- This page is about a Fate/stay night route. For other uses, see Unlimited Blade Works.
Unlimited Blade Works is one of the routes in Fate/stay night.
The heroine and love interest of this route is Rin Tohsaka. And her servant Archer is the servant protagonist of the route. The player must complete the Fate scenario before being able to enter Unlimited Blade Works. Completing this route is required to access the final route: Heaven's Feel. Although it is possible to enter the Unlimited Blade Works route without having finished the Fate route by declining Tohsaka's offer of cooperation, entering the route this way leads to an unavoidable bad end.
The route places the greatest emphasis on character development and themes compared to the other routes, particularly its main cast, and its main theme is "struggling with oneself as an ideal".
Shortly after repelling Lancer, Saber prepares to attack Archer and Rin. However, Shirou recognizes Rin and uses his Command Spell to stop Saber before she injured Archer. Rin guides Shirou to the church where the priest Kirei Kotomine explains the Holy Grail War.
As they leave, Illyasviel von Einzbern attacks them with her Servant Berserker on their way home. Unlike in the Fate route, Archer briefly participates in the battle and his help proves vital in driving Berserker away. Saber is not heavily injured. Shirou passes out and Rin takes him back to his home. She tells him the next morning that they are enemies. The next day, Shirou goes to school with Saber, introducing her to Taiga Fujimura and Sakura Matou.
The next day, after the other students and teachers leave school, Rin attacks Shirou with Gandr shots. She pursues him through the school and eventually corners him, demanding that he surrender his Command Spells. They are interrupted when the Servant Rider attacks a student. Shirou and Rin promptly team up to drive Rider away. Shirou catches a brief glimpse of Shinji Matou and wonders if he is Rider's Master.
Shirou and Rin form a truce and begin searching for possible candidates for Rider's Master. That night, the Servant Caster mind controls Shirou and makes him go to the Ryuudou Temple, intending to take away his Command Spell. Saber pursues but is obstructed by Assassin. Archer intervenes and defeats Caster, who withdraws. Shirou and Archer get into a quarrel over Shirou's ideals, and Archer attacks him but is stopped by Saber and Assassin.
After that, Rin begins to have dreams about a hero who was betrayed by his ideals. Rin apologizes to Shirou for Archer's actions and tells him that she used a Command Spell to order Archer to never attack Shirou. During their strategy planning at school, Rider activates Blood Fort Andromeda. However, when Shirou and Rin approach her, they find her already dead. A terrified Shinji runs off to the Kotomine Church, where Kirei grants him the use of Gilgamesh. In the meantime, Archer and Saber debate over how Rider was killed; while Saber claims she died in honor protecting her Master, Archer claims she was a weakling, once again creating a rift between him and the others.
Rider's death makes Shirou suspect that there is another Master in the school, one other than Shinji. He suspects his friend Issei Ryuudou at first, but it turns out that the Master is their teacher Souichirou Kuzuki, who controls Caster. When Shirou and Rin ambush them, Kuzuki surprises them with his innate fighting abilities, enhanced by Caster's enchantment spells, which are able to cripple Saber. Rin and Shirou fend Kuzuki off long enough for Saber to recover, and Kuzuki and Caster withdraw.
In order to make it easier to plan and strategize, Rin comes to stay at Shirou's house.
The next day, Rin takes Shirou on a date, bringing Saber along. On returning home, they find Caster holding Taiga hostage, demanding that Shirou and Saber surrender to her. After a tense but brief negotiation that ends in violence, Caster releases Taiga and strikes Saber with Rule Breaker, breaking her contract with Shirou. At Saber's urging, Shirou and Rin flee.
With Shirou's Command Spells gone, Rin declares that she will fight Kuzuki and Caster with only Archer. However, Shirou insists on helping and follows them despite Rin's objections. Meanwhile, Caster tortures Saber in an effort to break her and make her submit completely. However, Saber's magic resistance proves to be an obstacle for Caster's Command Spell.
Shirou follows Rin and witnesses her confronting Kuzuki and Caster in the Kotomine Church, their new base of operation. To her shock, Archer suddenly betrays Rin and attacks her. Shirou saves her and confesses his feelings for her, and although she is reluctant and embarrassed, she eventually thanks him and accepts his help again.
With Archer gone, both decide to ask Illya and Berserker for their help. Unfortunately, they arrive too late and find Shinji and Gilgamesh have gotten there first. Gilgamesh makes short work of Berserker, then rips Illya's heart out. Both of them then leave the castle, leaving Shirou and Rin in despair until Lancer suddenly emerges and offers his help, which they accept.
