Watcher (ウォッチャー, Wocchā?), True Name unknown, is a Watcher-class Servant summoned by Sigma in the True and False Holy Grail Wars of Fate/strange Fake. Although summoned in the place of True Lancer, the shadows of Watcher claim Sigma himself will become True Lancer.
Watcher's True Name is unknown, hidden as ○○○·○○○○, or ○○○○○○○ (○○○·○○○○, あるいは○○○○○○○?). Although described as a Heroic Spirit, she is said to be an abnormal phenomenon that would be hard to call a hero, god, or demon. Upon her summoning, Enkidu senses an "abnormality" with their Presence Detection skill and wonders if they have "angered them a little," but does not believe it has anything to do with a Heroic Spirit being summoned.
The actual Servant has yet to appear to Sigma, but the manga adaptation reveals her to be a large flying whale-like creature.
Watcher's personality is currently unknown, as she has yet to reveal itself to Sigma.
The shadows often speak of regret and hatred.
Sigma summons his Servant without a catalyst at the behest of Francesca. Upon the summoning being completed, he is greeted by Watcher's shadows, confused by their appearance. They mention that he is unlucky in having summoned them, but that they have high hopes that he'll become True Lancer after he passes several trials. Watcher himself doesn't show himself or speak to Sigma, instead observing the Grail War and transferring the information he receives to the shadows. The parties of the war are unable to notice Watcher, except for False Lancer, who can sense a presence similar to certain beings in their own era, and False Caster, who can sense someone watching him.
False Assassin approaches Sigma and the shadows warn him his first trial has begun. He asks Watcher to assist him, but the shadows remind him that they cannot touch anything. False Assassin assumes he is talking to himself, but realizes he is a Master and attacks. Having observed her in battle, the shadows are able to warn Sigma about her Noble Phantasm, Zabaniya: Phantasmal Pedigree. Thanks to the warnings, Sigma is able to dodge each attack and escape. As he is running, he comes across Ayaka Sajyou. The shadows tell him she is an innocent dragged into the war, so he attempts to take her to safety. False Assassin and Saber arrive. The shadows explain that Ayaka is Saber's Master and that Saber is Richard the Lionheart. Mysteriously, the shadows imply that Sigma would be able to take Saber on in a fair fight.
Because of Sigma attempting to protect Ayaka, Saber and False Assassin invite Sigma to join their alliance. Due to the fact that nobody can see the shadows of Watcher, Sigma claims that he has summoned Lancer Charlie Chaplin to both Saber's alliance and Faldeus Dioland, one of the people behind the war, who is keeping in contact with Sigma, and that Chaplin chooses to remain concealed for now. Later, Sigma has a chat with False Assassin over the nature of their faith. When she wishes him well and leaves, he stares at her, causing the shadows to tease him and ask if he is smitten, which he denies.
Watcher continues to supply Sigma with much information throughout the War, telling him about the battle between True Archer and True Berserker, the spies in the other sides of the War, as well as the upcoming battle for the safety of Tsubaki Kuruoka, the young comatose Master of False Rider.
As Sigma and False Assassin observe Saber's battle with False Archer, the shadows tell Sigma that False Archer's true name is Gilgamesh. When Sigma admits he doesn't want to help save Tsubaki because it doesn't benefit them and that he's jealous because he was not saved when he was a child, the shadows scold him for his immaturity. Sigma changes his mind and says he'll help False Assassin rescue Tsubaki, and that afterwards, he'll tell True Archer that she is not in the hospital so that he'll hopefully not attack it. The shadows ask him what changed his mind about not wanting to help when there is no benefit, and he is unable to answer. When they enter the hospital, Jester Karture attacks them. The shadows identify him to Sigma and warn him his second trial has begun.
During Sigma and False Assassin's battle with Jester, the shadows feed Jester's personal information to Sigma. Sigma recites this information, unnerving Jester and making him demand to know how Sigma knows, which Sigma doesn't answer.
Sigma, False Assassin, and several others have been sent into Tsubaki's dream world by False Rider. Sigma realizes he can no longer see the shadows nor hear their voice. False Assassin suggests calling his Servant to his side with a Command Spell. Sigma considers it, but decides not to as he has no idea what would happen.
