport to the current age", so losing that will mean being forced to return to the "outside." They cannot form proper contracts with other Servants, as spirits cannot link spirits to the World. Caster is able to summon Assassin, but it is an improper summoning with several complications; rather than her being his anchor, it is the mountain gate, so Assassin cannot leave the area. Without a Master, they are no different than regular spirits and may be affected by the Church's scripture.
It is possible to remain materialized as a normal familiar after the Holy Grail War ends, but it greatly increases the cost without active support from the Grail. Rin Tohsaka, a superior magus, has no issue in providing for Saber's upkeep, Noble Phantasm usage, and Shirou Emiya's Reality Marble at the same time during the Holy Grail War, but in-turn requires the majority of her energy and Shirou's help in keeping Saber materialized after it ends in Unlimited Blade Works. The only one easily able to maintain a Servant is Sakura Matou after becoming the Grail in Heaven's Feel, granting her a limitless supply that easily allows her to maintain Rider. Gilgamesh incarnating allows him to exist indefinitely by granting him A+ Independent Action, allowing him to exist for ten years with no issues. Ruler becomes incarnated through another method, allowing him to exist for about sixty years.
All Servants have an Alignment (属性, Zokusei?), a status showing a clear representation of the mentality of the Servant, differing from the elemental alignment of magi. It is broken down into two parts, a combination of the principles they consider important to their personality. Principles are reflected as Chaotic (混沌／渾沌, Konton/Konton?), Lawful (秩序, Chitsujo?), and Neutral (中立, Chūritsu?, "True"), and their personalities are reflected as Good (善, Zen?), Evil (悪, Waru?), and Neutral (中庸, Chūyō?). Other personalities include Summer (夏, Natsu?) and Bride (花嫁, Hanayome?).Berserker Servants have also displayed Insane (狂化, Kyōka?) as a "principle", and Mad (狂, Kyō?) and Reckless (暴走, Bōsō?) as their "personalities." Differences in personality will not result in major discord, but differing principles can make Servants resolving their differences of opinions difficult. While two Servants may have the same personalities as "good", like King Arthur and Gilgamesh, their Lawful and Chaotic principles lead to differing opinions.
- Servants without a known alignment can be found here.
Jeanne d'Arc (Swimsuit)
Jeanne d'Arc Alter (Swimsuit)
Nero Claudius Caesar (Swimsuit)
Oda Nobunaga (Swimsuit)
|Neutral Mad||Chaotic Mad|
|Bride||Lawful Bride||Neutral Bride||Chaotic Bride|
Nero Claudius Caesar (Bride)
|Reckless||Lawful Reckless||Neutral Reckless||Chaotic Reckless||Insane Reckless|
Elizabeth Báthory (Berserker)
|Variable||Changes depending on Master|
Those summoned as Servants are given the minimum information required to allow them to fit into any era. No matter how ancient the Heroic Spirit, they should understand a number of concepts that were not known in their time. The idea that Saber may be shocked about the immediate world initially worries Shirou Emiya, but the knowledge makes such worry unnecessary. Irisviel von Einzbern first believes that Saber may find flying in a plane to be an amazing experience, but it instead seems less than expected to her. Flying in a plane is also mitigated due to her Riding Skill that could potentially even grant her the ability to fly it. While not given enough information to actually drive modern vehicles, higher ranks of Riding grant the ability to manage such through intuition even if they do not actually recognize what each separate control of a vehicle will actually perform what action. Conversely, even though Ruler understands the basic principles behind the concept of a plane, she is unnerved by the idea of a mass of metal flying through the sky and only has the relief that it did not fall out of the sky after landing. With language, Rider displays the ability to speak English to his Master, Waver Velvet, and also speak Japanese to Taiga Fujimura, allowing him to easily translate between the two.
The knowledge is not all-encompassing, so concepts may still have to be explained to them. Rider is shocked at the true scope of the world compared to the area he had conquered in life, and needs to have certain areas shown to him on a map. He enjoys spending his time learning about different aspects of the world such as wars since his time, and details like the price of a stealth bomber are not immediately known to him. Saber does not understand the idea of dating until it is specifically explained. They are granted knowledge on the Holy Grail ritual itself, but only as much as the outside Masters are told. They do not know of its true purpose in being a method requiring all seven to be sacrificed to reach the Root, only believing it to be a war for a single wish. The knowledge can change upon the nature of the war changing, allowing knowledge of the two teams of Servants and factions of the Great Holy Grail War to be given to them.
They are not granted knowledge on other Heroes through the Grail, but rather from knowledge gained within the Throne of Heroes. Witnessing traits of other Servants can allow them to deduce their True Names with the knowledge even if they are from incompatible eras. Aberrations like Saber, who is not part of the Throne of Heroes due to her circumstances, are able to identify those whose legends would have been known to them in life, such as Cú Chulainn, but cannot identify the legends of later Heroic Spirits like Gilles de Rais even after being directly named.
Under the Fuyuki system, Servants are summoned with the memories of only when they were alive, not retaining anything from after they became a Heroic Spirit. The memories of Servants are returned to the Throne after each summoning, their experiences stored as integrated memories. The Throne of Heroes, having no concept of past or future, contains all of these memories. As the act of a Servant taking in all of a Heroic Spirit's memories would create contradictions, like knowing of events of the very Holy Grail War into which they were summoned, their memories are adjusted to match the time and place into which they are summoned. The Throne also adjusts knowledge and memories according to the world in which they are summoned, to avoid the Servant being confused by multiple sets of memories. Gilgamesh in Fate/strange Fake speculates that, "It may be a desperate measure on the part of the Throne to curb the world's contradictions, even if only slightly."
The Chaldea system of summoning is an exception that allows for Servants to remember past summonings or retain memories. Within Chaldea, the storage of Saint Graphs allows for defeated Servants to be resummoned with all their memories from Chaldea, but certain circumstances can potentially destroy those memories. Memories formed in Singularities are also more easily remembered. Trisha Fellows, studied in Heroic Spirits, theorizes that Reality Marbles, along with Singularities, may allow Servants to keep memories of their summonings. Certain circumstances can also allow certain Servants to bypass the system. Artoria Pendragon's unique circumstances cause her to remember everything she experiences in chronological order. Kundry, due to the circumstances of having been reincarnated multiple times before becoming a Heroic Spirit, remembers all of her summonings. Gilgamesh, while not naturally retaining memories, can bypass the restriction by utilizing his clairvoyance to see into other worlds.
