While referring to themselves collectively as "Valkyrie", the three who appear through the Ascension function are Valkyrie Thrúd (ワルキューレ・スルーズ, Warukyūre Surūzu?), Valkyrie Hildr (ワルキューレ・ヒルド, Warukyūre Hirudo?), and Valkyrie Ortlinde (ワルキューレ・オルトリンデ, Warukyūre Orutorinde?).
Daughters of the Great God. Many of them were created by the highest existence in Nordic mythology, the Great God Odin. Dancing in the sky of countless battlefields, only those with courageous souls who lost their lives in battle were qualified to be taken to the golden Valhalla, the Palace of the Great God. The end of the Nordic era─── In the twilight of the gods, they were added to the ranks of the Great God's army to slaughter the Jötnar.
They all exist as maidens of the Great God Odin, but they are all individually Valkyries. As their existence is close to being a divine spirit (demigod), they possess a high ranking Divinity skill.
In the twilight of the gods, the Valkyries were numerous beings created by the Great God Odin for Ragnarök. As such, they behave and operate as some kind of automated machine. Dancing in the skies of the battlefield on a heavenly horse, only the valorous souls were chosen to be brought back from the dead to Valhalla. However, their turning point was the moment their eldest sister Brynhildr met with the hero Sigurd. They fell deeply in love with each other. And there, the number of Valkyries gradually declined.
In the dawn of Ragnarök, the climactic war of the gods and the Jötnar, reports were already submitted to the Lord of the Clock Tower's Curse Department in the mid-1980s, noting it was "half of its original". Although temporary, it became a hot topic in the magical world.
The individuals confirmed by the Chaldea Summoning System and the following Saint Graph Ascensions are the above three maidens. They are predicted to be individuals connected to the Star (or to the future). Because the true nature of their mana strength is almost equivalent to one another, all three of them share the same true name "Valkyrie". Truthfully, their true names should be Þrúðr, Hildr, and Ortlinde to be exact, but they firmly refused to be treated as "separate individuals".
"There is no essential difference in us Valkyries." "That's right, we are all the same, as if we are rooted in everything." "Yeah. But elder sister Brynhildr is strange..."
She (they) talk like this. So, why were they summoned into a unique Saint Graph?
Perhaps it was the encounter and parting in the Scandinavian Lostbelt that became the bonds for their Master. It should be noted that the girls summoned as Servants this time are the Heroic Spirits from the common history of men, thus they are different invididuals from the ones the Master met in the Scandinavian Lostbelt───"a completely different person" as it would be said. Only one group of the Shadow Border remembers the war maidens of the Scandinavian Lostbelt.
War maidens dressed in armor and carry their Divine Iron Shield.
They excel in insight, they hold onto their precious valor closely and know what they’re fighting for. Their appearance is very chivalrous but sometimes, they can also put a gentle smile towards outstanding heroes. On the other hand, they lack self-awareness of their ego. But that doesn’t mean that they can’t feel any emotions, they’re just a bit out of sync in comparison with humans on Earth. They mainly stare blankly at the never changing scene either in a fight or battlefield because they have little personal experience themselves and that they mostly earn it as information. (If they don’t understand, they’ll try to slowly understand it.) Their existence is sort of like an automated machine since they were produced by the Almighty God Odin. For example, their personality and body largely deviate from being an「ordinary as a Valkyrie」as they change ・alternate from a 「Valkyrie」as a whole and into a more characteristic personality so that they can fall in love, dislike violence and bear strong feelings. In the end, they’ve changed into an organism that’s roughly the same as a human which was their downfall from a demigod (The person to deviate first was Brynhildr). In the present as Servants, they try to scout as half-machine towards people who are considered heroes which is fundamental for them to 「guiding heroes to Valhalla」as it comes from the orders of the Almighty God.
In their spare time, they have taken up playing video games; apparently, they believe that playing dating simulators will give them a better understanding of human emotions and love. Despite their unwillingness to be treated as individual entities, they seem to be in the process of developing individual personalities. Ortlinde is the least openly emotional of the three, Hildr is the most humanlike, and Þrúðr is the most restrained due to her attempts at suppressing her growing emotional awareness.
