Centralized area to propose changes or general comments. Create a new header for each topic.
Is it possible to name a png with the same name of a picture that has already been uploaded as a jpg? I don't know how people do it with the stages. Everytime I try to upload a fgo stage pic with a translucent background without replacing the jpg with the official background art, the wiki tells me I can't repeat the name, despite both files having different types.GuessWhoYoutube (talk) 12:11, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
- There should be an option you can click that says something like "save anyway" if that's the case, I know I've done it a few times. -- Banksia (talk) 14:59, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
I'm in the long, slow process of updating image names into something that's actually searchable. Mainly I want some consistency between filenames, especially with all the FGO art. Some notes for anyone who wants to help:
- Search uses both file name and summary, however it has trouble with no spacing and wildcards (*) DO NOT WORK
- Keep common acronyms where possible -- can possibly discuss what these are but they're generally self-evident
- The wiki seems to have trouble displaying files that have diacritics/accents in the filename so it's best to avoid them.
- Hoping to use a "(Class) (Name) (Card/Portrait/Illust)" formatting for FGO art -- going to add to this point in a bit, just a tad busy atm
If possible, we should start putting some descriptions in image files (or at least the important ones), similar to what's being done with Craft Essences files. Just basic stuff, doesn't need to be long descriptions (although I guess people can do that too). It'll help with search results as well. -- Banksia (talk) 03:07, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
Still proposing we either split up the List of minor characters article into different canons or break them up into their own character articles. The page is too long. -- Banksia (talk) 02:55, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
I noticed there are some old Hepburn romanization redirects, but do we really need those? I don't know that typing them on the fly is particularly easy - I always need to look them up, but that may just be me. -- Banksia (talk) 02:55, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
Renaming articles for consistency
I noted down that some Servant articles need to be renamed to be consistent among Fate off-shoots e.g. the Fate/Prototype and Fate/EXTRA Servants are largely tagged as only "Prototype" and "EXTRA", so it needs applying to others like Grand Order and EXTELLA Servants. -- Banksia (talk) 02:55, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
- I noticed that too, but I prefer the original. I think "Gilgamesh (Fate/EXTRA CCC)" is better than "Gilgamesh (EXTRA CCC)" or "Gilgamesh (CCC)."GuessWhoYoutube (talk)
I would like to now when do alternate versions of one characters get their own article, their Alternate Forms section, or nothing at all. It's a bit confusing since there isn't a clear criteria to follow. In my opnion that is. Swimsuits and Alters are easy, but when characters morph throughout the story I can't tell what's the correct choice. I haven't read LB6, but wasn't Oberon for example his own character at some point? Shouldn't he have his own article separate from Oberon Vortigern? Or at least have a section in List of characters. Similarly, I think Light Koyanskaya should be split from Tamamo Vitch (Alter Ego/Beast). I don't understand why when a servant appears in another class with a different set of abilities they get their own article, but Konyanskaya doesn't. And well, maybe the Heroic Spirit Swordmasters should get their own article too just like other modified servants (Megalos comes to mind). I think that's all.GuessWhoYoutube (talk) 20:31, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
- Oberon was always Vortigern. He was always a Pretender moving things for his own machinations. Koyan, currently waiting for 6.5 to happen before we restructure anything. Koyan Light is currently portrayed as the same continuous personality with no actual change beyond her class and name. If anything will be split out, it'd probably be the Beast version if that happens. If she doesn't become a Beast but splits into Light and Dark, then we'd probably make two pages based around the two versions. The Swordmasters are basically Alters for all intents and purposes, so I've been contemplating splitting them out. With the Shimousa manga providing a bit more of a visual difference for some of them, that makes it a little bit easier to justify. EGGS (talk) 21:21, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
- I'm personally not a fan of the Chaos Tide versions getting their own articles. I know they're Alters, but Benkei especially only appears for a few scenes in one event. -- Banksia (talk) 02:54, 11 September 2021 (UTC)
The navboxes pretty much all need an overhaul, splitting up by canon and so on. I noted down the ones used by the Final Fantasy wiki as examples for myself.
More than that though, there's apparently a way to format them so that you can make a bullet list and it'll format the • instead of us having to do it manually, which would be super helpful for the really long navboxes like Noble Phantasms and what'll eventually be the FGO navbox. Been meaning to look into it but have been swamped with other things. -- Banksia (talk) 02:55, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
Template:Episode needs updating to be more in line with what's used at Wikipedia.
- Long term, would it be beneficial to go for episode/chapter lists or go for individual episode and chapter (or volume) articles? That'd probably dictate how those are designed. I merged the individual episodes way back, but there were only two shows at the time. With many more pieces of media, many completely original, revisiting individual articles might be better. EGGS (talk) 03:48, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
- At least for television shows, I know that the long serials will generally have a table with episodes per season, sometimes with a short summary, and sometimes linking to an article for the episode itself. I think a lot of wikis do that with manga too. I think it should be doable like that? -- Banksia (talk) 04:05, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
- I like the tabs, but I think some people add too much text for no reason. Like, if Kama only appears in FGO, why does her tab have the class icon along with "fgo (kama)"? Wouldn't the class icon and the name be enough to fulfill the purpose of the tab?GuessWhoYoutube (talk)
- We could consolidate any bloated ones at the very least. For Artoria, the unnecessary/secondary ones could be relegated to the disambig page. Or have the final tab of the main one be "other characters," which then links to a secondary set of tabs for the minor parody characters. More disambig pages regardless wouldn't hurt though. EGGS (talk) 01:31, 13 September 2021 (UTC)
Mobile edits insert junk for some reason. The infamous "div-class" or however it's called. How is it that just typing in your phone automatically copy-pastes all the text multiple times? Is it just me? Could it be fixed? -- GuessWhoYoutube (talk)
- This might be something we need to tag an actual wiki staff member about. -- Banksia (talk) 02:54, 11 September 2021 (UTC)
I think it's time we replaced any instances of "thaumaturgy" with "magecraft" because I don't know that any localisations have actually used it, or at the very least, I haven't seen it in FGO. -- Banksia (talk) 03:15, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah, is kind of a weird hodgepodge currently. High thaumaturgy 大魔術 is probably the most common usage of it. Greater magecraft? Probably the best sounding. EGGS (talk) 03:38, 9 September 2021 (UTC)