Differing from those who do retain memories, while Francesca Prelati is a still existing version of the Heroic Spirit François Prelati, Francois only remembers up until he was first executed when summoned as a Servant. Should Hassan of Serenity ever fall in love during a summoning, those memories will be sealed within the Throne of Heroes, making it so that particular version will never be summoned again, even in the case of being summoned into the Chaldea system.
- Main article: Saint Graph
The Spiritual Foundation (霊基, Reiki?, Localized as "Spirit Origin"), or Saint Graph (セイントグラフ, Seinto Gurafu?), of a Servant is the core of a Servant's existence, described as "their center, their heart, their CPU" that dictates their every function. It differs from the Spiritual Core acting as the foundation of the Servant container.
Within Chaldea Security Organization, they are able to store the Saint Graphs of Servants to allow for their quick resummoning with their memories intact.
Heroic Spirit Possession
Heroic Spirit Possession (英霊憑依, Eirei Hyōi?) is the process of a Heroic Spirit fusing with a human in some capacity. It is possible for a Servant to possess a human, fuse with a human to become a Demi-Servant, and for a human to act as a receptacle for the facilitation of the summoning to become a Pseudo-Servant. Normally the souls of Heroic Spirits would overwhelm those of humans, making it impossible for them to intermix and grant a human the powers of the Heroic Spirit. Pure souls like those of homunculi can have a better time accepting their power and withstanding transformation of the flesh. The act of a Heroic Spirit possessing a human for even a single second can be called a miracle in itself.
- The Greater Grail is able to make the process work for Ruler by searching for a match with a compatible physical build, spiritual build, personality, and magical energy. The possession seals the target's former personality and spiritually installs the Heroic Spirit. After receiving clearance from the host personality, it performs a "cross-domain base anatomy backup" to be able to restore the target even if Ruler is killed. It adapts the physical and spiritual build, grants the Class Skills, grants knowledge of Heroic Spirits and the modern era, and inputs other required data. Overwriting and merging with the target's body and personality, Ruler notes having most of the target's memories. Rather than two personalities in one body, it is more that they merged into one.
- Through an intermediary, like a part of a Heroic Spirit's body or a related catalyst implanted into someone's body, it can be possible to call down the Heroic Spirit directly from the Throne of Heroes to inhabit their body. The process requires something of great power like a Command Spell, and the transformation will only last a few minutes. Due to possessing Siegfried's heart, his soul, and through special Command Spells, Sieg is able to act as a shell for the body of Siegfried, retaining his own personality while being able to utilize Siegfried's abilities.
- Some Servants possess abilities that can cause a strong effect on the body of the Master, so they are able to share a physical body with their Master. The Master can become close to an immortal existence for the duration of the Holy Grail War by not being able to die until the Servant dies, but it does not increase their power to the point where they would be able to fight an existence greater than an Assassin-class Servant.
- Main article: Class Card
- Main article: Demi-Servant
- Main article: Grand Servant
- Main article: High-Servant
- Main article: Pseudo-Servant
Shadow Servants (シャドウサーヴァント, Shadou Sāvanto?) are a variety of Servant that is incomplete, degraded, or false. There are any number of circumstances that bring them about, such as a bad summoning, or blackening. The Seven Fake Heroic Spirits created by Jeanne Alter are similar in nature. In Fate/EXTELLA LINK they are created by Karl der Große with the residual energy a Servant's Spirit Core leaves at the location of their summoning.
Stray Servant (はぐれサーヴァント, Hagure Sāvuanto?, localized as "Rogue Servant") is a term for Servants who were summoned without a Master or lost their Master. For those in a normal Holy Grail War, they can last between several hours and several days depending on their abilities. They can supplement themselves, but require an anchor to exist for longer than that. Stray Servants appearing in the Grand Orders are able to exist without a Master.
Top Servants (トップ・サーヴァント, Toppu Sāvanto?) are the most powerful "heroes among heroes" in human history who represent the pinnacle of Heroic Spirits. When summoned by the Moon Cell to deal with threats like the awakening of Velber 02 in Fate/EXTELLA, they are said to be summoned in a special class different from the normal classes.
Udon Servants (うどんサーヴァント, Udon Sāvanto?) are Servants created in the parody work Learn with Manga! FGO. They are created from mixing a spirit, Holy Grail Mud, and udon dough. They start out as small, sentient blob of udon dough, eventually developing into Servants.
Masters summon their Servants at the start of each ritual. Different system possess different means of facilitating the summoning.
Summoning without a system
It is possible to utilize Heroic Spirit summoning without establishing a dedicated system around a Holy Grail or other catalyst. Gilgamesh utilizes what he calls "real Heroic Spirit summoning" in the Babylonia Singularity, saying it is unlike that of Chaldea. Merlin notes that the timeframe being that of the end of the Age of Gods makes it easier to summon them than in modern times, saying that neither he or Gilgamesh would find it easy to summon them in the magecraft-diminished 21st Century.
Under systems based upon the Fuyuki ritual, there are several factors that determine which Heroic Spirit the Master will summon. It is general that the seven participating Masters are all magi due to requiring basic magecraft to properly perform the summoning, but the quality of the Masters does not matter so long as the most basic summoning requirements are met to fill out the Grail's requirement of seven Servants being manifested. Upon selecting the Masters, the Grail distributes the massive amount of magical energy it has gathered among them to facilitate the process.
Performing a summoning ritual facilitates the process in which the copy of the Heroic Spirit is brought into the chosen class container. Most Masters will prepare a catalyst with which to summon their desired Heroic Spirit, but it is not absolutely necessary. Without a specific artifact, the Grail will, rather than base it on their power, choose a Servant based upon similarities to the summoner's own nature. When choosing based on power with a catalyst, bad compatibility may make forming a bond impossible, bringing about hardships without being able to have faith in each other. When allowing for a good affinity, it may bring forth a weaker Servant, and it is possible that a single mistake could rouse bad feelings between them due to the resemblance in their personalities being so close.
While the summoning ritual (儀式の召喚, gishiki no shōkan?) are generally specific, their main goal in the Holy Grail War system is to act as a precaution to create a bond with a perfect, reliable Servant. They really only require a summoning circle, even if unskilled, and a catalyst can bypass the need of chanting a spell. Doing so can create aberrations like Gilles de Rais being placed into a normally unsuitable class or King Arthur having a bad connection with her Master that does not allow her to receive magical energy through normal methods. Flatt Escardos is a complete anomaly in that he is able to complete the ritual without even meaning to summon a Servant, simply by "fiddling" with the magical energy in the area. The connection to his Servant is spontaneously established, and it is unknown if it can be called a miracle, luck, or an achievement of his own latent potential. It is possible to specify in the summoning ritual that the Servant be placed under the Berserker class for those familiar with the workings of the Grail System. By adding in a specific line, Zouken Matou and the Einzbern family, as members of the Three Founding Families, were able to choose this class during the Fourth and Fifth Wars respectively. In the Great Holy Grail War, each faction has a summoning ritual according to the color they represent.