Götterdämmerung: The Eternal Ice-Flame Century
- Main article: Valkyrie (Lostbelt)
Being a true valkyrie, Thrúd's strength is on par with "Sigurd"'s, and she claims that she wouldn't hesitate to destroy him, demonic sword and all, should Scáthach-Skaði give her a single command. Although she explains that it may be difficult to do so alone, she explains that their chances of success would greatly improve with all three of them. Although its difficult to gauge Thrúd's Magical Energy insdie Skadi's castle, there's no doubt in Mash's mind that she's much more powerful than the envoys. As such, despite Mash and Napoleon destroying multiple envoys, Thrúd considers that there's no need for her or any of the other three surviving Valkyries to involve in combat agaisnt such a lowly foe.
Each of the valkyries possesses a Divine Iron shield, which was forged by Odin himself during the Age of Gods. With it, Thrúd blocks Napoeleon's ranged attacks. Despite them being very powerful, they prove insufficient to destroy her shield. The Noble Phantasm Gungnir: Declaration of the Great God (False) is used as a throwable weapon and a proximity weapon.
The Valkyrie that is present in this form is a unique existence as a Servant. Specifically, they have a very unusual Saint Graph. Although mana capacity may increase with the Master's potential, like other Servants, there is no such thing as "changing to a more powerful form after Saint Graph Ascension". For Valkyrie's case, there is an upper limit of power for each individual. In accordance to the Chaldea Summoning System, when Valkyrie performs a Saint Graph Ascension, there's a high probability the current Valkyrie disappears, and "another Valkyrie more suitable for redefined mana capacity" will be resummoned in their place. All three of them manifest simultaneously when not in battle, but this does not appear to be intentional on their part and causes them some concern that they might be depleting their Master's magical energy more than is necessary for their materialization.
- Magic Resistance (B Rank): Spells with less than three verses are nullified. Even greater magecraft or ritual curses would cause next to no damage to her.
- Divinity (A Rank): They possess an aptitude as a Divine Spirit. Valkyrie are the daughters of the Almighty God Odin and their existence can even be called as Demigods; they possess an extremely high aptitude as a Divine Spirit. Though Brynhildr, Thrúd, Hildr and Ortlinde are all demigods, Brynhildr's Divine Core is much closer to that of a true goddess. This is because she was the first one and thus the closest to the gods; the ultimate valkyrie.
- Primordial Rune (— Rank): They possess Runes, a Norse Magic Crest. It differs from those used by modern mages; it’s unique as it conceals astounding power because it was from by the Almighty God. While this skill is Lancer’s skill, Valkyrie uses the mana of various combat supporters. While it might be possible to use offensive magecraft with it, they don’t use it very much because they think that the merit of combat isn’t with magecraft but with flesh and armaments.
- Swan Mystic Code (A Rank): They were rewarded with swan-white clothes from the Great God Odin. (This was originally a Noble Phantasm but it was turned into a skill in Fate/Grand Order) Once it is activated, the Valkyries are able to engage their light spear's comabt function.
- Fate Weaver (B Rank): As per the 「Njals Saga」, the Valkyries are occasionally depicted weaving with terrifying looms. The girls determined the victory or defeat of the battlefield by ripping up weaved cloth.
Despite the three Valkyries working together and using their Gungnir's against Brynhildr, they are bastly outmatched in performance, output and equipment. There's so much difference between them, that Brynhildr ended up killing Thrúd and Hildr with a single strike while Ortlinde retreated.
- Fate/Grand Order - Valkyrie, Profile
- Fate/Grand Order material VII - Valkyrie, Profile translated by Smoof101
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century, Section 6: Castle of Snow and Ice (End)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century, Section 5: Castle of Snow and Ice (Beginning)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century, Section 10: Like the Spring Sunshine (Middle)
- Fate/Grand Order: Cosmos in the Lostbelt - Götterdämmerung: Eternal Ice-Flame Century, Section 11: Like the Spring Sunshine (End)