Profile[edit | edit source]
Identity[edit | edit source]
Yan Qing was an outlaw who joined the Grand Assembly of the 108 Stars of Destiny during the latter half of Water Margin, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature. He was a short and handsome man with prodigious skill in both the martial arts and music, who entered the Great Assembly with his lord, Lu Junyi.
Of course, Yan Qing was a fictional character, but he is still known as a founding master of the Yan Qing school of martial arts, even outside of Water Margin. While the martial art’s origin story is itself a fiction, this famed outlaw’s renown as the founder of a martial art has boosted his importance.
Background[edit | edit source]
A fictitious fine fellow who appears in the “Water Margin”. While he had been an orphan from the beginning, he was picked up and raised by the wealthy Lu Junyì.
It had seemed that Lu Junyi’s love towards him was out of ordinary, that a theory had said that Lu Junyi had love to Yan Qing no less than he had his wife.
Yan Qing, who had grown into a fairskinned and graceful young man of small stature, together entered the Liang Shan Bo, displaying great efforts no less than his lord.
The Liang Shan Bo before long became the representation of the loyalist army and went impoverished. Due to that, Yan Qing, afraid of being thrown away due to having served his purpose, encouraged Lu Junyi to escape together with him., but Li Junyi, who had been scheduled to receive an award, paid him no mind.
The weeping Yan Qing then escaped Liang Shan Bo alone, his whereabouts afterwards unknown.
In Water Margin, he was one of the few survivors. However, surely enough, none knew whether or not that is what he had wished for.
Doppelganger[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Personality[edit | edit source]
A bright and friendly figure.
Due to being a ruffian, he is rebellious against the powers that be; but in regards to the Master he would attend to him/her in complete sincerity.
However, should the Master be someone excessively violent in attitude, he would probably either go away or otherwise attempt to break and train them into a good lord.
He is fundamentally sincere, handling the Master like a teacher would.
Ever bright and proficient in artistic skills, should the Master request of it he would probably play an instrument and so forth.
However, his true nature is the outlaw who stretched all the way to Liang Shan Bo, a man who pursues freedom.
Role[edit | edit source]
Fate/Grand Order[edit | edit source]
Subspecies Singularity I: Shinjuku[edit | edit source]
In Barrel Tower, he, Hessian Lobo, and EMIYA Alter are informed by Baal that Chaldea has sent Ritsuka into the Singularity. He hacked the Rayshift coordinates to make them fall, but it didn't go so well. After Hessian Lobo leaves in a rage, Yan Qing asks Baal about his plan regarding the Alliance. If it was him, he'd kill Ritsuka before they can see it coming. He is disappointed Baal's plan is for him to go third if Ritsuka survives the Phantom of the Opera and Hessian Lobo. He is a bit unnerved by EMIYA Alter saying Phantoms are also brainwashing device. But even if he is brainwashed, he sill honestly wants to kill Baal. He comments how stiff EMIYA Alter is after he leaves. Baal agrees but finds him easier to deal with than Yan Qing. While he's yet to figure EMIYA Alter out, he finds Yan Qing more troublesome to deal with. Yan Qin is suprised by this, thinking he's easy to understand. He reconfirms to Baal that he honestly wants to kill him. Baal calls him simple yet bizzare that he can't understand it, which he assures Yan Qing is a compliment.
He arrives in Kabukicho, disguised as Cursed Arm, after the Phantom and Christine have been killed. He stops EMIYA Alter from killing Ritsuka and James Moriarty, and convinces him to retreat. He then returns with Ritsuka's party back to their hideout.