Catalysts (触媒, Shokubai?) are symbols and holy relics used to attract the desired Heroic Spirit. Requiring something with a connection to the hero, it can be anything from a sword, armor, a talisman, or even their bones. While something like Rin's Pendant is an artifact holding great power on its own, it is unable to help summon a Servant. If the catalyst is one that is particularly weak, or if it is one with a connection to many different Heroic Spirits, the Heroic Spirit among the candidates that has good affinity with the Master will be chosen. Some are those that have only been connected to a single Heroic Spirit, allowing them to be brought forth regardless of affinity with the Master. In a rare case, EMIYA's catalyst is not the pendant Rin owns in the present. EMIYA is instead a case where he holds a catalyst with a connection to his summoner.
Catalysts are extremely valuable, and it can take much effort depending on the Servant the Master wishes to summon. The Mage's Association, having been collecting the esoterica of thaumaturgy for generations since ancient times, has a grand number of catalysts "numbering among the stars." Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald is able to order a relic from Macedonia, while the Einzberns have to specifically have Avalon excavated from Cornwall. Within the Fate/Apocrypha world, the spread of the Holy Grail War system means many catalysts quickly disappearing over seventy years and numerous Grail Wars. Especially those of Gilgamesh, King Arthur, and Alexander the Great have been scattered and lost over time, and Yggdmillennia specifically collects desired artifacts over decades to procure enough excellent Heroic Spirits. The Association still has enough even then to easily provide seven catalysts to their Red Faction on a short notice.
Chaldea (FATE System)
Chaldea's summoning system requires both Master and summoned Servant to agree to the summoning.
Due to the Human Order being in disarray and its own unique properties, it allows for the summoning of Divine Spirits.
The system allows for the summoning of Pseudo-Servants.
Ainsworth (Class Cards)
Servants summoning Servants
It is also possible for some Servants to bring forth other Servants under limited conditions with their own abilities and Noble Phantasms:
- Alexander the Great's Ionioi Hetairoi allows for tens of thousands of Servants to be summoned within the Reality Marble. Only one can be summoned outside of it due to the corrective impulses of the World.
- Okita Souji's Flag of Sincerity can summon a small squad of Servants to fight temporarily.
- Shakespeare's First Folio can bring forth Servants as "characters", but they are weaker than a Caster-class Servant in function.
- Scáthach can summon Servants with her Original Runes, using herself as the catalyst.
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi's Transcendent Dazzling Castle of the Sun can summon a number of his retinue as Servants, but they can only fight outside of the fortress for a brief period due to their energy source being located inside.
- Richard I's Rounds of Lionheart allows for him to bring a small group of Heroic Spirits with him upon his summoning, voluntarily bringing them directly from the Throne of Heroes.
Under normal circumstances, the Fuyuki ritual is made for the summoning of only "pure Heroic Spirits", so with the exception of Hassan-i-Sabbah, those who are "mixed spirits" "who only have the aspect of a Heroic Spirit" cannot be summoned. Through the induction of Angra Mainyu into the Grail after the Third Holy Grail War in the main timeline and the alterations made by Darnic Prestone Yggdmillennia in the alternate timeline of the Great Holy Grail War, it becomes possible to summon those with anti-hero aspects. That limitation is not present in other Holy Grail Wars like the Moon Cell Holy Grail War.
Divine Spirits cannot be summoned normally under most systems. Due to their nature, it is nearly impossible for them to manifest in the current world.
- Fuyuki - Within the Fuyuki system, summoning full Divine Spirits is beyond its ability, and it is said the capability to reproduce phenomena of that level would render the Holy Grail unnecessary in the first place. Only through losing their complete Divinity did Chiron and Brynhildr become existences able to be summoned, and Medusa, more of a Divine Spirit than a Heroic Spirit, became applicable only after her Divinity decreased through becoming a monster. The Einzberns were confident in their ability to circumvent their own system to bring about the god Angra Mainyu, but he was a Heroic Spirit instead.
- Moon Cell - Within the Moon Cell, the recorded Divine Spirits are considered to be non-human Heroic Spirits and stored in its Servant records. Though none are summoned for the proper Holy Grail War, BB creates the Alter Egos from combining several goddesses into each of them.
- FATE - Under the FATE system, it is possible for Divine Spirits to be summoned, but Dr. Roman explains that such a thing should be impossible.
- Class Cards - Under the Class Card system, Julian Ainsworth has encapsulated the power of Magni, the half-giant son of Thor into a Class Card.
- Imperial Holy Grail - Under the system used by the Nazis in the Strange Tales of the Imperial Holy Grail, it is possible to summon Pseudo-Servants, including Divine Spirits, in a limited capacity.
Within the Fuyuki Holy Grail War system, there is a rule that makes only the summoning of Western Heroic Spirits possible due to the Holy Grail being a Western, Christian concept and that the summoning system was created in the world of Western magi.< Sasaki Kojiro of the Fifth Holy Grail War is a complete aberration in many ways. Other systems like the Moon Cell Holy Grail War have no such restrictions.
Within the Fuyuki Holy Grail War framework, one from the grouping of nineteen Hassan-i-Sabbah will generally be summoned as the Assassin-class Servant due to the very name "Assassin" acting as their catalyst. It is said to be fixed in the system itself that Hassan will always be summoned, but there is a small chance, so low as to be considered nonexistent, that another will answer the summons. Within the world of Fate/Apocrypha, the Subcategory Holy Grail War led to a proliferation in the number of Hassans summoned, allowing all of their True Names and Noble Phantasms to be documented. Masters eventually began adding additional lines to the summoning incantations and bringing catalysts not associated with Hassan to call upon different Heroic Spirits.
- Main article: Skills
Servants have six primary statistics that make up their overall strength:
- Strength (筋力, Kinryoku?): Bodily might in terms of power.
- Endurance (耐久, Taikyū?): How much damage one can withstand.
- Agility (敏捷, Binshō?): Quickness and speed of reaction.
- Magical Power (魔力, Maryoku?): How much magical energy can be handled.
- Good Luck (幸運, Kōun?): The quality of one's luck.
- Noble Phantasm (宝具, Hōgu?): The strength of the Noble Phantasm one owns. While the ranking will often match their strongest Noble Phantasm, it will sometimes only reflect a secondary Noble Phantasm, or display a ranking higher or lower than their available wares.