They return to the Kotomine Church, where Lancer fights Archer again. Archer admits defeat and retreats into the church. Meanwhile, Shirou and Rin team up to fight Kuzuki and Caster, ending in a stalemate. Caster tries to turn the tables and use a spell to completely dominate Saber and send her against Shirou and Rin. But before she can, Archer arrives and attacks Kuzuki. Caster dies protecting Kuzuki, who Archer then kills. He reveals that he was only faking his loyalty to Caster in order to eliminate her, as well as use her Rule Breaker to remove his contract with Rin and allow him to do what he has planned since the beginning – kill Shirou. Archer defeats Saber easily and is about to kill Shirou when Rin makes a new contract with Saber, restoring her powers. Archer then kidnaps Rin and takes her hostage to the Einzbern Castle, where Shinji attempts to sexually abuse her.
The next day, Shirou, Saber and Lancer head to the Einzbern Castle, whereupon Archer reveals that he is an alternate future Emiya Shirou, the hero who is betrayed by the ideals he fought for, and now seeks to escape his fate as a heroic spirit by killing his past self. He considers this an act of mercy, not wanting Shirou to see his ideals betray and crush him like the way they crushed Archer. While Shirou fights, Lancer goes to rescue Rin. Kirei suddenly appears and orders Lancer to kill her. Lancer refuses, and Kirei instead uses his Command Spell to make Lancer stab himself. Rin is about to submit to her fate as Kirei approaches to kill her, when suddenly Lancer stabs Kirei in the back. Shinji, now believing he is free to do whatever he likes to Rin, is also stabbed and driven off. After setting Rin free, Lancer activates his Ansuz rune, burning the room as he dies.
Shirou faces off with Archer, finally convincing Archer that he is not taking the wrong path as he has no regrets about his decision, no matter what repercussions it may have in the future. With that, Archer is defeated. Gilgamesh then appears, attempting to kill Shirou because of his nature as a "Faker", but Archer pushes Shirou out of the path of Gilgamesh's attack, seemingly sacrificing himself. The battle breaks up when the fire started by Lancer engulfs the whole castle and destroys it. Gilgamesh catches up with Shinji and inserts Illya's heart into his body, making him the new incarnation of the Holy Grail.
That night, Rin forms a bond with Shirou to give him mana, so that he can use his Reality Marble to battle Gilgamesh. Shirou, Rin and Saber reach Gilgamesh's new base, the Ryuudou Temple. Rin tries to pull Shinji out of the Holy Grail's bloated body while Shirou fights Gilgamesh and Saber overcomes Assassin. Shirou is able to best Gilgamesh by using his own version of Unlimited Blade Works. Gilgamesh disappears into the Grail's void, but manages to grapple Shirou with chains and tries to climb out of the Grail. Archer appears one last time, using his powers to help Rin escape the Grail's body and finishing off Gilgamesh with an arrow to the head. Saber destroys the Grail with Excalibur.
Rin bids her Servant farewell. Archer asks her to take care of his younger self, hoping that her care of Shirou will change the future and grant his wish to save Shirou from his ideals. In the end, Rin finally sees Archer with a genuine smile, the same one as Shirou's.
It is noted that, in this route, Shirou and Rin develop feelings for each other as they grow closer as friends. This scenario also highlights Rin's tsundere qualities. Also, Rin is the Winner of the 5th Grail War.
Resolutions: Two endings are available for this scenario.
- The "Good" ending depicts an epilogue in which Rin, Shirou, and Saber live together at the Emiya household.
- The "True" ending shows Rin planning to head off to the Clock Tower after she graduates, with Shirou joining her as her apprentice. They are also officially in a romantic relationship in this ending. In the True Ending, Saber vanishes after destroying the Holy Grail, but she departs on a happy note.
- Third Death: On Day 3, if Shirou decides to do what Rin said, Shirou will run away from the battle and return home. After his Command Seal fades away and realizes that Saber died, Shirou tries to go back from the battle but gets stabbed in the heart unknowingly by Lancer.
- Texture: On Day 5, if Shirou decides to jump to the stairs, Shirou runs for his life but unfortunately gets hit with a Gandr shot and gets infected with a cold, making him unable to run away. Rin places her fingers on Shirou's neck and the screen fades out. The next day, Shirou wakes up not having any recollection on what happened yesterday or anything related to Saber, the Holy Grail War or Rin. This ending will happen if you haven't completed the Fate route, and can also happen in the Fate Route if Shirou decides to decline Rin's proposal on Day 4.