During the True and False Holy Grail Wars, Francesca Prelati orchestrated the summoning of "True Lancer" without using a Catalyst, so that the city of Snowfield itself would choose the Heroic Spirit, hoping that maybe a Servant of the Ruler class would be summoned instead. Still, even without a catalyst, Francesca states that it would probably just end up being a hero with a similar nature to the summoner. That's why she tasked Sigma, who has no wish or goals in life, with the summoning. Because he is basically 'Soldier A’; there is nothing heroic about him, and thus, he would be able to work as a blank slate. All these circumstances resulted in ○○○·○○○○ being summoned as a Watcher-class Servant. Under the Fuyuki Holy Grail War system, an Extra Class never replaces one of the Three Knights. Going by the remaining phases, the Servant meant to fight in the False Holy Grail War must be Lancer. Only Sigma, not ○○○·○○○○, will be that Lancer. What he called forth is a lookout, and an obstacle he must overcome to become Lancer while living. Watcher's Shadows claim that if manifested as a proper Extra Class, although it’s odd to talk about an Extra Class being ‘proper’, she would probably manifest as Gatekeeper.
Although Watcher's Shadows refer to her as a Heroic Spirit, she is said to be an especially abnormal "phenomenon" that can hardly be expressed as the sort of heroes, gods, and Demons. Jiao states that "In the sky is . . . oh, an incarnation of the ‘Watcher,’ who is an ancestor, stranger, and dependent to me."
- Watcher (B Rank): A Skill "that represents the Watcher class' special contract status towards the Master." For Watcher specifically, she communicates with the Master through various figures referred to as Shadows.
- ○○○○○○○'s Trials (B Rank): A variation of an "Anti-Humanity Skill." It allows her to alter the Luck stat of life born from her womb to give them trials. This ability is not almighty enough to manipulate destiny, and it is meant to be mainly used on the Master with which she is contracted. This skill leaves the Master with a high probability of dying.
- Universal Bird's-Eye (B Rank): The ability to comprehend events taking place in the set area where Watcher was summoned. At rank B, Watcher can perceive what takes place in the city, but that is limited to things that can be perceived with sight, hearing or sensing Magical Energy. The exact radius is unknown, but there are some areas in Snowfield outside of her range. Although the name "Watcher" comes from her role of always looking down from a height, even she isn't omnipotent. Reading people's minds falls out of her capabilities. Similarly, she can't perceive things that have taken place elsewhere, be it in another place where Watcher wasn't present or the past before she was summoned. This information is shared with the shadows, allowing them to notify the Master of what Watcher observes. While she can use the knowledge to predict certain actions, form ideas as to how individuals will act, and deduce patterns from basic personality traits, she knows nothing of what she has not directly observed, and she cannot read minds. She can observe entire groups and point out exact numbers, individual flaws like traitors within the group, and their entire scope of activity. She cannot grasp the intentions of those who act wordlessly and dispassionately without them first taking observable action. If the individual is like Ishtar, they can completely isolate their presence from observation even to the point where Watcher cannot even make a guess. Upon her summoning, she notices the various irregularities of the Holy Grail Wars, including that Heracles was transmuted into the Avenger Alcides and other unnatural existences being drawn into the city. She can observe and relay even Servant True Names and Noble Phantasms should she observe them.
- Dweller of Another Phase (A Rank): A skill that indicates invincibility except under certain specific conditions. While Watcher's form is shown to the reader, she is depicted as translucent and not actually visible to anyone, including her Master. Watcher contradicts the current state of the World and therefore can never manifest with a body like other Servants. Normally, she cannot be directly felt or sensed by others, however, Enkidu, who possesses the highest class of the Presence Detection skill, was able to sense a certain “abnormality” when Watcher was summoned. They did not, however, think that it might be due to the summoning of a Heroic Spirit. They narrowed their eyes slightly, and cast them apologetically down at the ground. “I wonder... if I’ve angered them a little.” Jiao has also been able to sense Watcher's presence, and seems to have a deeper understanding of her true nature. While she does not appear to Sigma, he can feel the connection through Magical Energy to Watcher. He states that she does not seem to be draining his magical energy. Conversely, Watcher is able to manifest only a portion of her body for less than 0.00001 seconds only at the moment that the conditions are met and she is destroyed.