Each of the statistics and Skills are translated into specific parameters, reflecting the individual ability of each Servant. They display strength and speed far beyond normal humans, showing in battle displays likened to a "dimension that is completely at odds with the physical laws of this world." Simple hand-to-hand combat between two Servants is enough to wreck a city street in a manner able to be compared to having been carpet-bombed, damaging the ground with only their footfalls, cutting metal with only the backlash caused by their weapons clashing, and tearing away iron from simply brushing against it with weapons. The usage of their Noble Phantasms can easily leave an area in complete ruin, some displaying the capability to easily wreck part of a city with minimum usage or even an entire city should enough time pass.
Both their movement speed and dexterity is enough to make them invisible to the human eye, looking like a breeze of wind when running past and only leaving the aftershocks of their attacks to be felt by onlookers. Compared to even a top-class motorcycle like Saber's V-Max able to reach over four hundred kilometers per hour, the dexterity of a Servant places them far above it in both maximum acceleration and speed, and they can rival a jet fighter in speed with proper footwork. It may be still advantageous to use a motorized vehicle in a pursuit due to it only relying on its fuel rather than using their own energy while running on foot. The speed of bullets travelling faster than the speed of sound poses no threat, unable to surpass the speed with which they wield their weapons, and those with greater dexterity can easily deflect them with their weapons. Not bound by normal logic, they are able to move up the sides of buildings simply by kicking off the sides.
Even the smallest of Servants will have little issue in carrying a person, and Rider, casually copying something out of a comic, is able to lift a vehicle from a construction site to slam down onto her opponents. Even those who are physically weak compared to others like Caster-class Servants show great feats of strength, Gilles de Rais displaying grip strength enough to easily crush a human skull and Medea severing an arm with a ritualistic dagger unable to normally even be considered lethal to a regular human.
Masters who have made contracts with Servants have the ability to read out the status of a Servant with powers of clairvoyance. It is a unique ability granted by the Grail that summoned the Heroic Spirits, so it cannot be used by those without a contract. They can see through the abilities of the other Servants and compare them to those of their own so that they can guide them as efficiently as possible in battle situations. Tokiomi Tohsaka owned a book that provides a similar ability, but it is useless to a full Master. It was passed on to Rin Tohsaka after his death, and she gives it to Shirou Emiya because he lacks a proper connection to Saber. The book itself is blank, but simply looking at a random page gives him an image in his head that allows him to look upon all known statuses of the Servants in the War. Reading the book will give him new details any time he reads it, and Rin says that he will be able to identify Servants from intuition without using the book after he gets used to it. It is reflected in-game as the Servant status screen.
The strength of the summoned Servants depends on various factors. It is ideal if the Servant can wield their original power as a Heroic Spirit, but it is also possible that they can even surpass their original selves in the case of the attribute enhancement from Mad Enhancement of the Berserker class. It is also possible to obtain abilities from Class Skills they did not originally have in life, such as Riding modern vehicles, or have their own attributes strengthened by their classes' natural attributes.
- Cultural Sphere (文化圏, Bunkaken?) - The Land (土地, Tochi?) in which the Servant is summoned and the Recognition (認識, Ninshiki?) they receive there are factors that play a role in their strength. The closer they are to the stage of their legend, a geographical boost, and the more that they are known makes them "stronger", bringing them closer to the strength they had in their legend and providing them with more of their equipment displayed in their legend. Depending on the circumstances, it is possible it can bless them with additional Noble Phantasms. The boost from recognition alone is not that large in making a difference in power as when Rin Tohsaka is speculating on Gilgamesh's ability to overwhelm other Servants. Land plays a greater factor with Cú Chulainn, Heracles, and King Arthur being three heroes around the same level of strength when summoned in Europe. Each would be strengthened in Europe and benefit most greatly in battle in their home country, though Heracles' fame would allow him to display excellent power throughout all of western Europe. Cú Chulainn, gaining zero influence from not being known as well in Japan, does not fully display his "shining existence" on par with them while in Fuyuki, but would anywhere else in the world. He would obtain several benefits from being summoned in his homeland, Ireland, and outfight Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, who would have an advantage when both are unaffected by the cultural sphere and have other factors at play. Vlad III gains a great boost in Romania, placing him on the same level as those famed heroes, and Semiramis gains her maximum fame while in the confines of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
- Magical Energy of the Master - The more powerful the magical energy of the Master, the greater the Servant will be able to reach the strength they displayed in their legend. If they cannot provide proper energy or if the Servant lacks a Master for a time, their parameters lower in proportion. If it is a lack of energy, unknown factors will lower parameters and Skills with some Servants, while the Master's way of life may affect others. King Arthur, serving under several different Masters, displays a number of different sets of parameters due to fluctuating levels of energy. Under Shirou Emiya, she receives no energy because his Magical Paths are obstructed and cannot display her full strength. Kiritsugu Emiya is able to supply energy to have her be stronger than when under Shirou, but her luck is affected by his personality due to still not providing enough energy. Rin Tohsaka is an excellent magus that allows her to unleash her full abilities without being affected. Two Servants who would be balanced differently under other circumstances may find the balance tipped when one has better Master support.
- Container Parameters - Unmodified by the strengths and weaknesses of specific Heroic Spirits, the containers of the seven standard Servant classes of the Fuyuki Grail War possess known base parameters. The parameters of the containers has not been shown to affect summoned Servants, allowing for parameters higher and lower than those of the containers. If the hero should be utterly weak to the point of defenselessness like Stheno and Euryale, it is possible for the containers to increase their strength far beyond their regular selves.
Container Str End Agi Man Luk Saber A B B C D Archer C C C E E Lancer B C A D E Rider D D B C E Caster E E C A B Berserker C D D E E Assassin D D B E B
Under the FATE system, it is possible for Servants to undergo Ascension (霊基再臨, Reiki Sairin?, Spirit Foundation Second Coming), a reform for the Servants to become stronger by coming closer to their "starting point of conception." It may even bring about a younger, more inexperienced form without reducing their power as a Servant because it is the "most fitting figure" for them.
Form Change: Altered Morphology (形態変化, Keitai Henka?) is an element present in Fate/EXTELLA that allows for Servants to be strengthened in battle, altering their outward appearance and weapons. This is only given to the wielders of the Regalia, rings that symbolize the Royal Authority of SE.RA.PH, given to Servants who have won a Moon Cell Holy Grail War.