He reveals the Alliance's objective is to destroy the planet, though Leonardo da Vinci finds that to be nonsense. He then "hears" someone skulking nearby, but Mash didn't detect anything. Yan Qing however claims they concealed their presence, suspecting they're an Assassin. He takes Ritsuka outside to look. There he says trust is accumulated over time, calling anyone who trusts a stranger unconditionally a fool. People can only be true friends and comrades when they each observe the other carefully, and overcome numerous hardships. Yan Qing asks Ritsuka if he is a such a person, and removes his disguise. He take them hostage, deciding it'd be more fun than killimg them. Artoria Alter and Jeanne Alter arrive to stop him, but he dodges their atttacks and escapes with Ritsuka. He repeatedly sends minions at the Alters to slow them long enough for him to escape. Artoria Alter soon exhausts herself after using Excalibur Morgan to destroy King Lear. Assassin takes the chance to finally escape with the now unconscious Ritsuka.
He takes them to Barrel Tower. After they wake up, he introduces them to Baal, the "Evil" Moriarty. Baal offers to return them to Chaldea in exchange for Chaldea not interfering with him. They refuse, but he leaves to give them time to reconsider. Yan Qing then introduces Ritsuka to the imprisoned William Shakespeare. He confirms what Shakespeare said about being tortured for a day, saying only agreed to create King Lears recently. He decides to torture him more painfully next time, and requests he make Macbeth.
Yan Qing later hosts a party for Shinjuku's wealthiest. He appears before his patrons disguised as Artoria Alter guarded by Hornets. He commends them for financing the Alliance to help rid all who defy them. He leaves them to celebrate after a couple patrons thank him and the Hornets for removing such dangers as the Coloraturas. A Hornet asks him what he wants to do with the money they collected. Yan Qing says to use some to buy more food and drink, and use the rest to set up a store in Kabukicho. He also orders the Hornets to ensure people will never consider defying the Alliance. He then prepares to leave when a Hornet suggests they take a couple women with them. Yan Qing agrees and takes a look around when he notices Artoria Alter. He kills the Hornet who let her in, and orders the another to call more Hornets to kill her. He also orders them to make up some excuse to kick the sponsors out. Ritsuka, Moriarty, and the Alters kill the Hornets, so Yan Qing sends in reinforcements, including Romeo and Juliet once he confirms the sponsors left. After Romeo and Juliet is destroyed, he joins the Hornets, disguised as one of them. Ritsuka shocks however him into revealing himself when they remove their disguise as part of Moriarty's plan. Yan Qin reveals his True Name, and fights the group. Sensing that he's going to lose, he activates a bomb under the building to collapse it, prompting the group to escape. He emerges from the rubble disguised as a civilian, along with a thug and a Hornet. He is fatally shot Moriarty after the latter and Sherlock Holmes deduced which one he was. He confesses he has the memories of every person he changed it. He wonders if he should've killed his lord so he could've died without being betrayed, with his heart still full of pride. He then disappears asking what happened to his pride.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Class Skills[edit | edit source]
- Presence Concealment (C Rank): Suppresses one's presence as a Servant. A Skill suitable for covert action. However, as he moves into preparations for offense, the rank of this skill drops considerably.
- Ruffian (A Rank): A composite Skill of the Riding Skill and Independent Action Skill. As an add on, it has the effect becoming stronger during banquets and such.
Personal Skills[edit | edit source]
- Chinese Boxing (EX(A+++) Rank): A Chinese Martial Arts style utilized by Yan Qing. The value of how much one persists in the martial arts that made becoming one with the universe its purpose. The degree of difficulty in acquiring it is of the highest level, and unlike other Skills, A rank is the level where one can say to have finally “learned it”. He has no tangible episode of quan fa in the original “Shui Hu Zhuan”; however, he is believed to be the originator of various existing quan fa. (Turning a fine fellow of legend into the originator of quan fa is itself a kind of legend.)
- Espionage (A Rank): The ability capable of infiltrating enemy’s organization as well as gaining powerful trust. If not even his name is known to the enemy’s side, he is able to put informations through illegal channels with no trouble at all.