- Unknown (??? Rank): Watcher has a fifth Personal Skill. Its True Name and capabilities remain unknown.
The Shadows (影法師?) are beings with which only the Master of Watcher can hear and interact. Due to Watcher's influence, they appear directly in the summoner's brain to interact. They can interact with Sigma in some sense, allowing him to feel one put a hand on his shoulder. He describes the shadows as being like Heroic Spirits, two of them claiming to be able to appear as proper Heroic Spirits under other circumstances, but they are not Heroic Spirits in their current state as Watcher's shadows. Due to not being Heroic Spirits, their appearance and personalities may be different than their Heroic Spirit forms. Sigma cannot read their statuses like a Master would be able to view those of Servants. They cannot use any Noble Phantasms, and lack anything that can be called a weapon, not a blade or even a chopstick.
They each appear one at a time to speak in turn, displaying distinctive appearances and personalities. They guide Sigma for unexplained reasons related to his supposed destiny to become Lancer, mentioning Watcher's trials frequently. They will generally not act on their own until asked, unless there is an impending danger of which they wish to warn Sigma. While they may be vague and deliberately withhold information, they do not lie to Sigma. They are granted knowledge of the Holy Grail War and the modern world through both Watcher and the Grail much like the Servants.
- Winged boy
- Asclepius (Child)
- Man (Watcher's Shadow)
- Samurai (Watcher's Shadow)
 Fate/strange Fake - Volume 6 - Servant status: Watcher[T]
True Name: ___ ____, or _______
Sex: Supposedly female, but her current Master (Sigma) is unable to confirm
Height and Weight: Unable to manifest as an entity with mass
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Noble Phantasm: EX
■ Anti-Magic: EX
■ Overrun Territory: B
■ Watcher: B
A skill that represents the unique form of a Watcher’s contract with their Master. In this Heroic Spirit’s case, that means communicating with her Master via “shadows.”
■ Trials of _____: B
A variant of a certain anti-humanity skill. Watcher is able to bestow trials on lifeforms born from wombs by altering their luck. Because it is not powerful enough to manipulate fate, this ability is primarily used on Watcher’s own Master. Watcher’s Master is extremely likely to die.
■ Overlook All Creation: B
The ability to comprehend events taking place in the set area where Watcher was summoned. At rank B, it is limited to events observed via sight, hearing, and sensing magical energy.
■ Denizen of a Different Phase: A
A skill that indicates invincibility except under certain specific conditions. Watcher contradicts the current state of the world and therefore can never manifest with a body like other Servants. Conversely, Watcher is able to manifest only a portion of her body for less than 0.00001 seconds only in the moment that the conditions are met and she is destroyed.
■ (Obscured in volume 6)
■ (Obscured in volume 6)
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 3, Interlude: "The Passion of the Nameless Soldier"
- Fate/strange Fake Manga Chapter 14: "The Passion of a Nameless Soldier (Part 2)"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 3, Interlude: "Watcher"
- Fate/strange Fake- Volume 3, Interlude: "The Trials Begin"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 4, Interlude: "The Boy Does Not Believe In God"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 4, Interlude: "The Parade of Treachery"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 5, Interlude: "Mercenary, Assassin, Vampire I"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 5, Interlude: "Mercenary, Assassin, Vampire II"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 5, Interlude: "Mercenary, Assassin, "
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 6, Chapter 19 “As Dream and Reality are Both Illusion II”
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 4, Interlude: "Backstage at a Third-Rate Comedy"
- Fate/strange Fake - Volume 6, Interlude “A Beauty and the Sea; A Girl and a Mercenary”
- Ryohgo NaritaWP Twitter 7:28 PM JST · Jun 17, 2019
- TYPE-MOON Ace 12 - Pg. 105 - ---彼のサーヴァント。ウォッチャーはかなり謎めいた存在ですね。