Mythological Mystic Code
Within the Moon Cell, unlocking their Origin as a legend within a Servant grants them great power on the same scale as the Ten Crowns possessed by BB, granting them a Mythological Mystic Code (神話礼装, Shinwa Reisō?).
Battles between Servants can be called a process of gradually shaving off the magical energy that forms their bodies. Attacks that consume a great amount of magical energy will inflict a massive amount of damage on the opponent, but it will also weaken the attacker in the process. In order to inflict a great amount of damage with minimum expenditure of magical energy, it is necessary for them to collect intelligence regarding the enemy and assault their weakness. The greatest weapon is their Noble Phantasm, and a battle between Servants can often be called a battle between Noble Phantasms.
When describing their strength, they can be likened to a single jet fighter in pure attack power, far beyond the ability for a single person to fight. While strong, they would have to refuel many times in order to destroy a city. Though there are many modern weapons that are more powerful, their status as spiritual bodies makes them among the most powerful due to being immune to modern weapons. Their Noble Phantasms can be likened to a jet's ability to load a nuclear warhead far beyond its normal fighting power, with some Servants having extremely powerful ones. With Servants, those with an "extremely average Noble Phantasm" would have one around the level of B Rank which has strength able to be represented through numbers. Broken Phantasms, Invisible Air, and Gae Bolg's thrown strike all deal pure physical damage, while Gae Bolg's piercing version carries a conceptual effect able to kill opponents of a much higher level than the wielder.
The True Name (真名, Shinmei?) of a Servant is something vital to battle, as it can reveal much about them. They most often have their Masters refer to them solely by their class name unless they do not care like Assassin of Black, wish to have a closer connection to their Master like Caster after she reveals her identity, or are under circumstances where it no longer matters like those trapped in the Sakura Labyrinth. There are Servants and Masters with extreme confidence or no filter in revealing their True Names for all to hear, such as Rider exclaiming his name without regard and Illyasviel von Einzbern having supreme confidence in Berserker even with his name revealed.
Their names can reveal certain traits about their abilities, allowing for specific countermeasures, and there are many famous heroes that had met untimely deaths in life. Those killed by poison will be more susceptible to it, those shot down by arrows will be weak against them, those with weak spots will be severely disadvantaged if they are targeted, and those with traits like being weak to monster-slayers or dragon-slaying weapons can be specifically damaged in accordance. Even without such a specific countermeasure being available to one Master, releasing that information to the other Masters can allow for other countermeasures to be brought forth. Most Masters should know instantly of their own Servants' identities, but something like Secret of Pedigree can block even that, and the refusal of a Servant to disclose it can keep them from knowing. In the case of a weak Master susceptible to mind control, they may forgo telling them altogether until necessary.
Famous heroes like King Arthur and Siegfried are very likely to have their identities found out more easily than others, with simply glancing upon Excalibur being enough for any Heroic Spirit to identify King Arthur. Others need to utilize their Noble Phantasms before they reveal themselves, but it may require deductive reasoning even then. While the oldest legendary hero Gilgamesh is able to show off his Noble Phantasms without many being able to guess, and despite his belief that it should be obvious to others, he generally discloses it himself. Someone like Archer, being a Counter Guardian from the future and displaying numerous Noble Phantasms with Unlimited Blade Works, is a complete anomaly to others, greatly confusing all who fight him with his contradictory traits that do not match any known hero. There are also those without specific weaknesses whose True Names will bring no trouble if revealed, like Astolfo.
There may be slight variations to the True Names depending on different circumstances:
- Alter (オルタ, Oruta?) - Servants greatly altered from their normal selves through various means are often given the title of "Alter" after their name. True Archer, an altered Heracles, rejects being called "Heracles Alter" and instead chooses his "human name" of "Alcides".
- Lily (リリィ, Riryi?) - Servants who take on a more youthful appearance compared to their older selves are often given the title of "Lily" after their name. This title is normally only applied to female Servants, but those like Child-Gil and Alexander are referred to as Lily Servants elsewhere.
- Santa (サンタ, Santa?) - Servants acting as Santa in the Fate/Grand Order Christmas events are given the title of "Santa" after their name.
Affinity between Servants can factor into battles.
- Class Affinity - The various classes posses compatibilities against each other. Within the gameplay of Fate/Grand Order, this results in increased and decreased damage, but it is unknown what effect it has in the story. The only time it has been mentioned is within Fate/Grand Order, and no other story has mentioned it. Class affinity is said to be large enough that it should be factored into fighting the enemy.
- Hidden Attribute - The five main attributes Heroic Spirit affect Servants as well, but it does not provide a great advantage and does not need to be factored into battle.
Humans and Modern Weaponry
As spiritual beings and divine mysteries, Servants cannot be harmed by normal means and are still considered spirits even in physical form, so they cannot be physically harmed by regular humans or modern weaponry. They can only be harmed by attacks accompanied by magical energy like a Servant throwing dirks imbued with magical energy, so they can ignore even debris in battle unless it should become contaminated by an enemy's magical energy. Only Servants can normally harm other Servants physically, so even a paper knife could be used to harm a Servant should another Servant wield it. Servants that are physically incarnated through methods such as blackening can no longer return to spiritual form, allowing them to be damaged with strong enough magical weapons able to pierce the shadows surrounding them in the case of blackening.
For a human trying to apply pressure to a Servant, even one physically the size of a child, it feels like trying to bend a steel beam. Punches with all of their strength will not even cause a Servant to budge a millimeter, and even Souichirou Kuzuki, whose punch is potent enough to crush a human's skull, can only slightly move Archer's head from the impact. Stabbing them with a knife does nothing but bring about a "prickling irritation" that does not hurt at all. They can be harmed by physical attacks strengthened magically through Reinforcement or enough Command Spells. "Mere bullets" normally pose no threats to Servants regardless of the caliber, but firearms wielded as regular weapons by Servants like Francis Drake's pistols are able to inflict damage, and those ascended to the rank of Noble Phantasm like through Lancelot's Knight of Owner can prove lethal with a single shot.
Beings other than Servants that are able to combat Servants are few in modern times. Beings such as Arcueid Brunestud at 30% of her strength, Amaterasu, and Kingprotea would always generally win against a single Servant due to their overwhelming ability. Arcueid could potentially be overwhelmed by two Servants fighting at once even though she is around four times as strong as one, while Amaterasu and Kingprotea require the strength of several Servants to be defeated. If speaking of a Servant with an extremely average Noble Phantasm, the members of the Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors, Kouma Kishima, and Aoko Aozaki can fight directly, while Ciel and Shiki Ryougi's third personality can keep up in a defensive fight that can still be called a fight. Ryougi's normal personality and Shiki Tohno have no chance of matching Servants, but the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception they carry are capable of affecting such beings whether they are incarnated or spiritual bodies. Humans utilizing ten Command Spells would also be able to damage Servants. Kirei Kotomine and Kiritsugu Emiya at the peak of their strengths during the Fourth Holy Grail War could defeat Servants, but only when the weakest, Caster and Assassin, are at their most exposed, or when they have special conditions in their favor like surprise or suitability against the opponent.