- Skillful Star (A+ Rank): A skill denoting Yan Qing as one of the 108 Stars of Destiny, who were reborn as heroes. Because of his past incarnation as a demonic overlord, he was born with a calamitous karmic burden. Yan Qing was the Skillful Star, who excelled at the exquisite.
- Doppelgänger (EX Rank): A phantom installed in the manner of a formalwear. A transformation Skill by means of exceedingly diluting his “self”. While it is possible to copy a part of Skills, the same is impossible for Noble Phantasms. Originally it is an ability on the class of Noble Phantasm with the potential of perfect imitation; however, there is the fact that Yan Qing himself slightly avoids it, making it settle on a lower rank. If he ends up accepting it, it would probably be a high grade ability which alters his form unrestricted.
Noble Phantasm[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
 Fate/Grand Order - Yan Qing (Assassin) Profile [T]
Yan Qing - Assassin
Illustrator and Voice actor
Voice Actor: Nobuhiko Okamoto
Noble Phantasm: D
Chinese Boxing: EX
Skillful Star: A+
Presence Concealment: D
Ambush from Ten Sides - As if Shadowless
Rank: Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm
A star in the firmament, and a rascal in the land.
The man who was supposed to be just an illusion was generated together with his kenpou(1).
Well then, who am I!?
Level 1 Bond
Source: Water Margin
Alignment: Chaotic Evil Gender: Male
The star that he was burdened with is the Skillful Star
Level 2 Bond
Yan Qing is one of the ruffians introduced in the later-half of the Water Margin - a story that depicted the chivalrous thieves of Mt Liang, and one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature. Despite his small build, he has a handsome countenance, outstanding martial skills and exceled in performance with musical instruments. Joined the band of Mt Liang together with his lord, Lu Junyi.
Level 3 Bond
Naturally, he is a fictitious existence, but even in places far removed from the Water Margin, his name became well known as the founder of the Yanqingquan - a school of Chinese kenpou.
Of course, the whole founder thing was just a deception, but to push up a famous ruffian as the founder of a kenpou also held the nuance of adding value to it.(2)
Level 4 Bond
- Skillful Star: A+
One of those who are the reincarnations of the 108 stars said to bring misfortune.
A reborn demonic star, he is burdened with calamity and karma since his birth.
Yan Qing is the Skillful Star, which is extremely outstanding in being elaborate.
Level 5 Bond
"Ambush from Ten Sides - As if Shadowless"
Rank: A Type: Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm
Range: 1~3 Max Targets: 1 person
Shi Mian Mai Fu(3).
A clone(4) strike by means of the Yanqingquan’s peculiar movement techniques.
Although it has not reached the level of Magic, in the eyes of third party this would look like a combo by means of high-speed movement that simply cannot be grasped.
Such style was indeed a state in which not even a shadow would be projected on the ground, or something.
(1) roughly “pugilism”
(2) basically, it is just like modern day propaganda: you establish a connection between a product to someone famous in order to boost its appeal to the masses.
(3) roughly “ambush from ten sides”
(4) it pains me to say, but this really is just like that ability from Naruto
燕青 - アサシン
- Skillful Star: A+
- Fate/Grand Order material V - Yan Qing translated by castor212
- Fate/Grand Order: Epic of Remnant - Shinjuku: Malignant Quarantined Demonic Realm, Chapter 12: Palatial Dance
- Fate/Grand Order: Epic of Remnant - Shinjuku: Malignant Quarantined Demonic Realm, Chapter 2: Millenium Trap
- Fate/Grand Order: Epic of Remnant - Shinjuku: Malignant Quarantined Demonic Realm, Chapter 8: Empress Christine
- Fate/Grand Order: Epic of Remnant - Shinjuku: Malignant Quarantined Demonic Realm, Chapter 9: Free-Transforming Vagabond
- Fate/Grand Order: Epic of Remnant - Shinjuku: Malignant Quarantined Demonic Realm, Chapter 10: Prison Great Escape