- Spider's Captive: On Day 5, if Shirou decides to use a Command Spell, his left arm below the elbow gets cut off by Rider for trying to use it.
- Hypnos: On Day 8, if Shirou decides to ask Issei about the unfamiliar woman in the Ryuudou Temple, Caster's implanted spell takes over Issei's mind. He slashes Shirou's stomach and stabs his own neck with a knife.
- Killer: On Day 9, if Shirou decides to help Saber, he charges at Kuzuki and swings his wooden sword at him to pass through him. But Kuzuki breaks the sword with a punch and blows off Shirou's left foot with the returning blow. Kuzuki kills Rin and then Shirou with his fists.
- Hazy: On Day 11, if Shirou decides to obey Caster's proposal of joining together, he gets controlled by Caster and eventually killed by Rin after obtaining the Holy Grail.
- Artificial Noble Phantasm: On Day 12, if Shirou decides to go to the church for advice, Caster disables him and turns him into a wand for projection magic.
- Sword and magic: On Day 12, if Shirou decides to appear before Caster and Kuzuki before Archer betrays Rin, Kuzuki uses a Command Spell to take control of the captured Saber's will in order to even the odds. As both Caster and Saber attack, Archer knows he cannot protect his Master, not even bothering to tell her to run. With no way to counter-attack, the screen fades out.
- One Conclusion: On Day 13, if Shirou decides not saving Illya or declines Lancer's help, he will die in the battle against Archer at the church.
- Heavens Fall: On Day 16, if Shirou decides to take Gilgamesh with him, they are both sucked into and melted by the Holy Grail.
Anime original scenesEdit
- Episode 15
- The start of Gilgamesh fighting Berserker is shown. Gilgamesh tests out the limits of God Hand, recognizing that he has to use his greatest treasures to damage Berserker. He tells Berserker to stop protecting Illya and fight him directly to have any chance of winning.
- Illya's past is shown, haunted by a mental specter of Irisviel telling her of Kiritsugu's "misdeeds" and goading her to kill Shirou. She sees similar illusions in a homunculus disposal area, the homunculi describing their purpose and telling her that the family will give up completely should she fail. She later meets Leysritt and Sella for the first time, and they show her Berserker.
- Gilgamesh seemingly finishes off Berserker while he is chained by Enkidu, but Berserker breaks free after Illya has passed and makes one final charge at a surprised Gilgamesh.
- Episode 23
- The wishes of humanity are shown to be converging and strengthening the Grail.
- Gilgamesh explains to Shirou that going all out against him would mean it would be his own loss due to his pride.
- Gilgamesh uses Ea against a giant arm manifested from the Grail.
- Episode 24
- The Lesser Grail begins to manifest as a humanoid Avenger. Rin uses a Command Spell to force Saber to destroy the Grail before Archer saves her and Shinji. Saber resists until they are safe, and Rin uses a third Command Spell to give Saber more magical energy.
- Gilgamesh does not immediately draw Ea when he says that he needs to get serious after Shirou triumphs in their melee confrontation, instead pushing him back and attacking him with the full might of the Gate of Babylon. Shirou successfully manages to deflect every sword launched at him, even using Rho Aias to block an all-out attack from every direction, before closing the distance and chopping off Gilgamesh's arm right after he grabs Ea.
- Shirou manages to land a final blow on Gilgamesh and runs out of magical energy naturally. Gilgamesh admits that Shirou was victorious in their battle due to having forced him to become serious, and prepares to finish off Shirou before the Grail swallows him.
- Episode 25
- Shirou and Rin shown to be studying at the Clock Tower. Rin and Luviagelita Edelfelt briefly scuffle in a self-defense class after Luvia flirted with Shirou.
- Shirou and Rin go to Glastonbury to visit the grave of Saber so that Shirou can give her a proper goodbye.
- Shirou is offered to be officially accepted into the Clock Tower, but has differing thoughts about his path as an ally of justice. He turns down the offer, briefly meeting Lord El-Melloi II, who says Shirou's dream is idiotic, but honorable. Rin decides to follow him in his travels though she remain affiliated with the Clock Tower.
- At the very end, an adult Shirou is shown traveling the desert that Archer visited in his past after contracting with the world.
|Fate • Unlimited Blade Works • Heaven's Feel|
Arcueid • Ciel
Akiha • Hisui • Kohaku