Against Dead Apostle Ancestors, both are types of beings that live in Mystery, so such battles would come down to "having the means of killing the other guy somehow." Servants will generally hold a slight advantage, barring compatibility issues, and the Knight classes, Saber, Archer, and Lancer, will all be able to have solid fights. While Saber's Excalibur is extremely effective against those who overwhelm by material quantity and alienness, there are those capable of surviving being hit by Excalibur-class attacks through pure endurance. At the same time, those same ones with extreme endurance would have a tough time with Lancer's Gáe Bolg. ORT, to which Earth's rules do not apply, and Primate Murder, which has an advantage against primates and requires seven Counter Guardians to control, can be called in a league of their own above both Ancestors and Servants.
Heroic Spirits summoned by the Holy Grail are placed into one of various Classes (クラス, Kurasu?). The seven standard classes are the Three Knight (三騎士, Sankishi?) classes of Saber, Lancer, Archer, and the Four Cavalry (四騎, Shiki?) classes of Rider, Caster, Assassin, and Berserker. There are also non-standard Extra Classes (エクストラクラス, Ekusutora Kurasu?) that are "split off from the regular servant classes in order to take on certain roles", such as Ruler which oversees the Holy Grail War. Sherlock Holmes posits that due to Heroic Spirits being a concept irrespective to the existence of Classes formed for the Holy Grail Wars that not all cases of Heroic Spirits can fit into the mold of the Class system. While the Extra Classes can lessen the chance, he says that the amount of Heroic Spirits forced into Classes under which they do not belong will not be zero. This could lead to potential strain on the Servant, such as Florence Nightingale, where they are unable to deduce if her mentality reflects that of her mindset in life or a characteristic granted solely by the Berserker class. The latter case could lead to strain on her mind and Saint Graph.
Under the Fuyuki-based rituals, it is said that only the Three Knight classes will definitely be summoned according to the framework of the ritual, allowing for variation in the rest of the classes. Classes are said to have occasionally changed between the various Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars, but the Three Knight classes will never be replaced by Extra Classes. More than one version of the same class cannot be summoned, even if all the Masters were to use the variation in the summoning chant to get a Berserker-class Servant for example. Within the framework of the False Holy Grail War, the Saber-class does not even exist. Other systems like the Moon Holy Grail War, Chaldea system, and "After" the Holy Grail War allow for the summoning of hundreds of Servants, so there is no restriction on multiple classes.
Servants are normally only of the singular class under which they are summoned, but certain circumstances allow for multiple classes at once or class changes.
- Within Chaldea Security Organization, the Servant Saint Graphs are able to be modified in certain circumstances.
- The Skill Double Summon allows for two classes to be utilized simultaneously, limited only to the Cavalry classes and "modern classes" like Gunner.
- The Skill Double Class denotes a Servant formed from the fusion of two others, but provides "No actual benefits in particular."
- The Berserk status is able to be added to a Servant to grant a Berserker-like mindset.
- Within the Class Card system, Berserker Class Inheritance confers the status of Berserker on another card.
- Elizabeth Báthory and Li Shuwen undergo unconventional changes to the Berserker class in the Moon Holy Grail War.
- Some Servants possess the innate ability to switch classes
- Assassin Servant Henry Jekyll and Berserker Servant Hyde can switch between each other at will with their Noble Phantasm Dangerous Game.
- Saber Gilles de Rais has the potential to turn into his Caster self through the usage of Prelati's Spellbook.
- Atalanta Alter, summoned in the status of using her Noble Phantasm Agrius Metamorphosis, will return to her Archer self if the Noble Phantasm is forcibly peeled off.
- Tokugawa Ieyasu naturally possesses the ability to switch between all seven standard classes.
- Standard Classes
- Saber: Servants placed within this class are agile and powerful melee warriors armed with swords. It is commonly assumed to be the best class overall, with high ratings in all categories. It also possesses the Riding Skill like the Rider class.
- Lancer: Servants placed within this class are very agile and skilled with long-range melee weapons, such as spears, lances, etc.
- Archer: Servants placed within this class are usually proficient with projectiles and can survive longer without a Master nearby, thanks to their special ability Independent Action; the strongest Archers can be difficult to control at times, in fact, due to their near-total independence from their "Masters".
- Rider: Servants placed within this class place emphasis upon speed and powerful Noble Phantasms, which often include their mounts. Their special Skill is Riding, which allows them to fully utilize abilities of their mounts (which can range from simple horses to mechanical vehicles to divine or supernatural creatures).
- Caster: Servants placed within this class are adept in magecraft and have a special ability akin to a Reality Marble, called Territory Creation, which alters or creates space around them to enhance their sorcery.
- Assassin: Servants placed within this class are proficient in assassination. Within certain wars, only Hassan-i-Sabbah can be summoned due to the etymology of the word "Assassin" acting as a catalyst. The Assassins' special ability is Presence Concealment, which allows them to remain undetected. Offset by their stealth is their moderate combat skills. Due to this, Assassins often target Masters instead of Servants.
- Berserker: Servants placed within this class are always heroes who have gone berserk in their lifetime. This trait allows them to use the special ability Mad Enhancement, which trades their consciousness (i.e. sanity) for a large power boost. Most Masters are incapable of controlling their Servant once Mad Enhancement has been activated, which eventually results in their death.
- Extra Classes
- Ruler: Servants placed within this class govern the Holy Grail Wars, granted rights of an administrator and Command Spells. While typically saints are summoned into it while managing wars related to the Holy Grail, others can be summoned into the class if they are impartial.
- Avenger: Servants placed within this class are driven by revenge.
- Alter Ego: Servants placed within this class are beings split away from the Saint Graph of another.
- MoonCancer: Servants placed in this class are described as irregulars that threaten the world of the moon.
- Foreigner: Servants placed within this class are related to the Outer Gods that exist outside the universe.
- Shielder: Servants placed within this class primarily utilize a shield.
- Saver: Servants placed within this class are "Messiah" type Servants.
- Gunner: Servants placed within this class specialize in firearms.
- Faker: Servants placed within this class are represented by fakes, summoning counterfeits and body doubles.
- Gatekeeper: Details of this class are unknown. Watcher could be summoned within as a Servant.
- Watcher: Servants placed within this class have some function of observing their Master for a greater purpose.
- Ancient Giant: Details of this class are unknown. It is shown to be the class of Surtr.
- Ancient God: Details of this class are unknown. It is the Saint Graph Designation of Zeus.
- Voyager: Details of this class are unknown. Voyager normally qualifies for this class.
- Funny Vamp: This is the class granted to Arcueid Brunestud by the Moon Cell should she participate as a Servant. While she takes on the Berserker class instead, Funny Vamp reflects her whimsical nature and her status as a creature that drains blood, physical energy and money from men.
- Non-classed: Some temporary Servants, like the army summoned into Ionioi Hetairoi, are Servants without a class. Gilgamesh during Fate/EXTRA CCC is beyond being confined to a class, so he does not have one.
- Grand Classes
- Grand Servants (Grand Class) are existences summoned by the Counter Force in order to prevent the extinction of mankind by the Beasts.
- Beast class is a special container for the Evils of Mankind, beings similar to Grand Servants.
- Altered classes
- Classes that are brought about by altering the system on a superficial level. The class of the Servant does not actually change.
- Launcher: Launcher, the "Heroic Spirit of the Laser Beam", is a special nickname thought up by Jinako Carigiri for her Servant.
- Parody Classes and others
- Boxer (ボクサー, Bokusā?) is a class designated to Bazett Fraga McRemitz in the parody work Capsule Servant.
- Butler (バトラー, Batorā?) is used in a joking manner in regard to Archer's household skills.
- Gorgeous (ゴージャス, Gōjasu?) is a nickname given to Gilgamesh by Lancer.
- Idol (アイドル, Aidoru?) is the self-declared nickname of Lancer.
- Manslayer (人斬り, Hitokiri?) is the self-declared nickname of Assassin.
- Monster (モンスター, Monsutā?) is not a Servant classification, but rather the title given to the irregular being, Shiki Ryougi, who appears within the Holy Grail War of the Moon Cell.
- Tiger (タイガー, Taigā?) is the name Taiga Fujimura gives herself in the Hanafuda scenario, but Illya just decides to turn it into "Taiga".
Fuyuki Holy Grail War
The events of the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars are detailed in several stories. Some details of the Third Holy Grail War are mentioned in Fate/hollow ataraxia. The events of the Fourth Holy Grail War are described in Fate/Zero. The events of the Fifth Holy Grail War are detailed in Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia.
Moon Cell Holy Grail War
Great Holy Grail War
|Red||Archer||Atalanta|| Rottweil Berzinsky|
|Red||Lancer||Karna|| Feend vor Sembren|
|Red||Rider||Achilles|| Cabik Pentel|
|Red||Berserker||Spartacus|| Deimlet Pentel|
Caster of Black
|Red||Ruler||Amakusa Shirou Tokisada||None|
|Black||Saber||Siegfried||Gordes Musik Yggdmillennia|
|Black||Archer||Chiron||Fiore Forvedge Yggdmillennia|
|Black||Lancer||Vlad III||Darnic Prestone Yggdmillennia|
|Black||Rider||Astolfo|| Celenike Icecolle Yggdmillennia|
|Black||Caster||Solomon ibn Gabirol||Roche Frain Yggdmillennia|
|Black||Assassin||Jack the Ripper||Sagara Hyouma|
|Black||Berserker||Frankenstein's monster||Caules Forvedge Yggdmillennia|
|None||Ruler||Joan of Arc||None (Greater Grail)|
Servants for the canceled Fate/Apocrypha game project.
Tokyo Holy Grail War
|War||Master||Master Degree||Servant Rank||Servant||Identity|
|1st||Manaka Sajyou||1st - Seraphim||1st||Saber||Arthur Pendragon|
|1st||Nigel Saward||2nd - Cherubim||4th||Lancer||Brynhildr|
|1st||Lord Reiroukan||3rd - Thrones||6th||Caster||Paracelsus|
|1st||Shizuri Isemi||4th - Dominion||5th||Rider||Ramesses II|
|1st||Elza Saijo||5th - Virtues||3rd||Archer||Arash|
|1st||Seiji Jinga||6th - Powers||7th||Assassin||Hassan-i-Sabbah|
|1st||Tatsumi Kitano||7th - Princes||2nd||Berserker||Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde|
|2nd||Manaka Sajyou||1st - Seraphim||Unknown||Beast||The Beast of Revelations|
|2nd||Misaya Reiroukan||2nd - Cherubim||4th||Lancer||Cu Chulainn|
|2nd||Aro Isemi||3rd - Thrones||5th||Rider||Perseus|
|2nd||Unknown||4th - Dominion||6th||Caster||Unknown|
|2nd||Unknown||5th - Virtues||3rd||Archer||Gilgamesh|
|2nd||Unknown||6th - Powers||7th||Assassin||Unknown|
|2nd||Ayaka Sajyou||7th - Princes||1st||Saber||Arthur Pendragon|
|2nd||Sancraid Phahn||8th - Void||2nd||Berserker||Heracles|
True and False Holy Grail War
|False Archer||Gilgamesh|| Unnamed magus (Original Master)|
|False Assassin||Former Hassan-i-Sabbah candidate||Jester Karture|
|False Berserker||Jack the Ripper||Flat Escardos|
|False Caster||Alexandre Dumas||Orlando Reeve|
|False Rider||Pale Rider||Tsubaki Kuruoka|
|Saber||Richard I|| Cashura (Original Master)|
|Avenger/True Archer||Alcides||Bazdilot Cordelion|
|True Assassin||Hassan-i-Sabbah||Faldeus Dioland|
|True Berserker||Huwawa||Haruri Borzak|
|True Caster||François Prelati||Francesca Prelati|
|True Rider||Hippolyta||Doris Lusendra|
"After" the Holy Grail War
|Saber||Galahad Alter||Koharu F Riedenflaus|
|Lancer||Lucius Longinus||Chitose Manazuru|
|Rider||Kundry||None (Stray Servant)|
|Unknown Class||Hendrik van der Decken||Ahasuerus|
|Unknown Class||Hannibal Barca||Unknown|
|Unknown Class||El Cid||Unknown|
|Unknown Class||Jacques de Molay||Unknown|
|Unknown Class||Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa||Unknown|
|Unknown Class||Cesare Borgia & Lucrezia Borgia||Unknown|
|Unknown Class||Minamoto no Yoshitsune||Unknown|
|Unknown Class||Edward Teach||Unknown|
Chaldea summoned three Servants in the present for their experiments.
|None||Galahad||Fused with Mash as a Demi-Servant|
|Caster||Leonardo da Vinci||Identical self-made doll|
- Singularity F
|All versions||Saber||King Arthur (Alter)|
|Fate/Grand Order||Lancer||Musashibou Benkei|
|First Order & Manga||Lancer||Medusa|
|First Order||Rider||Darius III|
|FGO ~turas réalta~||Rider||Boudica|
|All versions||Caster||Cú Chulainn|
|Fate/Grand Order & First Order||Assassin||Hassan-i-Sabbah (Cursed Arm)|
|FGO ~turas réalta~||Assassin||Hassan-i-Sabbah (Hundred Faces)|
- Wicked Dragon Hundred Years' War
Gilles de Rais manages to bring forth Joan of Arc Alter as a corrupted manifestation of Joan of Arc by using the Holy Grail. She then summons five more Servants, becoming their Master and giving them all the attribute of Berserker. While battling her, many Servants gather under the Protagonist and begin to refer to them as their Master.
- The Eternal Roman Empire
|Saber (Living Hero)||Nero Claudius Caesar||Roman Empire|
|Rider||Boudica||Nero Claudius Ceasar|
|Berserker||Spartacus||Nero Claudius Ceasar|
|Assassin||Jing Ke||Nero Claudius Ceasar|
|Berserker||Lu Bu||Nero Claudius Ceasar|
|Berserker||Caligula||United Roman Empire|
|Saber||Gaius Julius Caesar||United Roman Empire|
|Lancer||Leonidas||United Roman Empire|
|Caster||Zhuge Liang||United Roman Empire|
|Rider||Alexander the Great (Child)||United Roman Empire|
|Lancer||Romulus||United Roman Empire|
- Final Blockade to the Seven Seas
|Rider (Living Hero)||Francis Drake||Ritsuka Fujimaru|
|Archer||Orion & Artemis||Ritsuka Fujimaru|
|Berserker||Eric Bloodaxe||Edward Teach|
|Rider||Anne Bonny & Mary Read||Edward Teach|
Strange Tales of the Imperial Holy Grail
Ainsworth Holy Grail War
The events of the Ainsworth Holy Grail War are detailed in Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA. All Class Cards from the Fifth Holy Grail War remained until the Sixth Holy Grail War. The Assassin Class Card's Hassan-i-Sabbah changed between the two wars.
|War||Servant Card||Identity||Card User|
|5th||Archer||Gilgamesh||Angelica Ainsworth (Doll)|
|5th||Archer (Second)||EMIYA||Shirou Emiya|
|5th||Saber||King Arthur||Zachary Ainsworth (Doll)|
|5th||Lancer||Cú Chulainn||Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald (Doll)|
|5th||Rider||Medusa||Kariya Matou (Doll)|
|5th||Caster||Medea||Atrum Galliasta (Doll)|
|5th||Assassin||Hassan-i-Sabbah||Shinji Matou (Doll)|
|5th||Berserker||Heracles||Beatrice Flowerchild (Doll)|
|6th||Assassin||Hassan of the Hundred Faces||Illyasviel von Einzbern|
|6th||Assassin||Hassan of Serenity||Miyu Edelfelt|
|6th||Berserker||Lancelot||Sakura Matou (Doll)|
|6th||Apneic Beauty Class Card||Unknown||Darius Ainsworth|
|6th||Authoritarian Personalism Class Card||Unknown||Darius Ainsworth|
|6th||Unnamed Dagger Class Card||Unknown||Darius Ainsworth|
|6th||Ninth Prayer Class Card||Unknown||Darius Ainsworth|
|6th||Crown Undertaker Class Card||Unknown||Darius Ainsworth|
|None||Nameless Class Cards||None||Ainsworth Family|
Servant Parameter Listing
The Parameters for each Servant.
|Bounded Field • Conceptual Weapon • Gradation Air • Magic • (Second Magic • Third Magic • Fifth Magic) • Magical Spells • Marble Phantasm • Mystic Code • Mystic Eyes • Mystic Eyes of Death Perception • Psychic • Reality Marble|
|Daemon • Demon • Divine Spirit • Doll • Dragon • Familiar • Golem • Homunculus • Humans • Magician • Magus • Phantasmal Species • Spirits • Vampire|
|Holy Grail War|
|Command Spells • Great Grail • Heroic Spirit • Holy Grail • Master • Noble Phantasm • Parameter Rules • Servant • Servant classes • Skill|
|Church • Chaldea Security Organization • Demon Hunter Organization • Mage's Association • The Twenty-seven Dead Apostle Ancestors|
|Akasha • Chants and Incantations • Elements • World • Magic Circuit • Magical Energy • Soul • Magic Crest|
|Fate/stay night (anime • manga) • Fate/hollow ataraxia • Fate/Zero|
|Fate/Extra • Fate/Extra CCC • Fate/Extella • Fate/Extella Link • Fate/Extra CCC Fox Tail|
|Fate/Apocrypha • Fate/Grand Order • Fate/Grand Order Arcade • Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA • Fate/Labyrinth • Fate/school life • Fate/Prototype • Fate/Requiem • Fate/stay night Comic Battle • Fate/strange Fake • Fate/tiger colosseum • Fate/unlimited codes • Fate/Zero Next Encounter • Garden of Avalon • Lord El-Melloi II Case Files • Take Moon • Unlimited Blade Works film • Dominate Grail War|
|Admirable Great Tactics • Advantage • Age of Gods • Ahnenerbe • Bajiquan • Chaldea Security Organization • Church • Clan Calatin • Divine Construct • Divine Spirit • Dragon • Dragon Smoke • Fianna • Fuyuki City • Hassan-i-Sabbah • Heroic Spirit • Hero of Justice • Jack the Ripper • Japan's Three Great Monsters • Knights of the Red Branch • Knights of the Round Table • Magecraft • Magical Girl • Master • Night Wars of the British Empire • Noble Phantasm • Parameter Rules • Round Table • Saberface • Saint • Servant • Skill • Tamamo Nine • Twelve Paladins of Charlemagne|
|Holy Grail Wars|
| Fuyuki • Moon • True & False • Great HGW • Ainsworth • Tokyo • Imperial • "After" • Subcategory|
Grand Orders: Singularity F • Orleans Singularity • Septem Singularity • Okeanos Singularity • London Singularity • E Pluribus Unum Singularity • Camelot Singularity • Babylonia Singularity Salomon Singularity
Remnant Orders: Shinjuku Singularity